Go Back   DealershipForum.com > European Franchises > BMW > Sales

Notices

Old 06-02-2014, 07:40 PM   #16
AR2

Quote:
Originally Posted by lsx only View Post
when u lease it will it come with a maintenance plan i hear of so many horror stories about german cars being so expensive to service.
Yes, I am leasing the car. I, too, have heard horror stories about German cars after the warranty runs out, so I think it is best to lease for 3 years and avoid the headache. The only problem is going to be turning the car in when the time comes.

This is the one thing I don't understand about German car companies. They build the best cars on the planet, but why can't they get the nagging quality problems taken care of like the Japanese? Just think how dominant the German car companies could be if their quality and dependability matched the Japanese.
AR2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2014, 02:11 PM   #17
AR2

Update: The car has landed. It came to the dealership yesterday afternoon. I saw the car today in the service department and it looks very nice. I won't take possession of the car until the clear bra is applied some time next week. So, the earliest I am anticipating picking it up will be next Saturday. I can't wait.
Old 06-17-2014, 01:05 PM   #18
XDCX
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by AR2 View Post
Update: The car has landed. It came to the dealership yesterday afternoon. I saw the car today in the service department and it looks very nice. I won't take possession of the car until the clear bra is applied some time next week. So, the earliest I am anticipating picking it up will be next Saturday. I can't wait.
That seems like a long time to have to wait to have a clear bra applied - I wouldn't think a vendor would take more than an hour or two to get that job finished.

I guess if you've waited this long another week isn't going to kill you.

I'd be curious to hear what the dealership delivery process is like - I'm guessing that there's not too much that you don't already know about the car.
XDCX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2014, 08:57 PM   #19
AR2

Quote:
Originally Posted by XDCX View Post
That seems like a long time to have to wait to have a clear bra applied - I wouldn't think a vendor would take more than an hour or two to get that job finished.

I guess if you've waited this long another week isn't going to kill you.

I'd be curious to hear what the dealership delivery process is like - I'm guessing that there's not too much that you don't already know about the car.
The problem with the clear bra was getting the car scheduled this week and getting a quote for the entire job. As of this past Friday, I wasn't firm on what parts of the car I wanted covered. I finalized my decision on Saturday, but it was too late for the dealership to take the car over to St. Louis. The dealership still had to inspect the car on Monday. Plus, I am working this entire week. So, add all those issues together and the earliest I figured I would see the car would be this Saturday. It works out better financially and logistically anyway.

I, too, am curious about the delivery process. So far, the dealership experience has been top-notch and very accommodating.
Old 06-26-2014, 08:56 PM   #20
AR2

I picked up the car yesterday and I am just starting to figure how to operate the never-ending technology. My Client Advisor went over everything and I was able to pick up some things. However, there is so much to learn that I'll be learning new things for quite some time. Needless to say, the BMW 435xi coupe rocks!

As I said earlier, the dealership experience was fantastic as well. They had the car sitting in the showroom ready to go. They just needed to add the front license plate bracket (Illinois requires both front and back plates, but the CA still waited to ask me if I wanted the front brackets drilled in), the finance/warranty process was painless (all the figures were agreed upon a couple of weeks earlier), and the new car prep/explanation was great as well.

I'll post some pictures in the next reply.
Old 06-26-2014, 09:01 PM   #21
AR2

Here are a few pictures:

Old 06-27-2014, 05:36 AM   #22
steve_biegler

I only have one question.......what's under the cover??
steve_biegler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2014, 12:07 PM   #23
XDCX
Administrator

Congratulations - the car looks awesome.

Also good to hear that the dealership experience was enjoyable and your "Client Advisor" was able to show you a few things on your new car that you were not aware of.

Does BMW recommend any break in procedure or can you simply drive the car like you've already owned it for months?
Old 06-27-2014, 09:30 PM   #24
AR2

Quote:
Originally Posted by steve_biegler View Post
I only have one question.......what's under the cover??
What's under the cover? That is my dad's Chrysler 300M Special he has been trying to sell. Anybody want a 2004 Chrysler 300M Special with 69,800 miles?
Old 06-27-2014, 09:39 PM   #25
AR2

Quote:
Congratulations - the car looks awesome.

Also good to hear that the dealership experience was enjoyable and your "Client Advisor" was able to show you a few things on your new car that you were not aware of.

Does BMW recommend any break in procedure or can you simply drive the car like you've already owned it for months?
Thank you. I am constantly amazed when I look at the car. I just can't believe it. I never thought I would own a BMW, and knowing my family history and background in cars, that is saying something.

The dealership experience has been great so far. BMW is supposed to contact me about the dealership experience some time next week, so I am anxious to know what questions they ask.

