Go Back   DealershipForum.com > Dealer Talk > Automotive Discussions

Notices

Automotive Discussions Car People talking about the Car Business – This is the place where it happens

Old 08-05-2016, 03:27 PM   #1
atikovi

Default DMV says salvage title still on record for a rebuilt salvage car.

LSS we rebuilt a 6,000 mile 2012 Cruze with collision damage, passed the state police salvage inspection and flipped the salvage certificate into a Maryland title that is branded xsalvage. Sold the car to a Virginia buyer and when they went to the VA DMV, were told it's still a salvage title and has to go through a salvage inspection. I'm guessing the clerk is a newbie and thought its still a salvage title. I'm under the impression that once a car is issued a rebuilt or reconstructed, or ex salvage title, it can be titled in any other state without issues. Told them to go back Monday and talk to a supervisor but is there something else I should know?
atikovi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2016, 09:14 PM   #2
DealerEx

I've never heard of any procedure that would change a title from Salvage to clean. The laws may be different in other states, but if the car had a salvage title at some point then it IS a salvage vehicle...you can't, or at least shouldn't be able to, undo history. Anyone purchasing the car down the line has a right to know that the vehicle has/had a salvage title because it greatly impacts the resale value of that vehicle. In Texas the title will always remain branded as salvage. The fact that you rebuilt it and had it inspected doesn't change what it was. The only exception I'm aware of is in the case of a theft recovery under certain conditions. Under Texas insurance codes if a stolen vehicle is not recovered within 30 days, then the insurance carrier must pay off the vehicle to the owner. If the vehicle is subsequently recovered, say 2 months later, the vehicle must be inspected by the Dept. of Public Safety ( highway patrol) and they check all serial numbers on vehicle to make sure the powertrain, major body components, frame, etc...are still original and haven't been swapped out. Once they certify it as all original, the vehicle can be issued a NEW Texas title with the original VIN, and may then be sold by the insurance carrier...but it is still branded as "Reassigned VIN" on the title.
DealerEx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2016, 11:54 AM   #3
atikovi

Understand that but it's not what I was posting about. Yes it will always have salvage history and the title is marked as such, xsalvage, after it was rebuilt. The problem is the car goes out of state and the new state thinks its still a salvage car and not a rebuilt salvage car. They want it to get a salvage inspection in VA before issuing a VA title, when it just had said inspection in MD and got the MD title. This is in the middle of Virginia so I guess the clerks at the DMV don't see many out of state rebuilt salvage cars. Will have to contact the main branch on Monday.
atikovi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2016, 05:01 AM   #4
Jeff Duvall

In Georgia & North Carolina if you title a car with an out of state title that was previously salvage and has been inspected in the previous state and issued a clean or branded title, it still has to be inspected. Also, if you have a car that previously had a Ga. or N.C. salvage title that was rebuilt then inspected and issued a reconstructed title then is titled in another state then comes back to Ga or NC to be titled again, then it has to be inspected again.....And in NC if you have a car that is titled in an insurance company name, even a company car with a clean title, it has to have a letter from the insurance company stating that it is not a salvage car, and if you can't get the company letter you have to get it inspected.

Hope this helps
Jeff Duvall is offline   Reply With Quote