Go Back   DealershipForum.com > Asian Franchises > Other > Sales

Notices

Old 08-14-2012, 04:57 PM   #1
Txflyer

Default 2013 Mazda CX-5

Anyone have any hands on experience with the Mazda CX-5? I'm possibly looking to trade the TSX in on something that I can carry my road bike in without removing the wheels, and the CX-5 looks like a sweet car. I've also driven the Nissan Rogue, but the Mazda really looks interesting. I"m open to any other suggestions but fuel economy is a big concern, and I really don't want anything from GM or Chrysler.
Txflyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2012, 07:42 AM   #2
tnpartsguy

Default Mazda CX5 = Ford Escape

The CX5 is based on the Escape...so...have you driven a Ford lately?
tnpartsguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2012, 07:59 AM   #3
chryslersrt8

I don't know about the 5 but the latest versions of the 7 & 9 impress the heck out of me!
chryslersrt8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2012, 05:47 PM   #4
Txflyer

Quote:
Originally Posted by tnpartsguy View Post
The CX5 is based on the Escape...so...have you driven a Ford lately?
Actually the Tribute was based on the Escape, the CX-5 is an all new design.
Old 08-16-2012, 05:00 AM   #5
Noah

I dunno bout that one, Tx. I saw a new CX-5 on the road yesterday and it's a dead ringer for the new Escape. Sharp vehicle. Better, more cohesive, styling than the Ford submission and if history is any indicator, I would suspect that it'll probably have better driving dynamics as well..
Noah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2012, 02:08 PM   #6
XDCX
Administrator

Here's a report on the new Mazda CX-5 from Car and Driver - click here

I quickly scanned the article and didn't see any reference suggesting that the Mazda CX-5 is a cousin of the Ford Escape - it appears they are completely different vehicles.

I also thought it was interesting that the CX-5 engine is running a 13.0 to 1 compression ratio - and they manage to do that with regular gas. That's pretty impressive.

The only downside I'd see to owning a Mazda would be the limited dealer network if you're traveling and you need service and possible re-sale issues if Mazda begins to lose share to competitors like Hyundai and KIA.

Tx, I can understand your position concerning General Motors and Chrysler, how do you feel about Ford? I was really impressed with the four cylinder engine when I had a chance to drive a Ford Explorer at Barrett-Jackson.
XDCX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2012, 05:34 PM   #7
Txflyer

I drove the CX-5 this weekend. Not a bad vehicle, but it was woefully underpowered IMHO. 25 more HP might have made the difference, even at the expense of a few MPG.

I haven't driven a new Ford, but maybe I should. I have kind of been eyeing the Subaru Outback as a possiblity.
Old 08-23-2012, 01:38 PM   #8
XDCX
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Txflyer View Post
I have kind of been eyeing the Subaru Outback as a possiblity.
When I was in the Seattle area I used to love taking Subarus in trade. There are a lot of loyal Subaru customers in the Seattle area and most of them seem to be convinced that all Subarus run for at least 200,000 miles. It was never a problem to retail a high mile Subaru because the buyers were convinced they lasted forever.

That said, the Finance Department used to hate Subarus and the customers they attract. It's hard to sell a Service Contract to a customer that's convinced the car they just bought is never going to fail.
Old 09-02-2012, 09:40 AM   #9
Txflyer

Just as a followup, I'll be trading the TSX for a 2013 Subaru Outback 2.5 Limited tomorrow. I was really impressed with the combination of room/utility/fuel economy/capacity/off-road handling of the Outback!!!
Old 09-03-2012, 02:50 PM   #10
XDCX
Administrator

Quote:
Just as a followup, I'll be trading the TSX for a 2013 Subaru Outback 2.5 Limited tomorrow. I was really impressed with the combination of room/utility/fuel economy/capacity/off-road handling of the Outback!!!
Thanks for the update and congratulations on the new car.

As I've mentioned before when I was working in Seattle area the Subaru dealerships were goldmines and Subaru's reputation for quality and longevity meant their vehicles really held their resale value. Hopefully you'll have a good experience with your new car too.
Old 09-03-2012, 04:47 PM   #11
Txflyer

What I thought was going to be an easy transaction turned out to be a HORRIBLE experience with a particular Ft. Worth Subaru dealer (the only one). I showed up to sign up/pick up the car and was greeted with the old "we can't do that" routine after everything had been agreed upon 2 days before. Needless to say I was beyond pissed!!!

I left and drove to Arlington to Bob Moore Subaru, where I was treated like a customer should be treated. They dealt with me fairly, quickly and without any BS. I would HIGHLY recommend them, and recommend staying far away from the Ft. Worth Subaru dealer.

Now have a 2013 Outback 2.5 Limited sitting in the garage.
Old 09-04-2012, 02:35 PM   #12
XDCX
Administrator

Quote:
What I thought was going to be an easy transaction turned out to be a HORRIBLE experience with a particular Ft. Worth Subaru dealer (the only one). I showed up to sign up/pick up the car and was greeted with the old "we can't do that" routine after everything had been agreed upon 2 days before. Needless to say I was beyond pissed!!!

I left and drove to Arlington to Bob Moore Subaru, where I was treated like a customer should be treated. They dealt with me fairly, quickly and without any BS. I would HIGHLY recommend them, and recommend staying far away from the Ft. Worth Subaru dealer.

Now have a 2013 Outback 2.5 Limited sitting in the garage.
Sorry to hear you had a bad experience with your first Subaru dealer but at least you were able to find a good Subaru Dealer, Bob Moore Subaru, and get the vehicle you wanted.

Based on your experience with the Subaru Dealer in Fort Worth I guess it's clear that all of the "old school" sales tactics are not dead yet.