Go Back   DealershipForum.com > Domestic Franchises and Independent Dealers > General Motors > Sales

Notices

Old 08-14-2010, 12:46 PM   #1
XDCX
Administrator

Default AutoNation - Sell the Chevrolet Volt at MSRP or you're fired...

News reports indicate AutoNation has taken a stand against potential price gouging when the Chevrolet Volt is released to the public. The message to their stores is - sell a Chevrolet Volt for over MSRP and you're fired. Here's a link to the full report - click here

AutoNation has 27 Chevrolet dealerships and I doubt the Volt will be a big seller based on production constraints. While I'm sure AutoNation is leaving some money on the table I think it's a smart PR move.

I wonder if AutoNation will require the buyers to sign an agreement not to re-sell the Volt at a profit?
XDCX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2010, 10:18 AM   #2
SHACOS
Super Moderator

Do you think that this has something to do with the lease deal that Chevy was pushing? If I remember right, wasn't it $350 / month over 36 months?

Maybe Chevy is determining allocation of the Volt to dealers based on the ability of the dealer to get as close to that payment promise as possible? Maybe a Chevy dealer can provide some input.

It does seem strange that Autonation would leave gross on the table.
SHACOS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2010, 09:56 AM   #3
XDCX
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by SHACOS View Post
Do you think that this has something to do with the lease deal that Chevy was pushing? If I remember right, wasn't it $350 / month over 36 months?

Maybe Chevy is determining allocation of the Volt to dealers based on the ability of the dealer to get as close to that payment promise as possible? Maybe a Chevy dealer can provide some input.

It does seem strange that Autonation would leave gross on the table.
For legal reasons I doubt GM would have any program that tied dealer allocations to retail pricing.

My bet is AutoNation's determined the positive PR they'll receive more than offsets any lost gross profit. Because of the limited production I doubt there will be many Chevrolet dealers who receive more than 5 - 10 Volts to sell next year.
Old 08-17-2010, 09:10 PM   #4
tnpartsguy

We won't get any Volt's this year. Most are allocated to the largest markets; CA, TX, Metro DC, ect.
tnpartsguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2010, 12:44 PM   #5
XDCX
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by tnpartsguy View Post
We won't get any Volt's this year. Most are allocated to the largest markets; CA, TX, Metro DC, ect.
That's too bad. I always like it when all the dealers get at least one vehicle when a new model is hot - it's nice to have something to generate some showroom traffic.

That said, without knowing the special tools requirements, maybe some dealers would rather skip the Volt if they knew they were only going to get one vehicle.
Old 08-18-2010, 12:51 PM   #6
possum

Whether Dealers get one, or not, I'd bet they have to buy the tools.
possum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2010, 01:56 PM   #7
The StraightShooter

Default You took the words right out of my mouth...

Quote:
Originally Posted by possum View Post
Whether Dealers get one, or not, I'd bet they have to buy the tools.
I can't help but think about the poor bastards looking at the Hybrid Durango buffalo sh*t collecting dust in some corner of their shop...

Can dealers get a tax credit for selling and servicing these? Everyone else gets one
The StraightShooter is offline   Reply With Quote