Go Back   DealershipForum.com > Asian Franchises > Hyundai/Kia > Parts

Notices

Old 01-13-2008, 11:15 PM   #1
XDCX
Administrator

Default Is your Parts Inventory Increasing or Declining?

As many dealerships brace for what is expected to be a difficult year for profitability, I'm curious what most dealerships are doing with their parts inventory.

Has the dollar value of your parts inventory increased or decreased over the past year?

This question will be posted in each of the franchise sections to determine if there is a trend that can be identified. Additionally, I'd like to hear opinions about each manufacturer's parts return programs.

So, here's the question for the Parts Managers: Has the dollar value of your parts inventory increased or decreased over the past year? Also, how would you rate your manufacturer's parts return program?

Please take a moment and share your thoughts.
XDCX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2013, 05:26 PM   #2
kiaparts

I have been here since Sept 2012 and our inventory has decreased. When the current owners bought the business the inheirated alot of obsolete parts. I have been able to cut alot of that down, we are a little under 10% right now.

I have tried to stock more of fast moving items and watch what our system is automatically putting in. Kia has a fair system for returns if you take care of your special orders.
kiaparts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2013, 12:56 PM   #3
XDCX
Administrator

Congratulations on cutting back on your aged inventory and getting it under 10%.

Hopefully your GM or owner is aware of your improvements and appreciates having the additional capital to reinvest in his/her dealership.
Old 01-24-2015, 07:00 AM   #4
forestersg6

Ours has massively increased, from Nothing to about $16K within the last Month...although we are a brand new dealership.
forestersg6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2015, 09:11 AM   #5
XDCX
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by forestersg6 View Post
Ours has massively increased, from Nothing to about $16K within the last Month...although we are a brand new dealership.
While I'm sure there are a lot of Parts Managers who would be envious that you get to start your inventory from a clean slate and you're not burdened with the mistakes of your predecessors, I'm also betting that only those who have opened a new store can relate to all of the work you have ahead of you.

I have never had to open a new store but I've know a lot of managers who have and almost all of them, regardless of department, indicated it's a lot harder to get a new business started than it appears.

Good luck with your endeavor and thanks for joining the forum.