Go Back   DealershipForum.com > Dealer Talk > Automotive Discussions

Notices

Automotive Discussions Car People talking about the Car Business – This is the place where it happens

Old 06-24-2016, 06:49 AM   #1
steve_biegler

Default WOW. This class action didn't take long.

Leave it to some law firm to look for a quick buck.

I've never driven one of these but from reading the comments it sounds much more a driver error issue than design. I also need to ask, if it was your wife or son that this had happened to would there be so much hype? I think not. But if its a "big star" look out.

Sometimes I wish we could go back to 3 channels on the tube and no internet.

http://www.autonews.com/article/2016...grand-cherokee
steve_biegler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2016, 03:53 PM   #2
XDCX
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by steve_biegler View Post
I also need to ask, if it was your wife or son that this had happened to would there be so much hype? I think not. But if its a "big star" look out.
I agree 100% that the fact the person who died was famous is what made the story front-page news and explains FCA's quick response.

In fairness to FCA it sounds like they had already advised their dealers of what the fix would entail before the accident happened.

As I understand it the fix will be a software update that will automatically put the transmission in "Park" if the computer detects that the driver door is opened and the vehicle speed is 0. It sounds like such a simple/logical solution I have to wonder why FCA didn't incorporate the solution into the original design?

I also read that other OEMs use this transmission and shifter but they included a safety feature utilizing an automatic parking brake to prevent a possible roll away condition.
XDCX is offline   Reply With Quote