Go Back   DealershipForum.com > Domestic Franchises and Independent Dealers > Chrysler > Sales

Notices

Old 08-27-2009, 12:56 PM   #1
XDCX
Administrator

Default Waiting for the plan.....

The Detroit Free Press released a story today that echos a question we've been asking here for months - Why is Chrysler being so silent about their future product plans?

The article indicates it's unclear if Marchionne is committed to Chrysler's electric vehicle program, ENVI. For those who remember, the ENVI vehicles were unveiled on CNBC by a boastful Bob Nardelli who used them as an example of Chrysler's engineering prowess. Now we don't even know if they'll be built.

I've read several media reports suggesting that Chrysler would be releasing their "plan" soon, but the report in The Free Press only indicates that the plan is expected later this year.

Here's a link to the report - click here

As a side note, the report pointed out that Ford sold more hybrid vehicles last month than Honda did. I found that to be surprising and impressive. Props to Ford - they've got some great product available today and the pipeline is full.
XDCX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2009, 10:41 PM   #2
XDCX
Administrator

Default Well, we'll be waiting until the end of November....

There have been several reports over the past week indicating that Chrysler will release their "plan" by the end of November.

I still don't understand the need for the delay or why Marchionne thinks it's strategic to keep everyone waiting?

Then again, I also don't understand why he'd admit to the press that Chrysler was in worse shape than he originally thought?

As I've stated countless times, I really want to see Chrysler and Marchionne succeed, but it's hard not to be critical of his most recent decisions and his continued refusal to invest any money into Chrysler.
Old 09-21-2009, 08:35 AM   #3
XDCX
Administrator

Default Article in Automotive News...

There's an article on the front page of this week's Automotive News that hints about the direction Fiat's going to take with Chrysler's "plan."

While there are no concrete details, Chrysler's three brand managers define how they want the Chrysler, Jeep and Dodge brands to evolve.

Perhaps the biggest surprise is Fong's vision for Chrysler where he's quoted as saying he wants the brand to be a notch above Lincoln and Cadillac. While that's certainly a lofty aspiration, where's he going to get the money for product development?

I guess I'll withhold comments until we see the "plan."
Old 09-21-2009, 08:46 AM   #4
SHACOS
Super Moderator

If you read the latest issue of Automobile magazine, the plan seems pretty clear. Use Alfa Romeo and Fiat to bring people into the CJD showrooms.

There are even photoshop'd pictures.
SHACOS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2009, 09:12 AM   #5
XDCX
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by SHACOS View Post
If you read the latest issue of Automobile magazine, the plan seems pretty clear. Use Alfa Romeo and Fiat to bring people into the CJD showrooms.

There are even photoshop'd pictures.
I haven't seen the magazine yet, I'll have to check it out.

As I understand it, the only Fiat vehicle that will be sold in the U.S. will be the 500 and it's still unclear if all the Chrysler dealers will be able to sell that vehicle or if it will require a separate franchise agreement.

Concerning Alfa Romeo, it will be really interesting to learn what plans they have for the U.S. At this point I'm still not certain if Marchionne's goal is to fix Chrysler so he can secure 100% ownership, or if he just wants to use it to gain access to the U.S. market?

The details of the "plan" will help answer this question.
Old 09-23-2009, 08:38 AM   #6
XDCX
Administrator

Default Viewpoint of the "plan" from Autoextremist.com

Peter De Lorenzo used his Rants Page this week to review the news that Chrysler will release their "plan" by the end of November. Once again, I find that I'm in agreement with many of his thoughts.

First he points to the complete lack of news/direction from Chrysler since Fiat took control - that's something we've discussed here on a number of occasions.

Second, he takes issue with the fact that Chrysler hopes to be a full-line vehicle manufacturer. Like Peter, I'd much rather see Chrysler focus on a few segments of the market and gain market share by producing the best vehicles in that segment.

Third, he takes direct aim at Fong's statement that the Chrysler brand will be a notch above Lincoln and Cadillac. He argues that Fiat doesn't have the time or the capital to accomplish this goal.

Finally, he suggests that Fiat's "plan" should focus on what's going to be done in the next 24 months, not five years.

Here's a link to the AutoExtremist.com website - click here
Old 09-23-2009, 01:38 PM   #7
F&I Pro

Xman, I agree, without a well thought out short term, long term looks dubious at best...I believe an old saying is "crawl before you walk and walk before you run"..right now, not sure Chrysler can even sit up..
F&I Pro is offline   Reply With Quote