Go Back   DealershipForum.com > Dealer Talk > General Discussions

Notices

General Discussions Car People talking about something other than the Car Business – Is there life outside of the Dealership?

Old 09-19-2012, 10:19 AM   #16
XDCX
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by s-works View Post
I use the ecarlist app on my iphone to upload photos of our inventory. I uploaded a lot of photos one month and they throttled my data plan. I made sure to connect to wifi after that. 3g is soooooooo slow.
I'm guessing that AT&T is your carrier?

I've heard that Verizon will throttle their top data users too but it seems like AT&T has the worst reputation for throttling. (It's my understanding that Verizon only throttles their top users if their network is at capacity - otherwise it's a non-issue. AT&T, by contrast, throttles their top users regardless of network activity - you could be surfing the Internet at 2:00 a.m. and you'd still be throttled.)
XDCX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2012, 10:39 AM   #17
s-works

Yes ATT.

They limit you after 3gb of data. which is a lot of data....

technically the data is unlimited
s-works is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2012, 02:39 PM   #18
XDCX
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by s-works View Post
They limit you after 3gb of data. which is a lot of data....
The one thing I noticed when I upgraded my Droid X to a Razr Maxx is you can burn through a lot more data when you're surfing with LTE.

The first couple of months I had the Razr Maxx it wasn't uncommon to burn through 4 - 6 GB. Now that I've been using my Nexus 7 tablet I've noticed my data burn on the Razr Maxx has dropped to about 2 - 3 GB per month.
Old 09-20-2012, 10:24 AM   #19
XDCX
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by ohiobuckeyes View Post
Mine will be here Friday!
I ran across this post last night:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ralph View Post
http://video.foxbusiness.com/v/42526...-worth-getting

I'm only partially geeked out but...I guess my opinion would be if you're a windows guy, there's a bunch of directions to go in, and this video they say the Droid X is awesome. If you're a mac guy...well...I slept with this new puppy under my pillow last night, holding it...caressing it...I'm embarrassed to say...I kissed it a few times. My wife slept on the couch...there just wasn't enough room for me and my iPhone 4.
It will be interesting to see how your first day (and night...) with your iPhone 5 compares to Ralph's experience with his iPhone 4.

I miss Ralph - I hope he and his son are doing well with their new project.
Old 09-21-2012, 06:40 AM   #20
lsx only

I will keep my 4s evan though my young daughters try the limits of my lifeproof case every day.I just did the new upgrade sure hope siri works better.
lsx only is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2012, 10:47 AM   #21
XDCX
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by lsx only View Post
I just did the new upgrade sure hope siri works better.
I've heard that a lot of the issues with Siri are related to the network speeds provided by the carriers. As an example, some people have reported that Sprint's 3G speeds are so slow that Siri "times out" before it can respond to an inquiry.

In a left-handed sort of way, you may find that Siri (and your 3G speeds overall) improve after the iPhone 5 launch. As Millions of iPhone 5 users transition to LTE (4G) there should be more bandwidth available for the remaining 3G users resulting in faster network speeds.
Old 09-24-2012, 05:58 PM   #22
ohiobuckeyes

Well let's just say my new "baby" kept me up all night. My Macbook has 10.5.8 which is not compatible with iPhone5 or iTunes 10.7.1. So I have to run my VM software which runs Windows XP then I was able to download iTunes 10.7.1 but the VM software and iTunes would not recognize my old or new iPhones. At this point it was around midnight and I was lucky to have a Dell PC at the house as well which had iTunes 10.7.1 and was able to backup my iPhone 4 and upload my data into my iPhone5.

I do enjoy having Siri on my phone this morning we had an issue with our DMS system and I was able to voice txt my parts manager to correct the issue while driving. It's lighter and thinner then my 4, but the same size in the OtterBox. Can take Panorama photos and the photo's look much more clear, the 4G its faster no LTE (at&t) near me closest is Cleveland Ohio.

So if you have a 3 or 4 it's a great upgrade but if your a 4S owner don't waste you money just download OS6 it's the same. But yet it was the toy today at the dealership every person had to touch it did not know I "bought a carnival ride."

Also looking into ordering a new iMac just have to wait for the new OS to be launched. Once a Mac Geek always a Mac Geek.
ohiobuckeyes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2012, 11:23 AM   #23
XDCX
Administrator

Quote:
So if you have a 3 or 4 it's a great upgrade but if your a 4S owner don't waste you money just download OS6 it's the same.
That follows the same advice I've read from some of the tech sites. Concerning OS6, the biggest downside I've heard is the loss of Google Maps - some reports I've read indicate that Apple's Map App isn't quite up to speed yet.

Quote:
But yet it was the toy today at the dealership every person had to touch it did not know I "bought a carnival ride."
That's cool - that's one of the benefits of being an "early adopter" of new technology.

