Go Back   DealershipForum.com > Domestic Franchises and Independent Dealers > General Motors > Parts

Notices

Old 06-04-2014, 07:58 PM   #1
GMParts1984

Default Our fair share

Has anyone out there figured out what "creative accounting" will be involved in getting your Parts dept. compensated for: A. Looking up and retaining the key code cut info. B. Physically going to the back and cutting the key FOR THE Tech. C. Supplying the Tech with the cut-sequence so that they can properly load the cylinder. On average, I can see an EXPERIENCED counterperson using up around 20 minutes of time, let alone one that is fairly new in the biz. The rate calls for .4 and I for one think that the PD deserves .2 for the aforementioned steps. Thoughts?? Suggestions??
GMParts1984 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2014, 07:01 AM   #2
79LilRedExpress

[QUOTE=GMParts1984;34475]Has anyone out there figured out what "creative accounting" will be involved in getting your Parts dept. compensated for: A. Looking up and retaining
79LilRedExpress is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2014, 08:25 AM   #3
XDCX
Administrator

Default How is your Parts Department being compensated for the GM Ignition Switch Recall?

GMParts1984 - First thread - thanks for joining DealershipForum.

I added the title "How is your Parts Department being compensated for the GM Ignition Switch Recall?" to my post to make this thread more "search friendly" for Google, Yahoo, Bing, etc.

Concerning your question, I think it's a great topic and I'm sure it's being debated in hundreds if not thousands of GM dealerships across the country.

While you make an excellent point about the time it takes for a Parts Department employee to process the recall, I'm guessing the Service Managers are going to express concern that the 4/10ths payment isn't adequate to pay technician and their department cannot afford to give up a portion of that payment.

Hopefully some of our other members will chime in with what they're doing in their store to make sure that all departments are compensated for the work it takes to process the GM Ignition Switch recall.
XDCX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2014, 11:51 AM   #4
Megadraught

When this first started, our parts department was very busy with the spring rush (tire season).

We have 3 techs that are doing the recalls, so they all received a crash course on how to load the cylinders and use the key machine, as the parts department was too busy to lose a man for 20 minutes.

When I receive the kit, I print off the key code and attach it to it.

After that, its all the tech's job.
Megadraught is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2014, 05:18 AM   #5
zep33

When the kits come in, I pull the key codes and cut the keys. I do them when I get the chance. After the keys are cut I let service know the parts are in. I also staple the key cuts to the RO so the tech will be able to code the cylinder. I won't do those and I'm not asking for anything for cutting the keys.

We're a smaller dealer and I only have 46 total orders for these to this point. 4 have been done. 15 are on the shelf waiting for customers to come in and the rest are still on order.

I got 4 in yesterday and was able to finally get the last set of keys cut around 4:30 in the afternoon. It takes me approx 10-12 minutes to pull codes, get the cuts and cut 2 keys for each kit.

I only have myself and a counterguy here and I handle all the ignition recall related parts.

I cut the keys first because I know at some point, 5 techs will come to the window to get the kits and there's no way in hell I'll be able to cut keys on demand here for these so I wash my hands of all parts related functions before service even knows the stuff is here.

I'm sure if we were a bigger dealer with 6-700 of these to do, I'd attack it differently but I'm also pretty sure I'd have adequate help.
zep33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2014, 01:28 PM   #6
Joker

It's a campaign, everyone is getting screwed. Looks like we are also going to have to return all of these ignition kits to the WPC, yay!
Joker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2014, 08:49 AM   #7
XDCX
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joker View Post
It's a campaign, everyone is getting screwed. Looks like we are also going to have to return all of these ignition kits to the WPC, yay!
I wonder why GM wants the old parts back?

My only thought is GM wants to be able to prove that the repairs are being made and there isn't a possibility of a dealer submitting a false claim.

Maybe there's another reason, but I can't imagine GM will ever investigate all of the parts that will be sent back and the scrap value of the parts doesn't justify all of the effort...
Old 06-10-2014, 04:41 AM   #8
zep33

There's no way GM "wants" to spend an additional $10 million or so to get the old junk parts back. This is being forced upon them by the investigators.
Old 06-10-2014, 10:02 AM   #9
tnpartsguy

Quote:
Originally Posted by zep33 View Post
I'm sure if we were a bigger dealer with 6-700 of these to do, I'd attack it differently but I'm also pretty sure I'd have adequate help.
I was pretty sure that I'd actually get to hire that 3rd counterperson I desperatly need, esp since 80% of my day is now involved in recall work that the parts department makes little profit on..... I was WRONG
tnpartsguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2014, 11:48 AM   #10
XDCX
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by tnpartsguy View Post
...esp since 80% of my day is now involved in recall work that the parts department makes little profit on..... I was WRONG
That must be frustrating - especially since it probably wouldn't be too hard to train someone to take over the recall related work that's taking so much of your time.

Any chance your Dealer/GM would let you hire a temporary employee? With most kids soon to be out of school for the summer it might be a "win-win" for a kid who's looking for a job and would allow you to get back to the job of running your department.
Old 06-10-2014, 12:16 PM   #11
zep33

Quote:
Originally Posted by tnpartsguy View Post
I was pretty sure that I'd actually get to hire that 3rd counterperson I desperatly need, esp since 80% of my day is now involved in recall work that the parts department makes little profit on..... I was WRONG
That sucks man
Old 06-11-2014, 08:28 AM   #12
GMPRTSMGR

At the end of each month I have our controller transfer the 40 plus dollars from warranty labor to warranty parts for each cylinder and keys we do.
GMPRTSMGR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2014, 10:28 AM   #13
XDCX
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by GMPRTSMGR View Post
At the end of each month I have our controller transfer the 40 plus dollars from warranty labor to warranty parts for each cylinder and keys we do.
GMPARTSMGR - First post - Welcome to DealershipForum.

Thanks for sharing the solution that works for your store.
Old 06-11-2014, 12:24 PM   #14
Lakeshow

Quote:
Originally Posted by GMPRTSMGR View Post
That's the most logical way to do it. There is .4 hours in the recall specifically for cutting the keys.
Lakeshow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2014, 11:59 AM   #15
XDCX
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lakeshow View Post
That's the most logical way to do it. There is .4 hours in the recall specifically for cutting the keys.
Thanks for the information - I wasn't aware that the recall payment included 4/10th to cut keys.

Back to my earlier point, I can't imagine why a larger store wouldn't want to hire someone on a part-time basis to handle this chore if it's taking their Parts Manager away from more important responsibilities.