Go Back   DealershipForum.com > Dealer Talk > Automotive Discussions

Notices

Automotive Discussions Car People talking about the Car Business – This is the place where it happens

Old 05-22-2014, 10:18 AM   #1
XDCX
Administrator

Default Wholesale auction passes over a vehicle because it has an outstanding recall?

I was watching Insurance Auto Auction's Detroit auction this morning where they were selling off some late model/clear title vehicles that were part of a rental fleet.

I was listening to the audio portion of the auction between vehicles when the auctioneer responded to someone attending the auction and indicated "All of the (Ford) Escapes had been pulled because of an outstanding warranty recall."

Is it a standard practice now that the wholesale auctions will not sell a vehicle that has an outstanding warranty recall or is it more likely that the client (the rental fleet) pulled the vehicles because of the potential liability?

Additionally, as a person who buys cars at a wholesale auction, would you be in favor of having the auction verify that all of the recalls had been completed before a vehicle is available for auction or would you rather check for recalls yourself once you've purchased the vehicle?
XDCX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2014, 07:06 AM   #2
adastra

With this sue happy nation, they are just covering their butts. Just like Fiat Chrysler ordering all those Vipers donated to schools to be destroyed after a kid hurt himself joyriding in them.

The ambulance chasers would have a field day suing whatever corporation that sold the cars with existing safety issues.
adastra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2014, 10:56 AM   #3
Lakeshow

Probably going to see the same thing with the GM Traverse/Enclave/Acadia. New ones are parked for one of the biggest sales weekends of the year...I think there's a pretty popular quote on here that fits right in.
Lakeshow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2014, 12:06 PM   #4
XDCX
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lakeshow View Post
Probably going to see the same thing with the GM Traverse/Enclave/Acadia. New ones are parked for one of the biggest sales weekends of the year.
I only spent a limited amount of time on the Internet over the weekend - I read the headline that GM was grounding the Traverse/Enclave/Acadia but never determined the reason why or how long the grounding would last.

Given GM's poor PR as it relates to the Ignition Switch Recall I'm sure they're being very cautious and not trying to add any fuel to the fire.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lakeshow View Post
I think there's a pretty popular quote on here that fits right in.
It doesn't appear that our member zep33 has read this thread yet....
XDCX is offline   Reply With Quote