Go Back   DealershipForum.com > Regional Forums > Southwest Region > Automotive Discussions

Notices

Old 09-10-2008, 11:27 AM   #1
XDCX
Administrator

Default Carmean Dodge closes down - Complaints linger

It appears that another Northern California Chrysler Dealership has closed their operations.

Reports on an Internet Forum indicate that Carmean Dodge has been closed down and the building remains vacant.

Other reports indicate that there are customers that have issues with payoffs, titles and extended service contracts.

Does anyone have more information about Carmean Dodge?

As I recall the dealership was sold within the past year and it appeared that the new owners had done a good job of increasing sales.

Here's a link to the Forum that reported that the dealership is closed: http://www.topix.com/forum/topstories/TC97532KRGUNJ3KPI
XDCX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2008, 09:07 AM   #2
XDCX
Administrator

While I firmly believe that you cannot believe everything that you read on the Internet, there's a post on a Topix Forum indicating that the former owner of Carmean Dodge is now selling cars at an Infiniti Dealership in the Sacramento area.

Other posts indicate that employees were not paid for their final hours and vacation time.
Old 01-29-2010, 02:19 PM   #3
XDCX
Administrator

Default So, why's a TV News Station surfing DealershipForum?

I thought it was strange this afternoon when I noticed there was an IP Address for a Sacramento TV Station surfing this thread.

When I checked out their website, I figured out why - The owner and GM of Carmean Dodge have been arrested and are charged with embezzling $1.3 Million. Here's a link to the news report - click here

It appears the dealership was SOT with Chrysler Financial, owed sales tax to the State of California and failed to pay-off liens and remit Service Contract premiums.
Old 01-29-2010, 02:45 PM   #4
The StraightShooter

Ro-bust dealer network eh?
The StraightShooter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2010, 10:53 AM   #5
XDCX
Administrator

Default 18 Month investigation and they perform the arrest at 7:30 a.m.

Here's a news report that includes a mug-shot of Larry Carmean after his arrest - click here

Maybe I'm just a born cynic, but doesn't it seem strange that the police would perform an arrest at 7:30 a.m. after an 18 month long investigation. It's almost like they wanted to get mug shot that made Carmean look beat-down and depressed.

Please don't get me wrong, if Carmean did what he's accused of doing then I think he should spend a long time in prison. That said, part of me wonders if the investigation isn't more intense because he allegedly defrauded the state out of their sales tax?

Is the state trying to use this case to send a message to other dealers who are short of cash and tempted to embezzle sale tax revenues?