I've got to give Apple a lot of credit for the free-publicity they've managed to attract each time they launch a new iPhone. It seems like almost everyone is aware that there's a new iPhone out and they're curious to see one in person.
Old 01-24-2013, 12:09 PM   #24
XDCX
Administrator

Default Apple's stock falls by 11% - But they still make almost $150 Million per day

OK, I know this isn't CNBC but I still thought it was worth updating this thread since Apple's stock is off by almost 12% as I type this post.

Apple announced their Quarterly Results yesterday and while their revenue and profit performance was impressive, Wall Street was concerned about the sales of the iPhone 5. There had been rumors for the past several weeks that Apple had been cutting supplier orders based on the iPhone 5's sales volume and it appears those rumors were correct.

No tears for Apple are required, however. The company posted earnings of $13.1 Billion last quarter - almost $150 Million in profit per day. Here's a link to a New York Times report that does a great job of recapping Apple's performance and the challenges that lie ahead - click here

Apple's stock price has declined almost 35% in the last four months. It will be interesting to see how Apple performs in a post Steve Jobs era.
Old 01-24-2013, 05:58 PM   #25
chryslersrt8

In my mind Apple is now in a no win position that is affecting stock value. They use to be rebels, as well as the people who used them. As they have hit market with iPod, iPad, iPhone they are selling enough product to capitalistic mainstream. Artsy, free wheeling, flower kids see them almost with the disdain once held for IBM and Microsoft. That they build stuff overseas makes them like Nike once faced (still does to a lesser degree) as capitalistic money grabbers building their wares in 3rd world nations to save $$$.

Sort of like the situation the tree huggers vs. the PETA groups when they face off regarding cows and their manure. One group says kill the cattle to save the air and the other group says be kind to animals. Only problem is many people belong to same groups so they don't know what to do except find another group.

The original Apple lovers are looking for another group to embrace. In the meantime mainstream America has embraced Apple.

Last edited by chryslersrt8; 01-24-2013 at 05:59 PM. Reason: Spelling
chryslersrt8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2013, 10:53 AM   #26
XDCX
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by chryslersrt8 View Post
They use to be rebels, as well as the people who used them.
I agree 100%.

In fact, your comment reminded me of Apple's famous "1984 Commercial" that played during Super Bowl 18. Here's a link to the YouTube video - click here Ironically, Apple has now become the Juggernaut (at least in smartphones and tablets) that they opposed back in 1984.

(Side note: In college I had a class where everyone had to read Orwell's book "Nineteen-Eighty-Four" and it left a lasting impression. It's a book that I think everyone should read....)

Quote:
Originally Posted by chryslersrt8 View Post
Sort of like the situation the tree huggers vs. the PETA groups when they face off regarding cows and their manure. One group says kill the cattle to save the air and the other group says be kind to animals. Only problem is many people belong to same groups so they don't know what to do except find another group.
I love this analogy.
Old 01-28-2013, 03:36 PM   #27
chryslersrt8

To this day I have never seen an ad to compare with the 1984 commercial.
chryslersrt8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2013, 03:41 PM   #28
twkrantz

Are they going to spend that money wisely? It puts a big target on them, everybody going to want their lunch. That and everything they offer, people don't really need. Probably trades at 200 down the road, since they already came out with that big thing(ipod) and tech companies can waste cash easy.

One option maybe they could have bought GM for 60 billion and make a couple green cars and offer $500 Itunes cards to each buyer for 1/2 price.
twkrantz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2013, 10:43 AM   #29
XDCX
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by twkrantz View Post
Probably trades at 200 down the road, since they already came out with that big thing(ipod) and tech companies can waste cash easy.
It will be interesting to see how Apple performs in a post-Jobs era.

I think the big question is whether Apple can still innovate with great concepts that create new markets like they did with the iPod, iPhone and iPad. There's been a lot of talk about a new Apple iTV but it sounds like the cable companies and the content providers are fighting the concept.

The other variable, in my opinion, is will Apple lose touch with their customers as they chase the bottom line. The fiasco with dropping Google Maps is something I don't think would have happened if Jobs was still alive. I also sense that Apple will be speeding up the product cycle to compete with Android and their customers may not be happy to see that their "new" device is obsolete in six months.

Concerning Apple's stock price, I don't think it will fall too much further unless there's a deterioration in Apple's earnings. The stock's current P/E ratio is just over 10 - that seems pretty cheap given Apple's history.
Old 02-11-2013, 07:18 AM   #30
twkrantz

Yeah I agree it fills the gap and goes to 500 shortly. That ipod was a great invention and hard to do that twice. Ive heard the TV is a little behind or whatever.

Im all integrated with apple **** myself. They have good products, just bothers me on what they pull sometimes to the point I figured theyre going to get hurt. Maybe karma pays them back for Foxconn and taxes them a lot for bringing manufacturing here. Or maybe, people who got ipads as gists eventually start buying Itunes, then macs, etc.
twkrantz is offline   Reply With Quote