Go Back   DealershipForum.com > Dealer Talk > Automotive Discussions

Notices

Automotive Discussions Car People talking about the Car Business – This is the place where it happens

Old 04-10-2008, 11:03 AM   #1
AmexBlackG5

Default General Inventory Questions

What's a rough estimate of cars you have in your inventory?

How many trailer's do you receive in per week with new inventory

How many trade In's do you take in per day or weekly?
AmexBlackG5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2008, 08:36 AM   #2
XDCX
Administrator

Thanks for the post - sorry that no one has provided an answer.

The site's been pretty quiet this week. I'm still trying to figure out what works best to drive traffic to the site resulting in active members.

In answer to your question, it really depends on the store. The store that I worked at only did about 60 - 90 New and Used per month. Our New Car inventory tended to go from feast to famine - it seemed like we always had either too many or not enough.

We tended to wholesale many of the trade-ins. The Service Department was struggling for business and wanted to totally recondition every car we sent to them. There's nothing worse than taking a trade-in for a good ACV and then finding out you're buried in the car after it goes through the Service Department.

Thanks again for the post - hopefully others will chime in with their stories.
XDCX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2008, 07:25 PM   #3
SHACOS
Super Moderator

You'd better believe I would have answered if I was directly involved in my company's inventory.
SHACOS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2008, 10:16 AM   #4
XDCX
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by SHACOS View Post
You'd better believe I would have answered if I was directly involved in my company's inventory.
SHACOS - You're the best....

You've been a great supporter of the site and I appreciate your contributions.
Old 04-12-2008, 11:55 PM   #5
AmexBlackG5

Quote:
Originally Posted by SHACOS View Post
Could you please ask someone at your dealership for a rough estimate of the figures? Its very hard to grow a niche forum with constant traffic
AmexBlackG5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2008, 08:51 AM   #6
SHACOS
Super Moderator

Well..I do have rough estimates. I work for corporate, so we have 108 different stores. On average we like to keep our inventories relatively small to cut down on flooring expense and the overall liability of having new cars sitting on relatively unprotected lots. I would say we average 350 cars on inventory (new and used) for our domestic stores and somewhere around 150 to 200 at our imports. We do have a couple of import stores (Toyota) which break the mold and have upwards of 400 to 500 cars.

New cars come in weekly. Most of our Stores get 10 to 12 a week on average. Trade in's are a little harder to average out. I would say 50% of our deals bring in a trade on average, so probably 10 to 12 trade in's a week on average as well.
SHACOS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2008, 07:51 AM   #7
XDCX
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by AmexBlackG5 View Post
Could you please ask someone at your dealership for a rough estimate of the figures? Its very hard to grow a niche forum with constant traffic
Thanks for the support - I agree that it's difficult to build traffic for a new Forum.

That said, I remain 100% convinced that there is a need for a place like Dealershipforum.com.

Thanks again for the support and have a great week.
Old 04-24-2008, 08:27 AM   #8
dodgeboy

Default Inventory

We are a stand alond Dodge store in a semi-rural market. We are cutting our new inventory. So far in '08 we've cut our count from around 175 and our target is 120. At times in the recent past we have had well over 200 units in stock. We have a record of our sales for the past 22 years by month and model. Forcasting inventory needs depends on someone getting a handle on a particular cars lead time, and estimating sales baised on seasonal and historical needs. 4X4s in the fall, Mini Vans in the spring ect. The wild card may be fuel and incentives. We got caught very heavy in Diesel trucks which were good sellers, but no more. We are committing more rescorces to used inventory, trying to stock about 80 to 100. What a nutty business!!
dodgeboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2008, 11:27 AM   #9
XDCX
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by dodgeboy View Post
We are a stand alond Dodge store in a semi-rural market. We are cutting our new inventory. So far in '08 we've cut our count from around 175 and our target is 120. At times in the recent past we have had well over 200 units in stock. We have a record of our sales for the past 22 years by month and model. Forcasting inventory needs depends on someone getting a handle on a particular cars lead time, and estimating sales baised on seasonal and historical needs. 4X4s in the fall, Mini Vans in the spring ect. The wild card may be fuel and incentives. We got caught very heavy in Diesel trucks which were good sellers, but no more. We are committing more rescorces to used inventory, trying to stock about 80 to 100. What a nutty business!!
I agree with everything, especially the last part. (What a nutty business!!)

I started another thread on Chrysler's request for a 60 Day Production Commitment as part of their 2009 Dealer Sample Meetings. I think it would be hard to order that far in advance given the current selling climate.