Go Back   DealershipForum.com > Dealer Talk > Automotive Discussions

Notices

Automotive Discussions Car People talking about the Car Business This is the place where it happens

Old 10-19-2012, 11:18 PM   #1
AR2

Default Iacocca Endorses Mitt Romney

I thought this article was interesting, so here you go.

http://gretawire.foxnewsinsider.com/...click-to-read/
AR2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2012, 06:06 AM   #2
birch3x

Lee Iacocca was a huge influence on my decision to stay with the car business in the early 1980's. His autobiography written in 1984 was a best seller for a very good reason. Pick up a copy today, as everything in it is still valid. Guess I know where my vote is going...
birch3x is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2012, 01:19 PM   #3
possum

No "car guy" could possibly want Barry Soetoro back for 4 more.
possum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2012, 02:17 PM   #4
elmdodge

Lost a lot of respect for Lee . I believe He should have spoke up for longtime Chrysler dealers that were terminated . He was supposed to have been the dealer guy or so i have heard .
elmdodge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2012, 05:39 PM   #5
Jeff Duvall

Iacocca wrote a letter to the Auto Task Force supporting the dealers. Theirs a copy of it in Tammy's book " Outraged" unfortunately for us Rattner & Bloom new more about the car business than Iacocca did.
Jeff Duvall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2012, 06:58 PM   #6
DealerEx

Quote:
Originally Posted by birch3x View Post
Lee Iacocca was a huge influence on my decision to stay with the car business in the early 1980's. His autobiography written in 1984 was a best seller for a very good reason. Pick up a copy today, as everything in it is still valid. Guess I know where my vote is going...
I echo your sentiments...Iacocca WAS a "car guy" and understood what was happening in the world economy long before most political pundits. He called it like he saw it, and stated in plain english, that Japan was waging an economic war against the U.S. which would destroy numerous industries in our country, if left unchecked. He was the first to point out the partnership that Japanese manufacturers enjoyed with their government through MITI (Ministry of International Trade and Industry) which subsidized them aloowing them to sell products in the U.S. at a loss for several years in order to gain market share. In a period of 20 years, they completely took over the market in televisions, stereos, radios, and most other electronics...almost destroyed the U.S. steel industry...and established a strong position in the auto industry which will only continue to strengthen as imported manufacturers are allowed to use non-union labor and receive special tax treatment and financial incentives from our own government which are not available to domestic manufacturers.
DealerEx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2012, 08:45 AM   #7
XDCX
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by possum View Post
No "car guy" could possibly want Barry Soetoro back for 4 more.
OK, I'll admit I had to Google "Barry Soetoro" to figure out what you were talking about....
XDCX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2012, 08:50 AM   #8
XDCX
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by elmdodge View Post
Lost a lot of respect for Lee . I believe He should have spoke up for longtime Chrysler dealers that were terminated . He was supposed to have been the dealer guy or so i have heard .
I lost a lot of respect for Iacocca when he selected Bob Eaton instead of Bob Lutz to be his successor - but that's another story.

Concerning the people who stood up for the OLDCO dealers, the list is short. The NADA, numerous State Dealer Associations and automotive publications were all mostly silent as the plight of the OLDCO dealers unfolded.
XDCX is offline   Reply With Quote