Go Back   DealershipForum.com > Domestic Franchises and Independent Dealers > Chrysler > Service

Notices

Old 01-02-2011, 06:42 PM   #1
XDCX
Administrator

Default Did Chrysler ever fix the 2.7 V6 or are they still failing?

Over the years I've noticed tons of 1998 and 1999 LH cars that were selling cheap because the 2.7 V6 was shot due to a sludge condition. Lately I've been noticing the problem still plagues some of the 2001 - 2004 JS sedans and convertibles. I even saw a 2005 Magnum that was selling cheap because of a 2.7 V6 issue.

Did Chrysler ever fix the 2.7 or is it just a lower percentage of the newer units fail?
XDCX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2011, 10:19 PM   #2
XDCX
Administrator

Default 2006 Dodge Charger with 86K miles at Copart

Here's a 2006 Dodge Charger with 86K miles at Copart that's being sold with a "mechanical" disclosure. The Charger has a 2.7 V6 and the listing does not include the "Engine Start" logo. (Copart has an icon/logo they include with the listing if they're able to start the engine - in this case it's reasonable to assume the mechanical issue is the engine.)

The current high bid of $4,650 does not meet the seller's reserve.

Old 01-05-2011, 09:54 AM   #3
JoeRocket

I haven't seen a disproportionate amount of them fail. 3.5s though? Yeah...
JoeRocket is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2011, 03:57 PM   #4
XDCX
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeRocket View Post
I haven't seen a disproportionate amount of them fail. 3.5s though? Yeah...
Interesting. What failures are you seeing with the 3.5 liter? (Also, what model is the engine typically in and how many miles do the engines go before they fail?)
Old 01-06-2011, 01:19 PM   #5
JoeRocket

Generally in LX vehicles with over 60K miles. Had a couple overheat and kill the heads but most have been rod bearing failures. Been a slew of them in the past 6 months.
Old 03-08-2011, 10:29 AM   #6
JoeRocket

OK, forget what I said. Good Lord we're covered up in failed 2.7s right now...lol.
Old 03-08-2011, 07:04 PM   #7
XDCX
Administrator

Quote:
OK, forget what I said. Good Lord we're covered up in failed 2.7s right now...lol.
Thanks for the update.

I just checked the Copart Salvage Auction - they've got 14 Dodges and 9 Chryslers with 2.7 liter engines that are being sold with a mechanical disclosure. They're mostly 98 - 04 LH vehicles but there were a couple of Dodge Magnums too.

From a parts perspective, I'd think the failures would be a Home Run. Don't most of the repairs require a complete reman long-block?
Old 03-09-2011, 03:00 PM   #8
JoeRocket

Quote:
Originally Posted by XDCX View Post
From a parts perspective, I'd think the failures would be a Home Run. Don't most of the repairs require a complete reman long-block?
None of the extended warranty or insurance companies will let us use a factory long block any longer. We're down to having to buy used long blocks from a salvage yard (no kidding). SOMETIMES they'll let us get a aftermarket reman long block, but it's rare.

Here we are, the dealership, fixing the car like we're Bubba's Discount Auto Repair and Bait. It's sad.
Old 03-09-2011, 09:24 PM   #9
mr4t60e

I sometimes wonder about some aftermarket service contracts that were sold by less reputable independent dealers. I had to argue with an adjuster to spring for new (not used, new) ball joints and tie rod ends for a Chevy S10. Isn't buying used front end parts kind of like buying used underwear at a garage sale?

Quote:
None of the extended warranty or insurance companies will let us use a factory long block any longer. We're down to having to buy used long blocks from a salvage yard (no kidding). SOMETIMES they'll let us get a aftermarket reman long block, but it's rare.

Here we are, the dealership, fixing the car like we're Bubba's Discount Auto Repair and Bait. It's sad.
mr4t60e is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2011, 07:38 AM   #10
XDCX
Administrator

Quote:

That's not good. I'm sure your technicians aren't too happy about working with used parts or installing a replacement engine that will likely have the same failure in another year or two.

I know Chrysler Service Contracts had a provision in their contract that capped the amount of the repair they'd authorize to the Retail Book value of the car. If the repair (using Mopar parts) was going to cost $4,000 but the car only booked for $3,000, the customer got a check for $3,000 and kept the broken car and the service contract was canceled.

Do the aftermarket companies offer this option? From the customer's perspective they'd probably be a lot better off using the repair money to buy another car than to have a used 2.7 engine installed in their existing car.
Old 03-10-2011, 12:31 PM   #11
possum

I was at the Manheim D/FW Auction today, and dealers look at every Chrysler product to see if its a 2.7. I asked a couple about it, and they said they will not offer anything on a 2.7L product.
possum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2011, 01:11 PM   #12
DealerEx

They are definitely avoided at the auctions due to engine problems and the cost to repair/replace them. I'm not even considering the damage to a dealership's reputation when telling the customer the warranty they sold them won't pay to fix it right. From the used car dealer's viewpoint you can't afford to spend $3-4K to replace it with a longblock in a car thats only going to bring 5 or 6K retail...and due to the high failure rate the price of a 100,000+ mile used engine at the salvage yards is 1500 or more so your looking at $3k by the time you get it in, plus all the hassle.
DealerEx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2011, 02:07 PM   #13
possum

They are similar to the 2007 model 6.7L Dodge diesel, and the 6.0L Ford diesel...sell-proof.
possum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2011, 07:49 PM   #14
XDCX
Administrator

Default Anyone remember the old GM Diesels?

Quote:
Originally Posted by possum View Post
I was at the Manheim D/FW Auction today, and dealers look at every Chrysler product to see if its a 2.7. I asked a couple about it, and they said they will not offer anything on a 2.7L product.
It was a little ahead of my time, but does anyone remember the Blue Book adjustment for the first generation of GM diesels? It was back in the 80s when GM offered a diesel based on their 5.7 liter gas engine - as I recall the "Deduct for Diesel" was almost 50% of the vehicle's base value.

Cadillac's V4-6-8 debuted shortly after the diesel debacle. GM and Detroit sure built a lot of crappy cars in that era.
Old 03-10-2011, 09:43 PM   #15
79LilRedExpress

Quote:
Originally Posted by XDCX View Post
It was a little ahead of my time, but does anyone remember the Blue Book adjustment for the first generation of GM diesels? It was back in the 80s when GM offered a diesel based on their 5.7 liter gas engine - as I recall the "Deduct for Diesel" was almost 50% of the vehicle's base value.

Cadillac's V4-6-8 debuted shortly after the diesel debacle. GM and Detroit sure built a lot of crappy cars in that era.
Yeah, I think it was a $3000 option TO GET the 350cid Diesel

And a $3000 deduct to GET RID of it.

Most customers that I knew who had the Diesel, had it replaced with a 350 Gas Engine
79LilRedExpress is offline   Reply With Quote