Go Back   DealershipForum.com > Dealer Talk > Automotive Discussions

Notices

Automotive Discussions Car People talking about the Car Business – This is the place where it happens

Old 05-15-2013, 01:15 PM   #1
zach@kb

Default April 2013 Used Car Sales Figures

Fellas, Not sure how many Used Only Car Stores are on here. I've noticed there are threads for New Car Stores sales figures so I was wanting to see if any of you used guys can give me some insight.

If I can get some involvment, I'm expecting a huge varience. Please follow the format below, and add any additional details like how you did this month last year, or any compensating factors you think played a roll.

*** PLEASE PLEASE Be Honest. I'm sure we all have egos here and can very easily inflate the number like you do to your old co-worker down the street at your competition.***

City/State: Springfield, MO
Size of Store (ie: avg. No. of cars) 40 units
Avg. Price Point: $7,000-$25,000
Number of Salesman: 2
Finance Offered: Yes
Expected Units Sold/Goal: 20
Total Units Sold: 8

Notes: Slowest Month we have ever had. Expected to sale 20 easy with Tax money quickly dying. Last year we sold 22. What is going on?? We advertize EVERYWHERE. Have good inventory. Just very few sales call, internet leads , or fresh ups. Check us out. Any input is always appreciated. Good or Less-than-Good.

Thanks Guys........ Zach
www.kbmotorsportsinc.com
zach@kb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2013, 01:27 PM   #2
XDCX
Administrator

Zach - Thanks for creating the thread - I think it's a great idea.

We don't have too many used car dealers on the forum but I still think there are enough that this should be an active thread.

Concerning your current sales volume, I can understand your concern. In my experience I think the "peaks and valleys" that are associated with selling cars is why so many salespeople wash-out and go to a different line of work.

I remember working at a store that was going through a rut and the worse part was it seemed like the harder we tried the worse we did. I'm guessing our eagerness to do a deal probably came across to our customers as desperation.

On a positive note, one thing the dealer did that I thought was a smart solution was he stopped wholesaling our aged units at auction and allowed the Internet Department to mark them down and sell the units. Even though we still took a loss on some aged units it was better than taking the same loss (or bigger) at the auction. The simple fact that customers were coming to the store and buying cars built momentum and it also gave the Finance Department an opportunity to meet some customers and offer some products.
XDCX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2013, 03:08 PM   #3
zach@kb

That is a great plan for aged units and makes total sense. Thanks for your input.

Just wish I could get some Used Sales guy to participate. I hate to start a thread only to see it fail. Come on Fellas!
Old 05-17-2013, 05:26 PM   #4
Jeff Duvall

Do you offer financing? Preferably BHPH & Indirect for the more expensive units. I can't imagine how any dealer can survive without it, specially an independent used store.
Jeff Duvall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2013, 10:08 AM   #5
Lakeshow

City/State: Central MT
Size of Store (ie: avg. No. of cars) 50 units
Avg. Price Point: $15,000-$25,000
Number of Salesman: 3
Expected Units Sold/Goal: 20
Total Units Sold: 30 in April

April was the best month we've had since we became an independent used dealer 2 1/2 years ago. 30 was our previous goal, with usually 10 of those being new. We used to have an idea which months were going to be good or bad, based on experience and the local economy. Anymore it's a friggen crap shoot, typical good months have been bad, bad months have been good; it's just hard to forecast anymore.

If it makes you feel any better May is historically a good month for us, and we only have 8 units out the door on the 20th of the month.
Lakeshow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2013, 02:01 PM   #6
XDCX
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by zach@kb View Post
Just wish I could get some Used Sales guy to participate. I hate to start a thread only to see it fail. Come on Fellas!
I understand your frustration.

Part of the problem is there are not too many active members who run an independent used car operation. The second issue is many of our members who run a new car operation don't want to provide too much information about their operation that will allow non-members (e.g. The Factory) to identify them.

Given the recent history of the car business it's easy to see why there are not too many dealers who are willing to be critical of their OEM in an open environment.
XDCX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2013, 12:57 PM   #7
zohpy

City/State: Central Florida
Size of Store: 40 units
AVg price point: 8K - 20k
Number of Salesmen: 2
BHPH Offered: Yes
Goal: 43
Units delivered so far: 28

These are for May. Still have 4 selling days left!
zohpy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2013, 02:16 PM   #8
zach@kb

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff Duvall View Post
Do you offer financing? Preferably BHPH & Indirect for the more expensive units. I can't imagine how any dealer can survive without it, specially an independent used store.
Yes, we definatly offer financing. From great to less then great. Actually do a fair share of Sup-Prime. Just don't offer BHPH.

Thanks for some input fellas. Hoping to do this every month. Maybe get a few more guys or gals on board too.
Old 05-30-2013, 09:13 AM   #9
rlnstns

City/State: Southern Indiana (outside Louisville)
Size of Store: 65 units
Avg Price point: 10k-32k
Salespeople: 4
Finance offered: Yes
BHPH: Nope
Goal: 30
Units sold in May:20
rlnstns is offline   Reply With Quote