Go Back   DealershipForum.com > Dealer Talk > General Discussions

Notices

General Discussions Car People talking about something other than the Car Business – Is there life outside of the Dealership?

Old 01-05-2010, 09:06 AM   #1
MARV

Default Another HUGE reason why I love the car business....

I was one of those kids in school that sat in the back of the class spending my time daydreaming of being anywhere but where I was. 'What a boring place!' I would often say to myself which is why my grades were average at best. I couldn't wait to graduate so I could make my way out into the world. I skipped college even though a free education was offered me. I just couldn't bear the thought of 4-6 more years of boredom. I managed to find my way into the auto business at the ripe young age of 22 and had a blast driving fresh new cars. I still LOVE this business with all my heart and can't imagine doing anything else. If I had my way I would still have a demo in my driveway when my 95th birthday rolls around.

Some people have such a skewed opinion of what job satisfaction is that they think it can only be found in factory work or the service industry not to say these professions have no value or security but the mere fact that these jobs are proving to be unreliable in this economy further bolsters my decision.

Interesting read: http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/34691428...iness-careers/
MARV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2010, 10:30 AM   #2
XDCX
Administrator

That was an interesting read.

I agree that if you can find the right dealership/dealer there can be a lot of job satisfaction in the car business. I always thought it was cool that some of the most profitable dealers are the ones where the employees make good money and there's very little turn-over.

I remember years ago when a dealer explained to me why he liked to have the highest paid employees in his market area. His ability to attract and retain top talent was the obvious benefit, but the part I never thought about was the fact his employees knew they had a good job and they didn't want to do anything stupid to get fired.

That last point always stuck with me - especially when I read about cases involving embezzlement.
XDCX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2010, 11:26 AM   #3
crowe

Without a sense of accomplishment there is no happiness!

The worse thing that can happen to a thief, liar or even a lazy person is that they get away with it because they will likely repeat the behavior for the rest of their life.
crowe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2010, 05:11 AM   #4
CUD

Far too many companies are treating their employees as just a number on the balance sheet. In the never ending quest for a higher quarterly return too many people are losing their jobs. I find it ironic that something Henry Ford figured out almost 100 years ago still escapes the minds of most executives. Ford raised his employee's pay to the, then unheard of, $5 per day. Why? He stated if his employees couldn't afford to buy his cars he wouldn't have a market.

Look at today's environment. With all the layoffs there are less and less people able to contribute to the economy. What is the average business response? Let more people go. It is a downward spiral. And this time, I do not see these jobs coming back if and when a recovery occurs. Good paying, stable, manufacturing jobs have fled our shores and moved to countries that permit almost slave labor practices.
CUD is offline   Reply With Quote