Go Back   DealershipForum.com > Dealer Talk > Automotive Discussions

Notices

Automotive Discussions Car People talking about the Car Business – This is the place where it happens

Old 05-13-2016, 05:39 AM   #1
steve_biegler

Default 7 years past

Well another year has passed.

7 short years ago 789 letters were printed and delivered to UPS for overnight delivery. I'm going to guess many dealers didn't sleep well that night, I know I didn't.

The lawsuits that are going on have been so slow most everyone involved will have conveniently forgotten most details or have died by the time anything will be even remotely close to an end.

People keep saying "Let it go". Well I can't and I won't! My son would have been a 4th generation dealer. I feel the sorriest for him. I will never forget the mental and financial struggles that the government and Chrysler put my family through.

Well enough of that..........Tonight at 9:00 PM central time, I will raise a glass in honor of those 788 other businessmen that had their lives and their families and employees lives changed forever by no fault of their own. And we cannot forget our GM brothers that met the same fate only in a different way.

So Join me at 9 with a glass of your favorite beverage. I will be saying a prayer for all of "The 789".
steve_biegler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2016, 08:57 AM   #2
jayhawk

thanks for remembering.
no one outside the dealer body would understand the real pain caused to so many, for no good reason, supported by this current administration. criminal!!
jayhawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2016, 10:15 AM   #3
srt

Default Happy Anniversary

I won't let it go either due to the damage that resulted after 63 years in business. We have finally started the discovery process and hopefully it will not take 7 more years to go to trial. This was a poor solution to the bankruptcy of a large corporation. Chrysler may not be around when this thing gets some resolution. The arrogance of both the corporation and the government is a classic case of what not to do.
srt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2016, 08:06 AM   #4
DealerEx

Quote:
Originally Posted by srt View Post
I won't let it go either due to the damage that resulted after 63 years in business. We have finally started the discovery process and hopefully it will not take 7 more years to go to trial. This was a poor solution to the bankruptcy of a large corporation. Chrysler may not be around when this thing gets some resolution. The arrogance of both the corporation and the government is a classic case of what not to do.
Unfortunately, I believe both the administration and the factory got exactly what they wanted. Jim Press said "We've been given a once in a lifetime chance to remake the company the way we want it to be." The were given free reign to settle old scores with dealers and reward and punish as they saw fit. From the governments standpoint, they took credit for "saving the industry" in the eyes of the public, while putting thousands of dealers and employees on the street. They screwed the bondholders out of their first lien status on all assets of the corporations which the federal bankruptcy code grants them, and used that money to make the biggest political payoff in history giving the UAW 50% ownership of both GM and Chrysler for nothing.
DealerEx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2016, 08:49 AM   #5
jayhawk

absolute truth!
jayhawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2016, 08:53 AM   #6
57years

I tell my every person who asks what I do for a living..."Are you retired?? No, I am one of the 'Lucky' auto Dealers' that Obama put out of business! I lost everything, my standing in the community, my 70 employees with jobs making over $40,000.00 average, my retirement built into my real estate appreciation, including a heritage of 106 years in the car business."

At this point my wife elbows me and says, "Shut up, somebody...(meaning a Democrat...) might hear you and start a fight...."

And the person who asked...shrinks and walks away...or says..."How did he do that?" totally oblivious to what happened....

A Toast was given to those who carry on the fight..., a Toast was given to those who can not fight!

Gosh, I just can not shut up!
57years is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2016, 05:06 PM   #7
DealerEx

There's rarely a month goes by that I don't "enlighten" someone about what happened in the auto industry in 2008-2009 and how our own government participated and made possible the theft of private property from individual US citizens without recompense and for no reason, and when they hear about the dealers...the employees...the generations of family businesses... the theft from the bondholders...the payoff to the UAW, etc... they are amazed and ask "why didn't I ever hear any of this...I just thought a lot of dealers closed down because there businesses weren't making any money". I will NEVER shut up about it.
DealerEx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2016, 11:59 AM   #8
conn02

As a current CJDR dealer and a terminated GM dealer, I have mixed emotions when I remember this time. I am thankful that I retained my franchises but I had many good friends that lost their livelihoods just out of spite, what the factory called progress. And the pittance I was paid for Chevrolet, Buick could hardly be qualified to be classified as compensation. But since I signed the no-sue wind down paperwork, I am unable to join any lawsuits
conn02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2016, 10:06 PM   #9
The StraightShooter

I can assure you that the proof does exist showing unconstitutional action but you must subpoena records from both companies to prove the negative. Look at the initial wind down plans vs what actually ended up happening.
The StraightShooter is offline   Reply With Quote