Go Back   DealershipForum.com > Regional Forums > South Central Region > Automotive Discussions

Notices

Old 02-20-2012, 08:04 AM   #1
tnpartsguy

Unhappy Jim Reed Hyundai-Subaru (was Chevrolet) Sold

To the Martin Automotive Group of Bowling Green KY.

Sad day when one of the oldest Chevy dealers in Nashville is totally gone.
tnpartsguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2012, 10:04 AM   #2
XDCX
Administrator

If I can ask, what's the "back-story"? (Why did the Chevrolet store close, was it part of the OLDCO cuts or was there another reason?)
XDCX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2012, 10:50 AM   #3
steve_biegler

Quote:
Originally Posted by XDCX View Post
If I can ask, what's the "back-story"? (Why did the Chevrolet store close, was it part of the OLDCO cuts or was there another reason?)
http://www.bizjournals.com/nashville...3/daily17.html
steve_biegler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2012, 12:24 PM   #4
tnpartsguy

Beaman Auto Group was rumored to be getting the Chevy brand (GM gave them Buick when they forced Waller Buick to close in 2009 {Diane Waller died in Oct 2011, to the shock of many of us http://www.legacy.com/obituaries/ten...&pid=154292571 }. I wonder now if The Martin Group will land Chevy?
Old 02-20-2012, 02:03 PM   #5
XDCX
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by steve_biegler View Post
Thanks for the link.

I know I sometimes give GM too much credit for reinstating their OLDCO dealerships. While GM clearly treated their OLDCO dealers better than Chrysler did they still have some blood on their hands.

The article you linked detailing how GM closed Jim Reed Chevrolet after an 80 year business relation is a good example of that.

I've read before that OLDCO Chevrolet stores were less likely to be reinstated than Buick, Cadillac or GMC stores. I'm not sure if that's a factual statement, and if it is why it was the case?
Old 02-20-2012, 03:33 PM   #6
tnpartsguy

I'd say because there were too many Chevy stores period. In middle TN, basically surrounding us, they closed the point in Gallitan TN (Vic Jenkins) (the Pontiac/GMC/Buick point closed about a year and a half before that, the store was destroyed in a tornado, and never recovered {but it DID reopen as a Nissan point!}, they closed Jim Reed in Nashville, Team Chevrolet in Smyrna TN, Friendly Chevrolet in Carthage closed just before the BK. The Buick/GMC/Pontiac point in Murfreesboro closed about that time as well. A lot of the smaller points were driven out BEFORE the actual purge here.
Old 03-21-2012, 08:16 AM   #7
tnpartsguy

Another Long-time Nashville area dealership has been bought out by a competitor. (Earl) Dunn (Pontiac)/GMC/Buick has been bought out by Tom Bannen Chevrolet/(Smart). I guess once Bannen lost Smart last year, they had room for Buick/GMC. Earl Dunn was a friend of my father's and where I bought my 1st new car. It's also where Burt Reynolds gave his friend Jerry Reed one of the first 'Bandit' Trans-Am's. Earl stepped down several years ago, and his son sold the dealership a few years after that.
Old 03-22-2012, 02:16 PM   #8
XDCX
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by tnpartsguy View Post
Another Long-time Nashville area dealership has been bought out by a competitor. (Earl) Dunn (Pontiac)/GMC/Buick has been bought out by Tom Bannen Chevrolet/(Smart). I guess once Bannen lost Smart last year, they had room for Buick/GMC. Earl Dunn was a friend of my father's and where I bought my 1st new car. It's also where Burt Reynolds gave his friend Jerry Reed one of the first 'Bandit' Trans-Am's. Earl stepped down several years ago, and his son sold the dealership a few years after that.
Thanks for the update.

Your market area seems to be following the pattern Moshe Stopnitzky mentioned in this post - click here

The market for Buy/Sells seems to be heating up and activity has been on the rise.
Old 03-23-2012, 08:21 AM   #9
tnpartsguy

South of Nashville is Franklin TN; home of the Alexander Family group of dealership until last year, once the father died, the kids sold off the dealership group, except for one brother kept the Chevy store in Dickson TN (and has since bought out the GMC/Buick dealership in that town as well, consolidating it into the Chevy location). The other Alexander group stores were sold to another group out of Florida, who remarketed them as 'brand of town' ie Chevrolet/Buick/GMC/Cadillac of Murfreesboro, or Hyundai of Cookeville, ect.

Darrell Waltrip Honda/Volvo/Subaru will be adding GMC/Buick to the line-up in the near future
(Waltrip is a Hendrick store)

For many years GM has tried to realign all the brands in all the suburban towns, and met a lot of resistance.... well, now it's done. Lebanon has 1 GM store, same for Dickson, Murfreesboro, Madison. Franklin will be the only 'suburban' Nashville dealership with 2 GM stores. Oh, and Gallatin TN, which once had 3 GM stores....Baker Buick (a very small stand alone), Vic Jenkins Chevrolet, and Northlake Auto Mall, which was Pontiac/GMC - all of which are gone now, leaving Gallatin with NO GM dealer...but the Toyota, Nissan, Ford and Chrysler stores are florishing.