Go Back   DealershipForum.com > Domestic Franchises and Independent Dealers > Chrysler > Sales

Notices

Old 04-28-2010, 07:07 AM   #1
79LilRedExpress

Default Nada membership

Has NADA's conduct during this whole Project Genicide affected anyone else's position on membership ?

I have elected not to re-new our membership this year, and I will not attend their Convention.

I also have not filled out any J.D. Powers' surveys since they denounced the dealership franchise system...
And boy, does that piss-off the factory guys!
79LilRedExpress is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2010, 12:20 PM   #2
XDCX
Administrator

Default NADA is shrinking.....

I remember starting a thread earlier this year concerning the NADA based on a story that was in Automotive News. The message was the NADA is shrinking - there are fewer dealers in business and the ones who remain are less likely to be members of the NADA. Said another way, the pie is shrinking and the NADA's getting a smaller slice.

Perhaps a bigger concern to the NADA is two of their "cash cows" are losing ground - the NADA Used Car Valuation Guide and the Annual Convention.
XDCX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2010, 12:47 PM   #3
Txflyer

Never been to a convention, and I can book cars out just as easily on Route 1. Really don't see any need for the NADA in my store at this point. We've always gotten more benefit from the TADA (State Association) in the past.
Txflyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2010, 02:25 PM   #4
ohiobuckeyes

Quote:
Originally Posted by XDCX View Post
Perhaps a bigger concern to the NADA is two of their "cash cows" are losing ground - the NADA Used Car Valuation Guide and the Annual Convention.
Right about that...Most dealerships today are switching to BlackBook. GMAC forces dealerships to use it for Floorplaning and Book Value, along with Chase Auto Finance for book value. Only Huntington National and a local bank really need an NADA and the website is still free to get a book value on so that is how I get it for them.

Also think that since the late 90's early 00's (very wierd to type that) many dealership have been tighting up the pocketbooks and cutting expenses the only Dealer Group we are a member of is the State Assocation. And my state assocation give us dealers more help then anyone. Free Monthly meetings, Discounts on supplies, works comp. etc.

What does NADA really get you?
ohiobuckeyes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2010, 04:00 PM   #5
The StraightShooter

Gave DEAC a small fortune over the years and when it got down to brass tacks I was left to twist in the wind.
The StraightShooter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2010, 04:12 PM   #6
XDCX
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Txflyer View Post
We've always gotten more benefit from the TADA (State Association) in the past.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ohiobuckeyes View Post
Also think that since the late 90's early 00's (very wierd to type that) many dealership have been tighting up the pocketbooks and cutting expenses the only Dealer Group we are a member of is the State Assocation. And my state assocation give us dealers more help then anyone. Free Monthly meetings, Discounts on supplies, works comp. etc.
I agree with both comments 100%.

While I know some State Dealer Associations are better than others, it seems clear they do a much better job of actually representing individual dealers than the NADA does.

Part of my vision is to get to the point where the forum can offer each State Dealer Association their own section. It would be like AREA 51 - you would only be able to see it if you were a member.

Last edited by XDCX; 04-28-2010 at 05:02 PM. Reason: Correct typo - "their" vs "there"
Old 04-28-2010, 05:00 PM   #7
jayhawk

both nada and all state associations need to become militant defenders of their dealers franchise rights or they wont have anyone left to pay dues. they cant be everyones friend. its past time to unequivocably take the side of their dealer members. they are, after all, DEALER associations.
jayhawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2010, 06:20 AM   #8
lsx only

we use black book all the time
lsx only is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2010, 04:05 PM   #9
XDCX
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by The StraightShooter View Post
Gave DEAC a small fortune over the years and when it got down to brass tacks I was left to twist in the wind.
I was reading some of the comments on Automotive News today and thought it was interesting that the NADA doesn't have the resources to support dealers in arbitration with witnesses but the CRDR does.

The NADA has collected millions over the years but comes across as being a mostly symbolic organization. The CRDR isn't even a year old and runs on a shoestring budget and gets significantly more accomplished for their members.

Based on what I see, if the NADA was a stock, I'd short it....
Old 04-30-2010, 05:55 AM   #10
dodgequality

Dealership Forum has no budget, other than Scott Hogle's benevolence, and we get more information here than anywhere.
dodgequality is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2010, 08:21 AM   #11
XDCX
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by dodgequality View Post
Dealership Forum has no budget, other than Scott Hogle's benevolence, and we get more information here than anywhere.
Hey, thanks for the kind words. You always know what to say to make me smile and lift my spirits. Good Karma for you.....