Go Back   DealershipForum.com > Dealer Talk > Automotive Discussions

Notices

Automotive Discussions Car People talking about the Car Business – This is the place where it happens

Old 01-04-2011, 07:10 AM   #1
The StraightShooter

Default Ron Bloom's view of Bankruptcy

Interesting article about our current Manufacturing Czar and
former Car Czar.Talk a about monster. This guy has a clear "us vs. them" mentality. Basically He argues that workers actually lend companies money and as such should have an advantage over traditional secured and non-secured lenders. Check out the speech he gave in 2006. The Chrysler BK was this guy's wet dream. Now I'm all for the guy building the cars I used to sell, but to say his pension is more imporatant than a white collar worker's or a Dealer's lifetime investment in his business is load of bolshevik. I know of not 1 union worker in a plant who has or had to pledge his personal assets in execution of honoring a contract with his manufacturer. What about our labor and investment in this company? Oh yea...we're not as equal as others. Nope we had to be nearly or completely destroyed for the sake of "Shared Sacrifice" My blood boils...

http://blogs.wsj.com/deals/2011/01/0...ord-ron-bloom/

http://online.wsj.com/public/resourc...ch05092007.pdf
The StraightShooter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2011, 07:47 AM   #2
possum

This administration promised "change", and the population just couldn't wait to get it.

Its here.
possum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2011, 09:47 AM   #3
XDCX
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by possum View Post
This administration promised "change", and the population just couldn't wait to get it.

Its here.
Well said - the people got what they voted for.

Concerning Ron Bloom, there's no question he was selected to represent the UAW's best interest without regard to bankruptcy law.
XDCX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2011, 10:28 AM   #4
steve_biegler

WOW...after reading the speech he gave and his thoughts that win-lose is preferred to win-win and he is prepared for lose-lose, God help us! If this is the best that the government can come up with to try to get this country back on track we are in deep you know what. I found it interesting that he used the chicken/pig story as far as who is committed and just involved. I have NEVER met a dealer that was not committed..with his investment in fixed assets..investment in people..and in most cases having his personal wealth on the line for his business. Men and Women like Ron Bloom are not what is going to save this country, they are the ones that will put us in the grave.
Sorry for the rant.
Thanks for the post StraightShooter.
steve_biegler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2011, 12:42 PM   #5
Noah

That speech is truly the spine-chilling type of "perspective" that makes people uncategorically HATE unions. I'm in disbelief that anyone would have the utter gall to give such a speech publicly.

Of course, now I think that I understand exactly why Obama, our clueless leader, seems to like him so much and continues to find new ways for him to assist the exec in chief in ruining our beloved country. It would appear that a zealot likes to surround him/herself with other zealots.

Heaven help us all.
Noah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2011, 08:01 AM   #6
DealerEx

I thought the end of his speech was both humorous and a warning shot to the assembled manufacturers...he told a story about a new union rep who asked the members what their #1 goal was before he went to the negotiating table and they said to work less hours. He comes back and tells them he got them a new contract where they only had to work on Mondays from now on...and a voice speaks up and says, "EVERY Monday??". Bloom then said he just wanted them to know what to expect from him. The idea that the federal government...the most bloated, inefficient bureaucracy in history...is going to increase manufacturing and production in the private sector is truly laughable...if it wasn't so scary.
DealerEx is offline   Reply With Quote