Go Back   DealershipForum.com > Asian Franchises > Toyota/Lexus > Sales

Notices

Old 06-17-2010, 10:09 PM   #1
XDCX
Administrator

Default UAW vows to 'pound' Toyota in unionizing effort

I tend to skip most of the news stories concerning the UAW because frankly most of them just end up making me mad. More important, they're rarely relevant to a forum designed to address dealer issues.

Today's headline is an exception -UAW vows to 'pound' Toyota in unionizing effort. For the full report - click here

The new leader of the UAW intends to use protesters and retires to picket Toyota Dealerships in an effort to "pound" Toyota into submission. The UAW's already used that tactic when Toyota closed the NUMMI plant in California and the UAW's efforts failed miserably.

The UAW has failed 100% of the time when they've tried to unionize a foreign owned assembly plant. Not surprisingly, there's legislation before Congress that will make the UAW's efforts easier. Where would this country be without government intervention?

I did read one sentence of the article that made me smile - the UAW's membership has dropped below 400,000 after peaking at 1.5 Million in 1979.
XDCX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2010, 05:57 AM   #2
possum

Sadly, the gov't and the unions, are now joined in marriage and will act as one. All these rips at Toyota, by the administration, are just getting the UAW setup, and in position to "pound".
possum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2010, 08:03 AM   #3
The StraightShooter

...and to think Toyota made a $250 million dollar payout to the UAW workers(when they didn't have to) of the old Nummi Plant in California that they used to be operate with GM. Now I'm from the Northeast so Unions are a way of life 'round here and have certainly been part of my families history, but this is just legalized extortion.
The StraightShooter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2010, 08:26 AM   #4
lsx only

i hope they have a union so we can all be on a level playing field,i am so anti toyota its not funny
lsx only is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2010, 11:39 AM   #5
XDCX
Administrator

I guess my frustration was why drag the dealers into this mess?

If the UAW wants to go after Toyota, that's fine, but leave the dealers alone and don't use Congress to fight your battles. (As I understand it, the unions want to eliminate the "secret ballot" provision because they feel that peer pressure will sway the vote to their side if the each employees vote is made public.)
XDCX is offline   Reply With Quote