Go Back   DealershipForum.com > Dealer Talk > Automotive Discussions

Notices

Automotive Discussions Car People talking about the Car Business – This is the place where it happens

Old 10-14-2012, 10:15 AM   #1
shwngo

Default Need some clarity on Ohio law

I have searched the web for hours and can not find this anywhere.

I worked for a local dealer group who changed the doc fee "per the law" that any vehicle from $1 up $2499.99 was to be charged a 10% doc fee and everything $2500 and up was our normal $250 doc. I have since switched dealerships and the new one said they know of no such law. Can anyone point me in the right direction to find out what the fact is?
shwngo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2012, 01:21 PM   #2
mr4t60e

Disclaimer: I am NOT a lawyer and am not rendering legal advice. That being said...

ORC 4517.261 states that: "A motor vehicle dealer may contract for and receive a documentary service charge for a retail or wholesale sale or lease of a motor vehicle. A documentary service charge shall be specified in writing without itemization of the individual services provided. A documentary service charge shall be not more than the lesser of the following:

(A) The amount allowed in a retail installment sale;

(B) Ten per cent of the amount the buyer or lessee is required to pay pursuant to the contract, excluding tax, title, and registration fees, and any negative equity adjustment."
mr4t60e is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2012, 01:52 PM   #3
ohiobuckeyes

From The OADA Website -

•For motor vehicle transactions totaling more than $2499.99, a dealer may charge a documentary service charge of up to $250.

•For motor vehicle transactions totaling $2499.99 or less, excluding tax, title, registration fees and any negative equity adjustment, a dealer may charge a documentary service charge no greater than 10% of that amount.

The last dealer I worked for Charged $40.00, the current dealer charges $225 and it's going up to $250.00 next month.
ohiobuckeyes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2012, 05:57 AM   #4
XDCX
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr4t60e View Post
Disclaimer: I am NOT a lawyer and am not rendering legal advice. That being said...

ORC 4517.261 states that: "A motor vehicle dealer may contract for and receive a documentary service charge for a retail or wholesale sale or lease of a motor vehicle. A documentary service charge shall be specified in writing without itemization of the individual services provided. A documentary service charge shall be not more than the lesser of the following:

(A) The amount allowed in a retail installment sale;

(B) Ten per cent of the amount the buyer or lessee is required to pay pursuant to the contract, excluding tax, title, and registration fees, and any negative equity adjustment."
Quote:
Originally Posted by ohiobuckeyes View Post
From The OADA Website -

•For motor vehicle transactions totaling more than $2499.99, a dealer may charge a documentary service charge of up to $250.

•For motor vehicle transactions totaling $2499.99 or less, excluding tax, title, registration fees and any negative equity adjustment, a dealer may charge a documentary service charge no greater than 10% of that amount.

The last dealer I worked for Charged $40.00, the current dealer charges $225 and it's going up to $250.00 next month.
Thanks to both of you for stepping-up and helping answer a question from a new member.

When I first saw this thread I figured that ohiobuckeyes would know the answer but it's great to hear it from two different members.

On a side note, I had never heard of a state that capped their Doc Fee as a percentage of the selling price.
XDCX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2012, 07:16 AM   #5
shwngo

Thank you guy's. I thought that was the case but our comptroller said there was no such law so i needed to find the code which you provided to show him.
shwngo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2012, 05:12 PM   #6
ohiobuckeyes

Here is the link from the Ohio Revised Code website

http://66.161.141.185/orc/4517.261

codes.ohio.gov/orc

4517.26 1
ohiobuckeyes is offline   Reply With Quote