Go Back   DealershipForum.com > Asian Franchises > Hyundai/Kia > Sales

Notices

Old 05-23-2013, 11:03 AM   #1
kiaparts

Default Kia Cadenza

Any dealers have the Cadenza on the lot yet? If so how have the customers reacted- positive or sticker shock.

http://kia-buzz.com/in-auto-news-exp...views-cadenza/
kiaparts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2013, 11:59 AM   #2
XDCX
Administrator

Thanks for creating the thread.

I watched Brian Cooley's CNET review of the Cadenza over the weekend and it appears the Cadenza is an impressive vehicle. That said, I'm not convinced it makes sense to try and move the KIA brand upscale.

In my opinion I think Hyundai should continue to develop the Genesis vehicles and eventually create a new Genesis brand - just like Toyota did with Lexus and Honda did with Acura. Furthering my opinion, Hyundai should fill-out the middle section of the market and KIA should remain focused on the entry-level segments.

It will be interested to see how the market reacts to the Cadenza. My bet is it will be a challenge for KIA to compete if the pricing of the Cadenza remains relatively high.

If I were a KIA Dealer I'd rather have a small-sized pickup truck that offered a great warranty, great fuel economy and a low price - that's the segment of the market that I think needs more attention.
XDCX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2013, 09:35 AM   #3
kiaparts

I agree. I think a small, quality pickup that was priced right would do well in todays market. They have truck platforms in other countries so I don't think it would be a stretch to get something over here. What's worse the k9 quoris is coming next year with stickers above 60k. Not sure what they see in the luxury market.
kiaparts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2013, 09:15 PM   #4
AR2

Quote:
Originally Posted by XDCX View Post
Thanks for creating the thread.

I watched Brian Cooley's CNET review of the Cadenza over the weekend and it appears the Cadenza is an impressive vehicle. That said, I'm not convinced it makes sense to try and move the KIA brand upscale.

In my opinion I think Hyundai should continue to develop the Genesis vehicles and eventually create a new Genesis brand - just like Toyota did with Lexus and Honda did with Acura. Furthering my opinion, Hyundai should fill-out the middle section of the market and KIA should remain focused on the entry-level segments.

It will be interested to see how the market reacts to the Cadenza. My bet is it will be a challenge for KIA to compete if the pricing of the Cadenza remains relatively high.

If I were a KIA Dealer I'd rather have a small-sized pickup truck that offered a great warranty, great fuel economy and a low price - that's the segment of the market that I think needs more attention.
I agree with this analysis. I see Kia being the entry-level brand, Hyundai occupies the middle market, and then Genesis could come out take on Lexus. Instead, Hyundai/Kia seem to have different plans. I don't know if it will work far into the future, so I guess we'll have to see.

I also agree with the thought of a small Kia pickup truck. The small pickup truck segment is ripe for Kia to enter. The Ford Ranger occupied that segment and has since left. The numbers wouldn't be big at first, but Kia could get a good foothold in the small truck market and get its name into the truck segment. Little by little, the American public would start relating the Kia nameplate with trucks, just like Toyota and its trucks. I have always wondered why Kia or Hyundai never made that move.
AR2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2013, 09:23 PM   #5
AR2

Quote:
Originally Posted by kiaparts View Post
I agree. I think a small, quality pickup that was priced right would do well in todays market. They have truck platforms in other countries so I don't think it would be a stretch to get something over here. What's worse the k9 quoris is coming next year with stickers above 60k. Not sure what they see in the luxury market.
The luxury market is where the big money is and where one can make a name for one-self (i.e. increase one's ego). For Kia and Hyundai I think it is a bit risky to go after the luxury market with so much energy. I can understand the need to generate ever increasing profits and to "hang out" with the big boys, but I hope Hyundai/Kia are not making the typical Detroit mistake in thinking they have arrived and are now on par with the industry leaders. They still have a ways to go. Adding a small, quality pickup truck would get them into a segment that they have not been in (at least in the U.S.). In my opinion, that would go a lot further in increasing the nameplate and sales volume compared to a $60,000.00 k9 Quoris.
AR2 is offline   Reply With Quote