Go Back   DealershipForum.com > Domestic Franchises and Independent Dealers > General Motors > Parts

Notices

Old 03-13-2015, 01:09 PM   #1
TORGY

Default tire price specials not on DMS tapes

how does everyone handle the tire price specials that are not on the DMS updates?
I sent a suggestion to the DFOAB. buy they were no real receptive to my suggestion. My suggestion was as follows......

Has it been considered to add a column to the invoice detail screen in GM tire billing to include an asterisk or some type of an indicator to help identify which tires were purchased at a discounted price? To me it doesn’t look like it would be that difficult to do because the billing screen appears to be excel form. But then again I am not a computer programmer either. This would come in handy when doing a monthly reconciliation with the office. By easily being able to identify the discounted tires and making the necessary adjustments at the end of each month.
TORGY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2015, 01:10 PM   #2
TORGY

their follow up......

HI Glen, thanks for your feedback on the tires that are reduced after the price tape goes out. I think the piece you would still be missing are the tires that are in your inventory that you already bought at higher price. You would still have to reduce those also to get your proper inventory values. The way the IT landscape is here at GM now I don’t realistically see that we are going to be able to do anything further on gmtirebilling to help this. I just don’t have the resources to make that change, and if we did I think that only helps you part of the way. I think the best way is to take the monthly bulletin I send out on the tires we reduced after price tape (spreadsheet attached) and then at the end of the month bang that against your inventory to see which ones you have in inventory to make the adjustment. Most of the time you might not have any of these tires in your inventory as many of them are low volume. All the tires that you bought during the month at the lower price will be correctly invoiced to you at the lower price.
Old 03-13-2015, 01:12 PM   #3
TORGY

and another.....

Hi Glen, one other thing I failed to mention, is one of the main reasons we send the bulletin out early in the month is for you to look at the excel file and concentrate on the first 2 or 3 tires on the list (it has a ranking in the last column to show if it is high volume or not). The top 50 tires in our program make up about 75% of all sales so if it is not in the top 50 odds are you might not carry it or buy it. If you notice that you have one of these tires in your inventory or ones you typically buy, at this time you should go into your DMS system and change the price and cost to the new lower amount. This way your inventory will be correct for the month and at month end.
Old 03-13-2015, 01:14 PM   #4
TORGY

I question why would you change the cost on tires that you already have in inventory?
Old 03-13-2015, 03:49 PM   #5
57years

Because it costs your Dealer money, and your gross percent commission, BUT not theirs. You can sell tires below original cost, and buy more...!
57years is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2015, 05:47 AM   #6
zep33

I would only change it and change it on the RO if you are selling the tire from inventory and are going to purchase another at the lower price. I wouldn't change them in your DMS as next month they'll be going back to the normal price.

I leave the DMS alone and take any discounts on those as 687 and bill everything else out normally.

But then again, I only buy tires on the program when GM is running a rebate that has to be sent to GM. Checked pricing on a Goodyear tire the other day - $96.24 from GM. Bought it from my supplier for $73. Just happened to be the day my rep and his boss were visiting too so I sent them back with a copy of my invoice and the screenshot from GM.
zep33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2015, 12:20 PM   #7
XDCX
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by zep33 View Post
But then again, I only buy tires on the program when GM is running a rebate that has to be sent to GM. Checked pricing on a Goodyear tire the other day - $96.24 from GM. Bought it from my supplier for $73. Just happened to be the day my rep and his boss were visiting too so I sent them back with a copy of my invoice and the screenshot from GM.
Well, that was good timing...

What was the reaction of your rep and his boss? I don't know much about the GM tire program but I remember in the old days Chrysler used to tell their dealers that buying tires via the Chrysler program would always be the cheapest way to go.
XDCX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2015, 12:23 PM   #8
zep33

She completely understood when the facts were right there. She said she could understand $5 to $10 since it does go towards our objectives, etc.. but did not like seeing a $23 difference.
zep33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2015, 09:58 AM   #9
TORGY

I also had that happen once and pretty much heard the same response and that she was going to look into it...needless to say I never heard anything else about it.