Go Back   DealershipForum.com > Dealer Talk > General Discussions

Notices

General Discussions Car People talking about something other than the Car Business – Is there life outside of the Dealership?

View Poll Results: Will the 300m be fixed or totaled?
The insurance company will want to fix the car 0 0%
The insurance company will want to total the car and sell it at a salvage auction 11 84.62%
The insurance company will want to write a check for the car and allow you to keep it 2 15.38%
Voters: 13. You may not vote on this poll

Old 09-27-2012, 02:01 PM   #16
XDCX
Administrator

Default Well, the 300m is totaled and requires another inspection...

Farmers' Field Adjuster came out and looked at the 300m and took several pictures. Once he was done with the pictures he did the equivalent to an ACV Trade Assessment of a used car and even measured the tire tread and checked the condition of the transmission fluid.

He then told me he needed to complete his report and he'd likely get back to me in 20 minutes with a decision. He went to his car and 20 minutes later there was a knock at the door and he told me the 300m was totaled.

The next step is I'll be contacted by a Total Loss Adjuster - I think this means there's another inspection but I could be wrong.

It's probably a good thing that the 300m is totaled because I don't know that it would ever really be the same after getting hit that hard.
XDCX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2012, 03:49 PM   #17
XDCX
Administrator

Default Body Shop estimate was $5,200

One detail I omitted that I thought was interesting was the estimate from the Body Shop I went to yesterday. The Farmers Field Agent had an electronic copy of the estimate and I was surprised it was only $5,200.

I'm no expert when it comes to body shops but part of me wonders it's customary to low ball the initial estimate and then add "supplementals" once they get the job and have the car torn apart.

I could definitely sense a vibe at the Body Shop that they wanted an opportunity to fix the car. I can't blame them, I'm sure they're not going to make any money if all of the cars they inspect turn out to be totals.
Old 10-17-2012, 12:29 PM   #18
XDCX
Administrator

Default Farmer's settlement offer....

For those who may be interested, Farmer's has offered to settle the claim for $8,303.74. That figure assumes the Chrysler 300m was worth $7,726 and adds in sales tax and title transfer fees. (Farmers does not reimburse for Dealer Doc Fees and only pays Sales Tax based on the rate where the vehicle is garaged, not where the replacement vehicle is purchased.)

Farmer's will allow my Dad to retain the 300m for $1,407.68 once he can prove he's had the title branded as a salvage vehicle.

At one point I was thinking my Dad may want to keep the 300m and try to sell it off for a profit but now I'm thinking it's not worth the hassle. If my Dad can find a car he wants in the next few days I'll probably suggest he just take the check from Farmers and let them sell off the 300m at a salvage auction.
Old 10-25-2012, 09:15 AM   #19
XDCX
Administrator

Default Epilogue....

Well the saga with my parent's Chrysler 300m is finally nearing its end.

The insurance company has a check in the mail, the 300m was sold off to a father who was looking for a car for his 17 year old son and my Dad bought a 2006 Chrysler 300C with 29K miles.

Concerning the 300C, it's a nice one owner car that's sporting 22" wheels. I think my Dad's got the only 300C in his retirement community that's rolling on dubs...
Old 10-21-2013, 11:36 AM   #20
XDCX
Administrator

Default What is it about my luck and Toyota pickup trucks?

While it doesn't really go into the category of "Destroying the Family Fleet" my trusty Dodge pickup was damaged in a minor fender-bender at Lowe's Hardware last week.

Fortunately the accident wasn't my fault and even better, the person who hit my truck has insurance.

While the damage to the sheet metal on my truck is minimal, I'm a little worried that the collision may have bent the front axle on my 4x4 truck. I was turning full-lock to the left to park when the Toyota backed into my truck. The majority of the impact was from his rear bumper to my right front tire.

My truck is an old 1990 D/W series with a solid front axle mounted to leaf-springs. The leaf-springs and U-bolts look un-phased but I'm wondering if it's possible the axle tube is bent at the leaf-spring because the right front tire doesn't seem to sit correctly in the wheel well?

The truck still drives OK so maybe the front tire has always fit that way in the wheel opening and I've never noticed it?

