Go Back   DealershipForum.com > Domestic Franchises and Independent Dealers > General Motors > Sales

Notices

Old 12-13-2012, 01:17 PM   #1
XDCX
Administrator

Default Any thoughts about GM's new pickup?

General Motor released their 2014 Chevrolet and GMC pickups to the media today - they're the first new pickups from GM since 2006.

Here's a link to a report from Reuters that provides a good overview of how important the new trucks are to General Motors - click here

In my opinion the trucks look very similar to GM's current offering and the big variable will be pricing. GM hasn't announced what the pricing will be for the new trucks and given that their dealers are still sitting on a mountain of 2012 and 2013 inventory I'm betting the prices will be high so GM can minimize the incentive dollars necessary to sell off the 2012s and 2013s.

What are your thoughts - has GM "leapfrogged" the competition or are they just catching up?
XDCX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2012, 01:29 PM   #2
birch3x

Interesting report. Automotive news has it also. I'd not like to be a GM dealer sitting on '12 and '13 models when my frequent truck buyers say ' no thanks, I'll wait for the '14's.
birch3x is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2012, 04:19 PM   #3
Lakeshow

I was severely disappointed, definitely not a leapfrog in my opinion.

Is it an improvement over the current model? Yes, it would appear so on paper, the upgrade list is actually quite long. They totally missed it on styling, again my opinion.

Is it enough to regain lost market share and increase the shrinking gap Dodge is closing? Not a chance in hell.
Lakeshow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2012, 06:04 PM   #4
AR2

I'm not impressed by what I see either. The exterior looks like the same truck (only sharpened a bit better) and the interior looks cheap. The drivetrains better be as impressive as the press release states otherwise there will be high incentives needed to move this truck when it hits the market. It just looks like GM mailed it in with this new truck; I was expecting better.

I'm getting a pretty bad vibe about GM lately. It appears GM is aiming for mediocrity when it really needs to start aiming for the stars. The new Malibu is lackluster and has been panned by all the media, the new Buick Encore begs the question "why?", the upcoming Impala isn't all that impressive (in my opinion), and the ATS still falls short due to its drivetrains. I'm afraid GM will screw up the Corvette and next Camaro. It is like the guys and gals in Detroit aren't even trying.

Oh well, there is still Ford... eh, well, maybe not. I hate to say it, but the Detroit car companies are losing me as a potential customer. I've been feeling pretty depressed about the Detroit car companies lately, and this latest example of mediocrity from GM only addds to it.
AR2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2012, 10:19 AM   #5
XDCX
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lakeshow View Post
Is it enough to regain lost market share and increase the shrinking gap Dodge is closing? Not a chance in hell.
I totally agree.

To the extent GM will likely be using this platform for the next five to eight years I think they were far too conservative with the styling. If the truck looks somewhat dated today, what will it look like next year when Ford introduces their new F-150?

GM may have made great strides with the powertrains and their interiors but I don't think any of that matters if a customer isn't attracted to the truck's exterior styling. Time will tell...
Old 12-17-2012, 10:34 AM   #6
XDCX
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by AR2 View Post
I'm afraid GM will screw up the Corvette and next Camaro. It is like the guys and gals in Detroit aren't even trying.
I'm worried about the Corvette too. As I understand it GM will unveil the 2014 Corvette at the Detroit Auto Show in just a couple of weeks. In my opinion the current Corvette is simply fantastic and I'm concerned that GM will do something to screw it up.

Of all the OEMs I think Ford has the distinction of having some of the biggest screw-ups with the 1974 Mustang II and the 1980 Thunderbird. Both of those cars were so bad, in my opinion, that Ford's lucky the cars didn't kill-off their respective nameplate. (Ironically, both vehicles were launched during the Iacocca years at Ford - I wonder why Lee let these vehicles make it to market?)

Old 12-17-2012, 12:52 PM   #7
tnpartsguy

Default eh

Quote:
Originally Posted by XDCX View Post
I'm worried about the Corvette too. As I understand it GM will unveil the 2014 Corvette at the Detroit Auto Show in just a couple of weeks. In my opinion the current Corvette is simply fantastic and I'm concerned that GM will do something to screw it up.

Of all the OEMs I think Ford has the distinction of having some of the biggest screw-ups with the 1974 Mustang II and the 1980 Thunderbird. Both of those cars were so bad, in my opinion, that Ford's lucky the cars didn't kill-off their respective nameplate. (Ironically, both vehicles were launched during the Iacocca years at Ford - I wonder why Lee let these vehicles make it to market?)

The early Fox-body Mustang wasn't BAD, it just wasn't what consumers wanted. You can't force the market, and thats what Ford did then, and what GM is trying to do now. I don't want anything with a 3.6 that GM makes. That engine is junk. It's loud. And using Dexos1 oil isn't helping a thing.
Too bad the 3.8's emissions couldn't be tamed- that was a great engine.
tnpartsguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2012, 07:31 AM   #8
lsx only

I have seen the truck in person and the new vette I like both.The inside is all i have heard our customers complain about in our current trucks.The 3.6 motor is a rocket very strong just a few timing chain problems in our shop from time to time.
lsx only is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2012, 08:20 PM   #9
AR2

Quote:
Originally Posted by XDCX View Post
I've thought about getting a C6 Corvette many times, but I just haven't made the move. I'm still kicking myself for skipping the 2007 Corvette Z-06 that I had a chance to look at, but the timing just wasn't right.

The current Corvette is a fantastic car. In fact, the current Corvette is so good that Motor Trend picked the current ZR-1 over the SRT Viper a few days ago. I was kind of surprised by the verdict, but the older ZR-1 held its own against the much newer Viper and even beat it around Mazda Raceway Laguna Seca.

Last edited by AR2; 12-20-2012 at 08:19 PM.
Old 12-19-2012, 08:27 PM   #10
AR2

Quote:
Originally Posted by lsx only View Post
I have seen the truck in person and the new vette I like both.The inside is all i have heard our customers complain about in our current trucks.The 3.6 motor is a rocket very strong just a few timing chain problems in our shop from time to time.
I hope the new products are good. I just don't trust the decisions made by CEO Dan Akerson and I'm afraid the products won't be as good as they could and should be. I would like to be proven wrong.