Go Back   DealershipForum.com > Domestic Franchises and Independent Dealers > Chrysler > Sales

Notices

Old 03-21-2010, 12:30 PM   #1
XDCX
Administrator

Default A Chrysler Dealer with a positive outlook....

OK, in an effort to try to keep the forum balanced I have searched the Internet and found what I believe is the most optimistic Chrysler dealer in the nation.

The dealership is Barry Chrysler/Jeep/Dodge located in a rural area on Eastern Washington. Here's the quote from the dealer that caught my attention - “I’m really excited about some of the stuff that’s coming out,” he said. “The dealers have given them a standing ovation on how ecstatic they’ll be about what’s around the corner. I’m very enthused about what’s going to happen.”

Here's a link to the full report - click here

Now in fairness, the news report is about the pending loss of the dealer's Chevrolet franchise and the dealer's clearly putting the news in its most positive light. I can't fault him for that.

I also thought Txflyer would be interested to read that the dealer was in arbitration with GM but was not one of the 661 who were reinstated. The dealer suggested in the report that GM wanted separate facilities.

XDCX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2010, 12:44 PM   #2
Txflyer

Thanks so much for posting! I felt like I was reading a story about us instead of someone else. Kind of re-affirms our decision not to arbitrate with GM. I figured the duality was really what killed us. We were a WHOLE lot stronger dealership that the other GM dealer in town they left in place.

Screw GM. While I may not agree with all the things Chrysler is doing at this time, at least they gave us a chance. I'm so steamed at GM over their decision that I wouldn't piss on them if they were on fire! (can I say that here?)

Last edited by Txflyer; 03-21-2010 at 12:50 PM.
Txflyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2010, 02:45 PM   #3
ohiobuckeyes

Another Great Find X-Man! As in the same as TxFlyer we did not arbitrate with General Motors for Chevrolet.

We know it was other items then the duality that ended it for our store. But yet duality is going to start killing off dealerships that can not afford to build a new showroom/facility for any brand. Most small mom and pap dealerships are/were dual facility's.

As I have said before in this forum Very Excited about what is coming our way from Chrysler / Fiat Group. We just have to wait our turn and the positives will come our way. And I'm only 25 Years old or 310 months.

Tx as a Senior Member's of this forum I do not think XMan would not mind the "piss" comment.
ohiobuckeyes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2010, 04:30 PM   #4
Ralph

I think if you're in a market that isn't saturated already with dealers, such as a metro or New England, the future certainly looks bright. You'd have to be profitable now and the statement has to be strong...and the local economy pretty stable. Under these circumstances, as a survivor, you can out last anything and there is a ton of upside. Great place to be and blue sky ahead.

And as a side note, I'd have used "pee pee."
Ralph is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2010, 11:30 PM   #5
XDCX
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ralph View Post
And as a side note, I'd have used "pee pee."
A little levity on the forum, I like that. (Especially after last week.)

Concerning the dealer featured in the article I'll send him an invitation to the forum. I wonder if GM's providing any additional compensation to settle cases with dealers who filed for arbitration but were not part of the 661 who were reinstated? (He may not be able to answer based on non-disclosure agreements, but it never hurts to ask. )

Hopefully he'll join the forum, it would be great to add someone who's excited about the future to our ranks.
Old 03-22-2010, 04:51 AM   #6
possum

I had the same thought. A positive Chrysler Dealer is rare, and would be a good voice for the Forum.
possum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2010, 08:47 AM   #7
XDCX
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by possum View Post
I had the same thought. A positive Chrysler Dealer is rare, and would be a good voice for the Forum.
I think he could also provide some interesting commentary on how to survive in a tough marketplace.

Although I've never met the dealer I've driven by his store and it's in a rural area with limited economic activity. The bigger concern, in my opinion, is the store is with 200 miles of Chrysler's #1 dealer in the nation - Dave Smith Motors. How do you compete when your largest competitor has over 1,100 new vehicles in stock?
Old 03-22-2010, 10:06 AM   #8
WSU Fan

Default It's me. Here is my dealerships official statement.

It's been an interesting ride. I'd like to thank everyone who helped our cause over the last year. The level of support from our incredible community was astonishing. Thank you for the letters, phone calls, lobbying efforts and your continued business. I'd especially like to thank Wes Crago and everyone at the City Hall, the PUD Commissioners, Senator Doc Hastings for his personal visit and everyone who wrote letters to GM on our behalf.

