Go Back   DealershipForum.com > Regional Forums > Midwest Region > Automotive Discussions

Notices

Old 03-11-2008, 11:37 AM   #1
XDCX
Administrator

Smile Blue Law in Iowa - Everyone's happy....

As a West Coast person who has spent a fair amount of time in Los Angeles, I'm used to the 24/7 lifestyle. I guess that's why this story about Iowa's Blue Law caught my attention.

In Iowa it's against the law to close a car deal on Sunday. It's been that way for decades and there appears to be no interest in changing the law.

Customers seem to like the law because it provides them an opportunity to look at vehicles without the need to interact with the sales staff. And dealer principals seem to like the law because it lowers their expenses without impacting overall car sales.

I doubt that the Blue Law could withstand a court challenge, but I think it's even more interesting that there's no one that wants to challenge it.

Here's a link to the news report: http://www.thehawkeye.com/Story/cars-031008
XDCX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2008, 02:45 PM   #2
bluechevrolet

Here in MO too....no car sales. Kansas allows it though....and since we're so close to the line, we do lose deals to Kansas Dealers on Sunday's.
bluechevrolet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2008, 09:40 PM   #3
SHACOS
Super Moderator

No sales in Colorado either. I know of Texas as well. But, in Colorado, the liquor store are going to sell on Sunday now. Maybe the dealers will be selling cars too. Who knows?

I think there is an opprotunity with Sunday sales. Most salespeople are on commission or guarantee salary anyway, so the only cost would be in overhead. Sunday service might be an opprotunity too.
SHACOS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2008, 02:49 PM   #4
XDCX
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by mollechevrolet View Post
Here in MO too....no car sales. Kansas allows it though....and since we're so close to the line, we do lose deals to Kansas Dealers on Sunday's.
It's great that you have Sundays off but it must be frustrating to lose deals to Kansas.

I'd imagine that the State gets their sales tax money regardless of where the customer buys the vehicle so they're probably not too concerned about your loss of business?
Old 03-17-2008, 02:53 PM   #5
XDCX
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by SHACOS View Post
No sales in Colorado either. I know of Texas as well. But, in Colorado, the liquor store are going to sell on Sunday now. Maybe the dealers will be selling cars too. Who knows?

I think there is an opprotunity with Sunday sales. Most salespeople are on commission or guarantee salary anyway, so the only cost would be in overhead. Sunday service might be an opprotunity too.
Wow, I guess the Blue Laws are more prevalent than I thought. (I didn't know about Colorado or Texas.)

In Iowa it appeared very clear that no one wanted to change the law - the customers and dealers seemed to like it. I wonder what type of support the laws have in Colorado and Texas?
Old 03-21-2008, 09:43 AM   #6
bluechevrolet

Well....sometimes I come here on Sunday and pass out my business card to anyone walking the lot....just try to answer questions and hope they come back when we're open!

A lot of people like to get out on Sundays so they can take their time looking and not have sales people hassle them!
bluechevrolet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2008, 04:45 PM   #7
XDCX
Administrator

Default Website for Blue Law Dealers: SundayBidSale.com

I thought of this thread when I was reading the April 7th issue of Automotive News and saw an ad directed toward Texas dealers that are closed on Sundays.

The website for dealerships to use is: www.SundayBidSale.com

The website for customers to use is: www.SunBidSale.com

The concept is to have a selling system in place for customers that want to visit the dealership on Sundays. The company provides a website, signage and a "bidding station" for customers to use when the dealership's closed.

I don't know enough about the company to endorse them, I just thought it was an interesting concept. It appears they have dealers enrolled from three different states. I wonder how it's been working?
Old 07-16-2008, 12:41 PM   #8
bruce350

I am not so blue...........

We are on the border of Indiana, here in Kentucky, and they have had a blue law for years. No big deal. We strictly have one salesperson for a few hours on Sunday. It is pretty much a given that you can shop hassle-free on Sundays in this area. Everyone needs a break.
bruce350 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2008, 09:41 AM   #9
XDCX
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by bruce350 View Post
I am not so blue...........

We are on the border of Indiana, here in Kentucky, and they have had a blue law for years. No big deal. We strictly have one salesperson for a few hours on Sunday. It is pretty much a given that you can shop hassle-free on Sundays in this area. Everyone needs a break.
Bruce350 - Welcome back and thanks for the post.

I've never worked in a state that has a Blue Law so having the stores be closed on Sundays would take some getting use to.
Old 01-29-2009, 07:41 AM   #10
JimD
Supporting Sponsor

As an Iowa native and a recent transplant from Texas to Wisconsin...a little clarification is in order.

In Iowa, there was some years back, a very HARD push by Dealer Principals to change the law and allow business on Sundays. (C'mon, we're talking about the car biz here. If they could work you bell-to-bell x 7, they would, and we all know it.) Anyway, sales personnel along a major section of auto retailers, all got together and put the kabosh on it. One Saturday, at a prearranged time, EVERY Salesman on every lot along this road; got up and went home. Left customers standing there, left customers sitting at their desks. They just got up, went to their cars, and went home. The push to remove the blue law, went away almost immediately.

In Texas, it IS legal to be open and do business on a Sunday, provided you were closed on Saturday. IOW, a 7-day work week is not allowed. The store must be closed either Saturday or Sunday.

Last edited by JimD; 01-30-2009 at 06:49 AM.
JimD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2009, 09:24 AM   #11
dafuzz1956

Wisconsin(I am sure Jim knows) is closed on Sundays also, Damn we some guarenteed tim with the family, sometimes on my day off I end up with 4 - 6 hrs (after 18 holes of course).
dafuzz1956 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2009, 09:53 AM   #12
zohpy

In Fla it's a 7 day work week. I used to take every other Wed. off in Miami. When I moved to Central Fla and found out we were closed on Sunday's I was overjoyed. One guy owns basically every franchise in the county. He started opening his Toyo store on Sundays, then the Nissan store followed. Now every franchise is open (domestics) on the last Sunday of the month. It won't be long before they are open every Sunday I'm afraid. So much for living in the Bible Belt.
zohpy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2009, 09:55 AM   #13
JimD
Supporting Sponsor

Nebraska is the same way...open 7/d week. Which is why I consistently refused to work for a Nebraska dealership. I was EMPLOYED by the DP, not OWNED by the DP.
JimD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2009, 01:38 PM   #14
XDCX
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by zohpy View Post
In Fla it's a 7 day work week. I used to take every other Wed. off in Miami. When I moved to Central Fla and found out we were closed on Sunday's I was overjoyed. One guy owns basically every franchise in the county. He started opening his Toyo store on Sundays, then the Nissan store followed. Now every franchise is open (domestics) on the last Sunday of the month. It won't be long before they are open every Sunday I'm afraid. So much for living in the Bible Belt.
I smiled when I read your post because I think that happens in all markets where it's not against the law to be open seven days a week.

I remember years ago the dealers on Maui used to have a "gentleman's agreement" that they would be closed on Sundays. A new dealer came in and bought an existing store - he sold 8 cars the first Sunday he was open.

It didn't take long before everyone was open on Sundays.