Go Back   DealershipForum.com > Dealer Talk > Automotive Discussions

Notices

Automotive Discussions Car People talking about the Car Business – This is the place where it happens

Old 03-28-2016, 10:10 AM   #46
mryan55

Don't have a lot of time to comment right now, but the new CEO Chip Perry has issued some statements in advance of the NADA convention:

http://www.autonews.com/article/2016...-riled-dealers

A per-month subscription fee is along the lines of what has been offered in some states where the broker model has been contested.
mryan55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2016, 02:18 PM   #47
XDCX
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by mryan55 View Post
Don't have a lot of time to comment right now, but the new CEO Chip Perry has issued some statements in advance of the NADA convention:

http://www.autonews.com/article/2016...-riled-dealers

A per-month subscription fee is along the lines of what has been offered in some states where the broker model has been contested.
Thanks for the link - I just had a chance to read the article and thought it (and the comments that followed) were very interesting.

In many ways I think TrueCar is changing the way they do business because the current model is not viable. In essence TrueCar gets almost all of their revenue from car dealers and many car dealers, even those who do business with TrueCar, hate TrueCar.

TrueCar indicates they're going to shift from being a pure consumer advocate and be a dealer advocate as well - that's a difficult tight-rope to walk.

Perhaps most interesting to me was the comment that TrueCar will not offer any third party finance services in the future and any future programs addressing the customer's trade-in will be "opt-in" for the dealers. Also interesting was TrueCar's agreement that they will purge all "non-public" information they receive from their member dealers after 90 days.

Maybe I'm a skeptic but even with the chnages I still don't see how TrueCar adds any value to the car buying process - at the end of the day it's just one more mouth to feed...
XDCX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2016, 09:25 AM   #48
mryan55

I'm not sure of the value that TrueCar adds to the car buying process, but I guess that it at least provides data for the consumer who is shopping online.

With the third-party finance offers (and especially if additional manufacturer incentives like the "TrueCash" program piloted with Fiat) going away I am not sure, however, what TrueCar offers that more established websites don't already offer.

At least on a pay-per-month or pay-per-lead program TrueCar can probably forecast revenue a lot more accurately than on a pay-per-sale program.

It will also keep TrueCar from demanding more and more DMS access in order to justify the pay-per-sale fees that have long kept them afloat.
mryan55 is offline   Reply With Quote