I understand there is a break in period, but not everybody agrees with it. Some people feel like you should drive it like you stole it, while others (like me) feel you should let the car settle in for a few hundred miles before getting on it. I will say that I have been tempted numerous times to test the car in sport mode, but I haven't done it yet. Usually the car is in comfort (default setting) or eco-pro (namely around town). You can feel a big difference between all three settings. The thing is, though, the car will get up to 80,90, 100 mph in any mode if you aren't paying attention.
Old 07-01-2014, 11:54 AM   #26
XDCX
Administrator

Quote:
What's under the cover? That is my dad's Chrysler 300M Special he has been trying to sell. Anybody want a 2004 Chrysler 300M Special with 69,800 miles?
The 300Ms were pretty good cars for that era - in many ways I think the 300M was a better car than the 300C in terms of space utilization. The 300M is a roomy car with a lot of trunk space given its overall size.

I'm sure you'll find a buyer - hopefully someone who is willing to pay-up for the low mileage.
Old 07-01-2014, 12:03 PM   #27
XDCX
Administrator

Quote:
I understand there is a break in period, but not everybody agrees with it. Some people feel like you should drive it like you stole it, while others (like me) feel you should let the car settle in for a few hundred miles before getting on it. I will say that I have been tempted numerous times to test the car in sport mode, but I haven't done it yet. Usually the car is in comfort (default setting) or eco-pro (namely around town). You can feel a big difference between all three settings. The thing is, though, the car will get up to 80,90, 100 mph in any mode if you aren't paying attention.
Break in periods seem to be a thing of the past with most OEMs I guess.

The most recent articles I've read indicate there's some value in varying the RPM range to allow the rings to seat. In the same vein I've read that it is not good to take a new vehicle on a long road trip where it will stay at the same RPM for an extended time.

By contrast, when I read a forum dedicated to PWCs (Personal Watercraft) break in periods are still a big deal. SeaDoo actually restricts the power that's available from the engine for the first ten hours of operation and apparently the ECU tracks the percentage of time the engine has been at WOT (Wide open throttle) during the break in period - essentially tattling on the owner if the engine comes in for a warranty repair.
Old 07-01-2014, 08:46 PM   #28
AR2

Quote:
The 300Ms were pretty good cars for that era - in many ways I think the 300M was a better car than the 300C in terms of space utilization. The 300M is a roomy car with a lot of trunk space given its overall size.

I'm sure you'll find a buyer - hopefully someone who is willing to pay-up for the low mileage.
I was impressed at first by the 300M when my dad took it for a test-drive. I thought it was the best Chrysler I had ever been in at the time. Now that he has had it for some time, I'm less impressed. The biggest thing I can see is that Chrysler didn't set out to build a great car (i.e. "Engineered to be Great Cars"), instead, the 300M was built to a price-point and it shows in the car. I mean, you can see that the Chrysler designers and engineers tried to make a world-class car, but in the end, they really didn't know how. I guess you can say it was a gallant effort by Auburn Hills, but it also displays why they had to have Mercedes and now Fiat assist in the car engineering for them. The 300M was the best Chrysler Corporation could do - and it just wasn't good enough.

I don't know if my dad will ever find a buyer for the car. He's had two inquiries and that is it. My belief is that people don't want a Chrysler 300M unless it is dirt-cheap. I think my dad would be better off trading the 300M for an early 2000 Dakota to replace his 1988 Dakota, but he can't find a decent long-bed Dakota. The Dakotas we do see are usually torn up and have that classic Chrysler paint-job we all know and love (hate).

I sort of wish he would move on to a Ford Ranger, etc..., but that will never happen. I wish he would dump Chrysler period and get a Chevy Malibu like my mom wants, but that won't happen as well.
Old 07-02-2014, 02:46 PM   #29
FixedOpsGuy

Quote:
I think the 300M was a better car than the 300C in terms of space utilization. The 300M is a roomy car with a lot of trunk space given its overall size.
The benefits of the old "cab forward" design.

LHS, 300M, Intrepid, Concorde, Eagle Vision, New Yorker, Ahhhhh the "LH" bodies. Lots of GOOD "Hours per RO" there. Transmissions apart in assembly line fashion. 2.7L overheating concerns. Hub Assemblies. Drive Axles. I could go on and on. I miss the good ole' days.

BRING BACK THE LH
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chrysler_LH_platform
FixedOpsGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2014, 10:21 AM   #30
XDCX
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by FixedOpsGuy View Post
The benefits of the old "cab forward" design.

LHS, 300M, Intrepid, Concorde, Eagle Vision, New Yorker, Ahhhhh the "LH" bodies. Lots of GOOD "Hours per RO" there. Transmissions apart in assembly line fashion. 2.7L overheating concerns. Hub Assemblies. Drive Axles. I could go on and on. I miss the good ole' days.

BRING BACK THE LH
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chrysler_LH_platform
I remember reading some story in one of the automotive magazines back in 1992 that suggested that LH should stand for "Last Hope" since Chrysler was, once again, in financial despair.

While the LH cars did have some quality concerns, I've always thought they were pretty decent cars as long as you didn't buy one with a 2.7 liter engine.