Go Back   DealershipForum.com > Domestic Franchises and Independent Dealers > Chrysler > Sales

Notices

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-07-2009, 12:55 PM   #1
XDCX
Administrator
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Posts: 14,861
Default Marchionne's interview in Automotive News

While the interview really didn't cover any new ground it was still an interesting read.

Obviously I take issue with Marchionne's statements regarding the health and viability of the U.S. Dealer Network, but I don't think I'd want to hear him reveal the truth either. (Telling the truth would do more harm than good and may scare away customers who would otherwise buy a Chrysler vehicle.)

On the plus side, it's nice to hear he knows that the U.S. consumer is different than the European consumer and the A and B segment vehicles are not likely to be big sellers here.

Conversely, it's somewhat distressing to hear that he thinks Chrysler's current advertising campaign is an example of something that's going well. It would seem to verify earlier reports that Marchionne played a role in pre-approving all the TV commercials before they aired.
XDCX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2009, 08:06 AM   #2
XDCX
Administrator
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Posts: 14,861
Default CEO role for Fiat and Chrysler to be split within 2 years

Another news report yesterday indicates that Marchionne will drop his current dual-CEO role in the next two years.

To the extent I've been critical of Marchionne for his silence in the past I think it's great he's been more accessible to the media. He even stated he's open to a meeting with the Chrysler dealers if that proves to be necessary.
XDCX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2009, 09:43 AM   #3
ssdd
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Posts: 1,045
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by XDCX View Post
While the interview really didn't cover any new ground it was still an interesting read.

Obviously I take issue with Marchionne's statements regarding the health and viability of the U.S. Dealer Network, but I don't think I'd want to hear him reveal the truth either. (Telling the truth would do more harm than good and may scare away customers who would otherwise buy a Chrysler vehicle.)

On the plus side, it's nice to hear he knows that the U.S. consumer is different than the European consumer and the A and B segment vehicles are not likely to be big sellers here.

Conversely, it's somewhat distressing to hear that he thinks Chrysler's current advertising campaign is an example of something that's going well. It would seem to verify earlier reports that Marchionne played a role in pre-approving all the TV commercials before they aired.
They have not gotten the November financial statements in yet I can bet they wont be able to say that after they do... every dealer I have talked to lost a ton of money in November...
ssdd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2009, 10:11 AM   #4
XDCX
Administrator
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Posts: 14,861
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by ssdd View Post
They have not gotten the November financial statements in yet I can bet they wont be able to say that after they do... every dealer I have talked to lost a ton of money in November...
That's an excellent point.

If you were to measure the health of the Chrysler Dealer Body based on the Financial Statements that followed the spike in sales caused by the CARS program it probably would be a rosy picture.

A review based on November Financial Statements would definitely tell a different story.
XDCX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2009, 03:16 PM   #5
LJS
Senior Member
 
Join Date: May 2009
Posts: 291
Default

November was the worst month we have ever had (profit wise) since my family got into the business in 1985. We are in the black for the year luckily.
LJS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2009, 03:35 PM   #6
Ralph
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Posts: 636
Default

November was the worst month I've had in 29 years. Guess that's kinda like since 1985... :-)
Ralph is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2009, 04:00 PM   #7
s32741bb
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Posts: 113
Default

The scary part is that December for us is starting out slower than November.
s32741bb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2009, 04:17 PM   #8
Txflyer
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Posts: 953
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by s32741b View Post
The scary part is that December for us is starting out slower than November.
Same here.
Txflyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2009, 05:27 PM   #9
Ralph
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Posts: 636
Default

Ugh....same here. The good thing is I have my MSR letter they're begging me to sign that shows me under 50% and the Customer care/SGS "independent ""trial"" review" of my facility and practices on Monday. Like there's nothing else more pressing with Chrysler right now but hire an outside company to evaluate us poor saps? But in fairness...I don't know what I'd do if I was running Chrysler...check that...I do know what I'd do but most wouldn't like the decision. LOL :-)
Ralph is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2009, 07:17 AM   #10
ssdd
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Posts: 1,045
Default

same here, worst month ever since 1976
ssdd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2009, 07:39 AM   #11
LJS
Senior Member
 
Join Date: May 2009
Posts: 291
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ralph View Post
and the Customer care/SGS "independent ""trial"" review" of my facility and practices on Monday. Like there's nothing else more pressing with Chrysler right now but hire an outside company to evaluate us poor saps?
I don't know about the rest of you guys, but this review from SGS has put me in such a bad mood I feel like I want to start kicking trash cans. We are at 106% MSR, our sales volume over 08' is actually up about 39%, we are profitable for the year, our CPS is in the upper 90's. Now the last thing I need is some guy who has probably never sold a car, more less ran a dealership coming out here and he's gonna tell us how to run something that my family has built and sweated over for twenty four years?


I guess I am really getting grouchy in my old age, but I feel a scene coming on like in The Godfather when Tom Hagen goes to California to talk to the big movie producer for Johnny Fontaine and they are sitting having dinner and the movie producer starts yelling at Tom calling him some slang names for an Italian and telling him to "get the hell out of here".
LJS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2009, 08:35 AM   #12
possum
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Posts: 1,096
Default

My opinion is that someone with no money at risk, or in your facility, will find it very easy to say you need to upgrade.

Heck, its a job for them ($), and no risk to them.
possum is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Facility Upgrade Story on Automotive News Txflyer Sales 2 01-04-2010 01:20 PM


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 04:43 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright DealershipForum.com - 2008 - 2016