We found out this Tuesday that as of October 31st of this year, we will no longer be a Chevrolet dealer. This is due to many factors such as our partnership with Chrysler, our proximity to the Chevy dealers in Moses Lake, Ellensburg and Wenatchee and GM's overall goal of consolidating its national dealer count. They feel that fewer dealers will be better for the brand in the long term. Even though our dealership was considered in high regards within GM, we are still a causality of GM's grand plan.

Our building has housed the Chevrolet brand since it was built in 1951. This October we will begin a new chapter as Barry Chrysler Dodge Jeep. It's been interesting to watch both GM and Chrysler head in a new direction over the last year. There is a lot at stake, but from what I've seen so far, the signs are very encouraging. Even though both companies have shown that they will survive and flourish, I feel that Chrysler is poised for better things in the long run. With the new Dodge Ram being the most award winning truck in history, a new world class Grand Cherokee debuting this spring, a new 300 and Charger launching this fall and the benefits of a great partnership with Fiat arriving next winter, THINGS ARE REALLY GOING TO BE EXCITING!

Thank you again for everything. We will be a fully operational Chevrolet dealer until October 31st. We can perform all warranty work and sales operations until then. After that time, we will still service and repair all GM vehicles since we will retain all of GM's special tools, training and parts. The change will not affect our normal dealership operations or the wonderful staff I work with. We are open for business and excited about our future!

Please let me know if you have any questions. I'd be happy to discuss the situation with anybody.

Go Cougs!

Denver Morford
Barry Chevrolet Chrysler Dodge Jeep
denver@barrychrysler.com
www.barrychrysler.com
509-754-2411
WSU Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2010, 10:34 AM   #9
XDCX
Administrator

WSU Fan - Welcome to the Forum.

As you can see there are other dealers here who are in the exact same situation and they are now relying on Chrysler as their only OEM.

I love your positive attitude and it sounds like you did a great job gathering community support trying to retain your GM franchise.

I hope you enjoy the forum. Although it's still pretty small, there are some great members here.
Old 03-22-2010, 11:45 AM   #10
SHACOS
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by WSU Fan View Post
With the new Dodge Ram being the most award winning truck in history, a new world class Grand Cherokee debuting this spring, a new 300 and Charger launching this fall and the benefits of a great partnership with Fiat arriving next winter, THINGS ARE REALLY GOING TO BE EXCITING!
I really have to applaud your positivity. It's not easy to find it, especially in today's market. Good luck to you!
SHACOS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2010, 01:21 PM   #11
CJDman

What a good attitude. Hope everything works out being a Chrysler dealer. I agree that we only have to make it through 2010-2011, then being a Chrysler dealer is going to be great again. Best of luck.
CJDman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2010, 06:03 PM   #12
Ralph

Keep up the good work and attitude my friend. Desire is 9/10ths the battle. I'm rooting for you!!!!!
Ralph is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2010, 06:09 PM   #13
Txflyer

WSU Fan,
Great to have you on board. Sounds like we've got a whole lot in common! In order to cut expenses from GM we took an early wind down. Not sure what the loss in business has cost, but the savings on our DMS and no more fixed GM charges have been a huge help. As slow as things have been over the last 8 months or so, I think doing that has saved a lot of red ink.
Txflyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2010, 06:25 PM   #14
ohiobuckeyes

WSU Fan - Welcome and GO Cougars!

We are very excited to have another positive Chrysler dealer on board in the forum. Your also find your community and customer base will support your dealership even more. And your time with GM fly's by the day it was only yesterday (December 17) when we cut our losses and walked away.

2011-2012 is going to be best year to be a Chrysler Group Dealer. So thanks for jumping on board and can not wait to hear some of your input to what we all have talked about in the rest of the forum.
ohiobuckeyes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2010, 10:13 AM   #15
WSU Fan

Default Thanks all!

Thanks for the welcome and remarks. Seriously though, look at the new Ram. If that's any indication of where we are headed then the future looks bright. Knock on wood but I feel that our customer base is more interested in service and support than the logo on the front of the car. In recent history, people come in wanting to know about the new Malibu, but end up buying an Avenger due to price and the "wow, this is it? I was expecting far less..." comments.

All it's going to take is one customer at a time, one test drive at a time and we'll be a strong organization again.

Some advice, get to know your Chrysler Fleet rep. They are now really competitive and are aggressive toward the fleet business. I've had over a dozen orders in the last week, all coverted from Chevy due to the great pricing plans that were written.

Go Cougs!
WSU Fan is offline   Reply With Quote