Go Back   DealershipForum.com > Domestic Franchises and Independent Dealers > Chrysler > Service

Notices

Old 08-18-2015, 11:30 AM   #1
XDCX
Administrator

Default Do you get many complaints about Trip Routing on the Garmin GPS Systems?

I'll admit that I'm a bit of a Google "fan-boy" when it comes to using their products and services. While I used to own a portable Garmin GPS unit I stopped using it when I got my first Android phone and I've never looked back.

I've been reintroduced to the Garmin GPS thanks to the Navigation System that was installed as part of an option package on my Dad's 2014 Chrysler 300. I'll happily concede that I love the 8.4" center navigation screen and the smaller screen that displays upcoming turns in the center of the IP panel is also a very nice touch.

The Garmin System is easy to use and it has a good looking display - I can see why it gets good reviews.

My only issue with the Garmin System is that on occasion the trip routing is very odd. By very odd I mean that the trip routing uses numerous roads and highways that make the trip more complex without offering any savings in time or distance traveled.

On a couple of occasions I have been on a long Interstate trip and Garmin will instruct me to take an exit and then have me re-enter the highway on the following on-ramp.

Is it just me or do other customers voice complaints about Garmin's trip routing?
XDCX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2015, 08:46 AM   #2
tnpartsguy

I had that happen to me on a trip to Houston a few years ago, with a portable Garmin. It had the latest map update, ect, but several times it took me off the interstate or a main road to bypass sections that looked like they might have been freshly paved, ect. It also told me a bridge was out in WV later on in the same year. It was right there, so I crossed it.... freaked the Garmin out...
tnpartsguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2015, 11:25 AM   #3
XDCX
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by tnpartsguy View Post
I had that happen to me on a trip to Houston a few years ago, with a portable Garmin. It had the latest map update, ect, but several times it took me off the interstate or a main road to bypass sections that looked like they might have been freshly paved, ect. It also told me a bridge was out in WV later on in the same year. It was right there, so I crossed it.... freaked the Garmin out...
I can think of another instance where my Dad and I were headed across town to an area I rarely go and Garmin had us take one route there and a different route back. The route to the location was very direct and used main highways. The route back was much more convoluted and included a number of surface streets with relatively low speed limits and stop lights.

Garmin managed to get us to where we wanted to go but I'm convinced that Google Maps would have made the trip easier and faster.
Old 08-25-2015, 10:27 AM   #4
XDCX
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by XDCX View Post
Garmin managed to get us to where we wanted to go but I'm convinced that Google Maps would have made the trip easier and faster.
Here's an example that illustrates the issue I have with Garmin's routing:

In the picture above you can see that Garmin wants me to complete three right hand turns to make it onto Pacific Blvd SE. Google Maps, by contrast, showed that the most direct route was to take a left turn onto Pacific Blvd SE.
There was a marked Left Turn Lane at the intersection and I followed Google's instructions and Garmin eventually caught up.
As I mentioned in the quote above, Garmin's routing would have worked, it's just not as efficient or fast as Google Maps in this example.
Old 08-27-2015, 08:19 AM   #5
XDCX
Administrator

Default Another Garmin trip routing error

Another error I encountered on my recent road trip had Garmin taking me on a longer route because their maps didn't recognize the existence of a freeway underpass.

I was at a T-Intersection leaving the Trinity Lake area and was trying to get back to I-5. I knew Yreka, CA was right on I-5 so I was using that as a navigation point.

When I approached the intersection Garmin wanted me to go right but the Highway Traffic Sign indicated the route to Yreka was to go to the left. I was going to use Google Maps to figure out which instruction was correct but I was in an area that didn't have a data connection so Google Maps was worthless.

I decided to follow the route suggested by the Highway Traffic Sign and eventually figured out why Garmin wanted me to go in the opposite direction. As I neared I-5 Garmin didn't recognize the existence of a freeway underpass that allowed me to go under I-5 and then take a left turn to head North on I-5.

Garmin wanted me to head South on I-5 and then take the next exit and complete a U-Turn so I'd be headed North on I-5. (The Garmin detour would have added about 10 miles to the trip - that's why Garmin calculated that turning right at the T-Intersection was the best route.)

As before, Garmin's routing would have taken me to where I wanted to go, it just wouldn't have done so in the most efficient manner because Garmin apparently has an issue where their maps fail to recognize existing roadways on occasion.
Old 08-27-2015, 12:09 PM   #6
steve_biegler

You know 3 lefts make a right. Right?
steve_biegler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2015, 12:39 PM   #7
XDCX
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by steve_biegler View Post
You know 3 lefts make a right. Right?
That seems to be the logic that Garmin uses on occasion.

The other difference I noticed between Garmin and Google is it seems that Garmin is more likely to want to have you return to the original routing if you miss an exit or a turn. Google, by contrast, seems less likely to want you to make a U-Turn and calculates a new route based on your current location and direction.
Old 09-10-2015, 06:41 PM   #8
mryan55

There is an intersection near my mom's house in Detroit where this logic is used on my UConnect 8.4" touch screen. All I could think is that it might be done out of safety since there is no traffic light at the immediate left turn and it's from a one-way street to an eight-lane two-way road... so the box of rights makes it a safer crossing.

Or perhaps the left turn was not legal at some point? Truthfully, I don't remember...
mryan55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2015, 01:41 PM   #9
XDCX
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by mryan55 View Post
Or perhaps the left turn was not legal at some point? Truthfully, I don't remember...
I get the impression that the Garmin Map are accurate at the point of time they're generated but that includes detours and road closures that may only be short term in nature.

I recall one time driving down I-5 and Garmin wanted me to take an exit and then re-enter the freeway. It was almost like their was a road closure in place when Garmin surveyed that area but the software didn't detect that the road closure was just a short term event.

Google Maps, by contrast, is pretty close to live data and they seem to adapt to road closures and detours very quickly.