Go Back   DealershipForum.com > Dealer Talk > Automotive Discussions

Notices

Automotive Discussions Car People talking about the Car Business – This is the place where it happens

Old 05-24-2014, 01:23 PM   #1
AR2

Default Dealership That Time Forgot

I ran across this story on Fox News and thought it would make an interesting read for the forum. Some of it sounds like my grandpa's old dealership, but the building and franchise don't go back that far.

Those must have been the days. I'm just a little too young to have experienced them, but my grandpa's dealership was somewhat close.

http://www.foxnews.com/leisure/2014/...ntcmp=HPBucket
AR2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2014, 01:40 PM   #2
possum

Looks like my place, and we are still open!
possum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2014, 11:51 AM   #3
XDCX
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by AR2 View Post
I ran across this story on Fox News and thought it would make an interesting read for the forum. Some of it sounds like my grandpa's old dealership, but the building and franchise don't go back that far.

Those must have been the days. I'm just a little too young to have experienced them, but my grandpa's dealership was somewhat close.

http://www.foxnews.com/leisure/2014/...ntcmp=HPBucket
That is pretty cool. (And also a little bit sad.)

I bet there are several other stores in rural America that are in similar condition - dealerships that closed down and remained virtually untouched ever since.
XDCX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2014, 11:55 AM   #4
XDCX
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by possum View Post
Looks like my place, and we are still open!
Happy to hear you're still open and taking care of customers. It's been a tough fight for the 789 and there have been a lot of stores that closed down over the past five years.

On a different note, I was just thinking of you a few weeks ago - I found your first post on the forum when I was reading the thread about Jim Press' "meltdown" conference call.
Old 05-28-2014, 06:54 PM   #5
ohiobuckeyes

Default Matthew Motor Company Brilliant, Ohio

When reading this article one dealership came to my mind. Matthews Motor Company, this 90 year old former Chevrolet dealership still family owned and operated since 1924/1925.

Here is the Google Street View of the dealership....

ohiobuckeyes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2014, 10:34 AM   #6
XDCX
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by ohiobuckeyes View Post
When reading this article one dealership came to my mind. Matthews Motor Company, this 90 year old former Chevrolet dealership still family owned and operated since 1924/1925.
That's pretty cool - keeping a business operational (and in the same family) for 90 years is no small feat.

I checked out the Matthews Motor Company website and learned that they were one of the GM OLDCO dealers that lost their franchise when GM went bankrupt.

It was interesting to read how the dealership survived the Great Depression (they operated two school buses) and WWII when there were no cars being built for public consumption. (they operated two coal trucks.)