Go Back   DealershipForum.com > Regional Forums > Southwest Region > Automotive Discussions

Notices

Old 10-16-2009, 04:09 PM   #1
XDCX
Administrator

Cool Soft top Wranglers survive in California.....

Only in California....

The California Air Resources Board has agreed to exempt the soft top Wranglers from a new law requiring vehicles to reduce the amount of heat entering the interior of the car beginning with the 2012 models. The law is intended to reduce fuel consumption by reducing the load on the air conditioning system.

The soft top Wrangler was granted an exception because the windows are constructed of flexible clear plastic.

A group opposed to the new law suggested that it would impact cellular phones, GPS units and parolees with ankle tracking devices. CARB wouldn't budge and intends to press forward with the new law. CARB officials estimate it will take between 5 and 12 years before the fuel savings offset the added manufacturing expense. With logic like that it's no wonder California can't pay their bills.

Here's a link to the news report - click here
XDCX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2009, 05:01 PM   #2
CL Pgh

Amazing!

I thought CA had bigger fish to fry than leaning on car manufactures for an extra 1/2 mile per gallon???
CL Pgh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2009, 07:21 PM   #3
SHACOS
Super Moderator

California needs to cut down on CARBs to help them operate within budget. I wonder how much cash was burned during this venture?
SHACOS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2009, 09:08 AM   #4
scooter

This proposal is from the same brain trusts that tried to ban black vehicles in California. Their logic was the same as the treated glass, to reduce a/c use. They thought that since black cars are hotter than lighter colored vehicles we would use less a/c and increase fuel economy. The state is in major financial trouble yet they will spend big bucks on this study and it will solve nothing. I guess that excessive a/c is the cause of all our troubles here. This is also the same state that is trying to legalize marijana, so maybe we can try some of that stuff and forget what a mess this place is turnig into. Makes me proud to be a Californian....the trouble is I am a native Californian, I do not even have a State to move back home to....oh well, party on....
scooter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2009, 10:19 AM   #5
XDCX
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by SHACOS View Post
California needs to cut down on CARBs to help them operate within budget. I wonder how much cash was burned during this venture?
I was always amazed at how much power California gave to CARB.

While many of their actions early on may have been beneficial to the environment, I think they're grasping at straws now just trying to justify their existence.

Last edited by XDCX; 10-17-2009 at 12:18 PM. Reason: Removed extra word
Old 10-17-2009, 10:40 AM   #6
XDCX
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by scooter View Post
This proposal is from the same brain trusts that tried to ban black vehicles in California. Their logic was the same as the treated glass, to reduce a/c use.
That's classic - "No Black Cars for you!!"

The article also mentioned that Chrysler is working on an exemption for the GEM cars. Hopefully the fact that they don't use gasoline and don't have air conditioning will factor into CARB's decision.