Go Back   DealershipForum.com > Regional Forums > Southwest Region > Automotive Discussions

Notices

Old 06-13-2008, 10:06 AM   #16
dealer3100

Yeah that Grapevine store was a Taj- Mahal, I think rent was $100,000 per month

Big loser for Lithia

Lithia gave it back to Chrysler. Now it a Chrysler MI store.

Speaking of rent, Lithia had small stores with small rent. Like in Denver they go and build these great facilities and tack on another $40,000 in rent on top of the pack they had on the previous rent. All of a sudden a store is burden with $40,000 times 12 months = $480,000 in additional rent. That where the bottom line goes.

Wonder what thre rent and profits are like in Medford Dodge
dealer3100 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2008, 10:31 AM   #17
SHACOS
Super Moderator

Have you seen Medford Dodge? It's as close as you can get to the old Grapevine store.

Grapevine was lovingly referred to as the Dodge-Mahal.
SHACOS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2008, 10:36 AM   #18
dealer3100

LOL. Thats why I asked about it. From the humble beginnings of a little store selling big volume and having small rent, to the new Dodge- Mahal selling little volume and having big rent.

I love Lithia's common language and the DeBoer's, I hope they can right the ship.
Old 06-13-2008, 11:12 AM   #19
SHACOS
Super Moderator

I think it will happen. "Assured" was just removed from all the external marketing to give a clear message that Lithia is the brand, not assured. The customer displays and handouts are very nice.
SHACOS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2008, 12:02 PM   #20
XDCX
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by SHACOS View Post
Have you seen Medford Dodge? It's as close as you can get to the old Grapevine store.

Grapevine was lovingly referred to as the Dodge-Mahal.
I just got back from a trip to Northern California and I made a point to drive-by Medford CJD. What an impressive facility.

That said, I have to agree with dealer3100 - What's the rent factor and can you sell enough additional vehicles to offset the expense?
XDCX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2008, 12:07 PM   #21
XDCX
Administrator

Default Who owns the Used Truck/SUV Dealership by the Airport?

As I was making my way back to I-5 from the new Lithia CJD store in Medford I couldn't help but notice the Used Truck/SUV Dealership by the Airport.

They must have had 100+ units in stock with most being in the $15K to $25K range. With slow sales and a depreciating inventory that looked like a tough store to own right now.

It will be interesting to see how many Used Car Dealers are forced out of business due to the slowdown in the economy.
Old 07-24-2008, 10:02 AM   #22
XDCX
Administrator

Default I drove by Urban Chrysler/Jeep/Dodge....

I had a chance to drive by Urban Chrysler/Jeep/Dodge earlier this week and was amazed at how things had changed.

When I was there three years ago it was a thriving dealership in a growing Auto Mall - the future looked bright.

Today it's nothing but a sitting hulk wasting away in the sun. The dealership is no longer thriving and the Auto Mall is dieing a slow death. In fact, can you even call it an Auto Mall when there's only ONE store left? I don't know who owns that Chevrolet Dealership but they must be taking a huge hit every month with virtually no hope of ever turning a profit.

It will be interesting to see what ends up happening to the real estate.
Old 07-24-2008, 10:09 AM   #23
dealer3100

I have never been there, but my Finance manager who had worked there told me about the Pontiac- Buick- GMC store being turned into a garden center. Is it true?
Old 07-24-2008, 11:07 AM   #24
XDCX
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by dealer3100 View Post
I have never been there, but my Finance manager who had worked there told me about the Pontiac- Buick- GMC store being turned into a garden center. Is it true?
It's true - and it looked really sad.

When I drove by there were just a few customers in the lot. You could tell that the Garden Center was a former car dealership - they did not make many changes to the building. It just had a look of desparation to it - like the landlord was willing to take any tenant just to fill an empty lot.

If you get a chance, you should drive by.

I'd love to know more about that Chevrolet store. It wouldn't surprise me to learn that General Motors is somehow involved with that store - who else would want to stay and fight what clearly appears to be a losing battle.

It's hard to imagine that anyone would want to bank-roll an Auto Mall in SoCal that had nothing but domestic dealerships as their anchor stores. What were they thinking?