Go Back   DealershipForum.com > Domestic Franchises and Independent Dealers > Chrysler > Sales

Notices

Old 03-22-2010, 08:30 AM   #1
XDCX
Administrator

Default Dodge drops plans for Hybrid Ram Pickup

Chrysler issued a press release today indicating they've dropped plans to build a two-mode hybrid based on the Ram pickup. The pickup was scheduled to go into production later this year.

While initially I thought this seemed like a poor decision, I was surprised to read GM's only selling about 100 hybrid pickups per month. If the market's really that small, it's smart to walk away and let GM spend the R&D money supporting hybrids. Additionally, I read that GM was not going to license their technology for the next generation hybrid due in 2013 so the Ram would have only had a limited production run.

Here's a link to the report I read from pickuptrucks.com - click here

I guess this decision makes those Hybrid Durangos and Aspens even more rare.
XDCX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2010, 10:20 AM   #2
Txflyer

To me this is a sign of intelligent life at Chrysler. Back when we had Chevy, we sold a whopping total of 1 hybrid.
Txflyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2010, 10:46 AM   #3
XDCX
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Txflyer View Post
To me this is a sign of intelligent life at Chrysler. Back when we had Chevy, we sold a whopping total of 1 hybrid.
I was really surprised to read that GM was only selling about 100 hybrid pickups per month - I would have lost money on that bet.

I remember seeing a GM commercial where they compared the fuel economy of one of their hybrid SUVs to a MINI Wagon -it seemed like a great commercial. I assumed the hybrids were selling strong for GM.
Old 03-22-2010, 11:40 AM   #4
SHACOS
Super Moderator

I just don't think the whole hybrid idea makes sense if your not saving 10-15 MPG over a traditional engine. Correct me if I'm wrong, but the Silverado hybrid only improved MPG by a small amount (1 or 2 MPGS).
SHACOS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2010, 11:56 AM   #5
Txflyer

Quote:
Originally Posted by SHACOS View Post
I just don't think the whole hybrid idea makes sense if your not saving 10-15 MPG over a traditional engine. Correct me if I'm wrong, but the Silverado hybrid only improved MPG by a small amount (1 or 2 MPGS).
You are correct. The big selling point for our customer was that the bed had regular 120V outlets in the bed. He could pull up to a construction site and plug in his tools while running them off the hybrid battery. He didn't care about the 1mpg better fuel mileage.
Txflyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2010, 12:51 PM   #6
SHACOS
Super Moderator

Oh, I didn't know about the 120V outlets. Still not worth the extra $$$.
SHACOS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2010, 01:01 PM   #7
CUD

Putting a hybrid drive system on a big truck actually makes a great deal of sense. You will get the greatest percentage gain in fuel economy. The Prius has such a low cd that I wonder what the mileage numbers for that car would be with a conventional drive train.

The issue is more one of public perception. Toyota has done a good job of making people think a hybrid must be a small, economical car and not a big truck.

The GM hybrids also were not a true hybrid drive system.
CUD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2010, 05:10 PM   #8
XDCX
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by CUD View Post
Putting a hybrid drive system on a big truck actually makes a great deal of sense. You will get the greatest percentage gain in fuel economy.
That makes sense. I remember reading a story in the local Seattle newspaper that GM was working to develop a hybrid system for the City Transit System using the logic that these vehicles burned so much fuel that a 20% improvement would be sizable.

I don't know how it ever turned out, but I remember the early reports were there was almost no fuel economy improvement with the hybrid buses.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CUD View Post
The GM hybrids also were not a true hybrid drive system.
Good point, as memory serves the only part of the powertrain system that was actually different was the transmission.
Old 03-22-2010, 05:37 PM   #9
SDCJ

Guess that hybrid training was a waste.
SDCJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2010, 06:26 PM   #10
ohiobuckeyes

Quote:
Originally Posted by SDCJ View Post
Guess that hybrid training was a waste.
Do not forget about those Special Tools!!!
ohiobuckeyes is offline   Reply With Quote