Go Back   DealershipForum.com > Domestic Franchises and Independent Dealers > General Motors > Parts

Notices

Old 05-07-2014, 05:59 PM   #1
Lowaird1964

Default Parts warranty return question

Ok guys I haven't done parts warranty return in about 7 years. Just took over as parts manager. Where do I go to see if they requested a part back and what are the procedures on returning now. The last time I done one of these you still had to fill out the little yellow card, staple it using only ONE staple, and put it in the plastic baggie and attached it to the part. By the way my current warranty clerk has no clue
Lowaird1964 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2014, 05:15 AM   #2
steve_biegler

The Forum's parts gurus will probably need to know what manufacturer you are working with and what dealer operating system you have.
steve_biegler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2014, 08:50 AM   #3
FixedOpsGuy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lowaird1964 View Post
Ok guys I haven't done parts warranty return in about 7 years. Just took over as parts manager. Where do I go to see if they requested a part back and what are the procedures on returning now. The last time I done one of these you still had to fill out the little yellow card, staple it using only ONE staple, and put it in the plastic baggie and attached it to the part. By the way my current warranty clerk has no clue
It appears that you are a Cadillac Parts Manager according to your profile. While I do not have GM experience, I can still suggest some best practices. But, I am sure that you have a GM district manager that can help you with your compliance process.

Make sure you start with your DPSM to get all the mandatory compliance processes.

Start with the basics:

- ensure that all used warranty parts are returned to the parts department.

- Have a stamp made to stamp and sign the back of the RO indicating that the old part was returned to parts.

- If you have concerns getting these parts back from the techs, implement the $999.00 core charge theory. Place a $999 core charge on ALL parts that are sold to a warranty RO. Remove the core charge from the RO when the old warranty parts are returned to you by the tech. I have implement the strategy of "no new parts handed out without the old part first returned"... but it doesn't work. It will delay the shop from producing hours. Also, some DMS systems will allow you to place a "parts to be returned flag" fot he part being billed out. You can remove the flag when the core is returned. All of those examples will inform the service advisor not to close the repair order because a used part has not been returned to the parts dept.

- File parts in warranty bins by date. NOT by the last digit of the RO... a common way of saving them. The reason is simple, you will always have a result for all parts on your warranty shelf... either they will be "scrap" or "return to manufacture". As time moves on, you will see parts remaining on older shelves. Look at thos parts that have been sitting for a while and reseach them. You may find out things like... a parts was charged to policy instead of being warranty... or, the claim was never filed... etc... no matter what, bring those examples to the service manager and find out WHY.
Show him/her that you are watching what's in the best interest of the company.

- Fix it right the first time is not always the case....Save all old parts for at least 7 days past the date where your OEM says you have to "scrap" them. I have on a few occasions been asked for the old part back because the vehicle came back with the same condition because the repair did not fix the concern. If the parts was scrapped, and another repair was submitted, most times the original repair would be charged back to the dealer.

- Scrap Concerns: There are MANY used core vendors "scrap metal guys" that pay cash for used parts. Kick those people out the door and don't let them back in. All OEM's always mandate that scraped warranty parts MUST be thrown away and not sold to an outside core vendor. And, some OEM's will force the DPSM, district manager, to witness the destruction of those used cores. No matter what, by selling those cores to rebuilders, you support aftermarket companies efforts to compete with your OEM products.

Some parts departments sell used cores to create a cash supply to be used for parts meetings, lunches, parties, etc... My suggestion is to stop that habbit.

One dealer won't change the world, but think of it this way, you may stop some common technician's habits of selling used parts themselves. And, the quick access to cash may actually create negative results in your shop with employee moral, and may actually create a thief out of an employee that would otherwise be a model employee. I have seen many employees go south and get terminated when given access to money... and, prior to that entitlement, they were great employees.

Good Luck!
Fixedopsguy
FixedOpsGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2014, 09:30 AM   #4
Lakeshow

It's been a few years since I've had to do one, but I believe you'll find it in GM Global Connect. They used to put it in Global Warranty Management. As soon as you open that tab on the right hand side is a section showing which parts are called for return and the status of those parts. The return processes are available in the P&P manual if you want to find it there. Hope that helps!
Lakeshow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2014, 10:45 AM   #5
tnpartsguy

Default WPC returns

1) need copy of front and back of hard copy
2) attach copy of return request, above copies, folded into a quarter, attached to a warranty part tag form that is attached directly to the parts (all paperwork is in a bagged and attached to the warranty tag by ONE staple only.
3) Print your UPS label and attach it AND the lower half of the WPC request form to the outside of the package.

I just did 7 WPC returns in the last few days.............
tnpartsguy is offline   Reply With Quote