It will be interesting to see how this experience compares to the 300m experience that I had to deal with last year. Both the other driver and I have the same insurance company so it should be pretty easy to resolve.
Old 10-21-2013, 12:01 PM   #21
chryslersrt8

I hope your accident is resolved to your satisfaction. In my area, the kiss of death is if the accident is solved through 1 company. It doesn't matter who is at fault...the same insurance company pays either way! That does not make the insurance company happy!
chryslersrt8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2013, 01:55 PM   #22
steve_biegler

I would say a quick trip to an alignment shop is in order.
steve_biegler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2013, 08:57 AM   #23
jayhawk

their job is to make the policy holder whole. if the settlement offer is not what your happy with, no problem, tell THEM to find you a suitable replacement. same make, model, milage, etc.,. color not important. car fax is, you work 80 hours 6 days a week and you cant take the time to find another car for your folks. this non confrontational tactic is usually good for a value bump. good luck.
jayhawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2013, 10:22 AM   #24
XDCX
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by chryslersrt8 View Post
I hope your accident is resolved to your satisfaction. In my area, the kiss of death is if the accident is solved through 1 company. It doesn't matter who is at fault...the same insurance company pays either way! That does not make the insurance company happy!
Both the other driver and I are insured by USAA and they have a really good reputation for taking care of their customers.
Old 10-22-2013, 10:25 AM   #25
XDCX
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by steve_biegler View Post
I spoke with the adjuster yesterday and he assured me that they'll check the front axle to make sure it's not bent.

I'm guessing that it would take a fairly substantial hit to bend an axle tube and given the weight and speed of the truck that hit me it's probably a non-issue. That said, I want to have it looked at just to make sure.
Old 10-22-2013, 10:41 AM   #26
XDCX
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by jayhawk View Post
their job is to make the policy holder whole. if the settlement offer is not what your happy with, no problem, tell THEM to find you a suitable replacement. same make, model, milage, etc.,. color not important. car fax is, you work 80 hours 6 days a week and you cant take the time to find another car for your folks. this non confrontational tactic is usually good for a value bump. good luck.
Thanks for the advice.

The sheet metal damage to my truck is so minimal it's not even worth getting repaired. I was tempted to not even file a claim but my concern over the front axle made me think it was necessary to go through the process just to make sure the truck's still safe to drive.

So far the insurance company has been great to work with - they called when they said they'd call and they have an Android App that makes it easy to upload photos and track the progress of the claim.
Old 10-22-2013, 11:19 AM   #27
chryslersrt8

USAA is absolutely one of the finest insurance companies to deal with both as a client and as a repair shop. I mistakenly assumed you had a mainstream insurance company which typically looks for "the cheapest way" to do anything.
chryslersrt8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2013, 11:17 AM   #28
XDCX
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by chryslersrt8 View Post
USAA is absolutely one of the finest insurance companies to deal with both as a client and as a repair shop. I mistakenly assumed you had a mainstream insurance company which typically looks for "the cheapest way" to do anything.
I've never had a claim experience with USAA but have always heard good things about their customer service.

My Dad was in the Air Force for four years and I was able to join USAA as his dependent and I've been with them ever since.
Old 10-25-2013, 11:51 AM   #29
XDCX
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by steve_biegler View Post
USAA had me visit a nearby AutoNation CJDR store with a body shop and they wrote an estimate.

The AutoNation rep was great and although he thought the axle looked straight he agreed that a Four-Way Laser Aligmnent should be done just to make sure. That's all I really wanted so I was a happy camper.

I have an appointment at the AutoNation CJDR dealership for next Tuesday to check the alignment and determine if the axle is bent or if I'm just a little paranoid....
Old 11-04-2013, 11:04 AM   #30
XDCX
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by XDCX View Post
I have an appointment at the AutoNation CJDR dealership for next Tuesday to check the alignment and determine if the axle is bent or if I'm just a little paranoid....
Just a quick update - AutoNation CJDR said the alignment was within specifications and the front axle's not bent. That's all I needed to hear.

I decided not to have the truck repaired since it wouldn't make sense to have one shiny fender on an otherwise faded truck so USAA will just send a check and we'll all be able to close out this matter. The entire estimate was for $650 and I've already paid $100 for the alignment so I'll net $550.

I thought the process was very fair and efficient and I have nothing but positive things to say about USAA and AutoNation CJDR of Seattle.

I did think it was interesting that the AN CJDR Body Shop quote cut the paint refinish labor allowance by 50% because the truck had faded paint. I didn't argue because I thought the estimate was very fair and I didn't want to take advantage of the situation.

It was interesting, however, that the repair estimate was lower because the truck had faded paint. I'm guessing that the insurance companies know it's unlikely that owners of vehicles with faded paint are going to have their vehicles repaired so they reduce the estimate.