Go Back   DealershipForum.com > Dealer Talk > Automotive Discussions

Notices

Automotive Discussions Car People talking about the Car Business – This is the place where it happens

Old 03-25-2015, 08:50 AM   #1
atikovi

Default Why can't dealers put their local phone number online?

It's bad enough that the yellow pages are pretty useless these days so if I have to call a dealer and don't have the number I have to google it. The problem is that it usually gives me an 800 number that gets routed to 3 or 4 places before reaching the actual dealership. Today I called a Ford dealer, after 3 rings I get the notice, "For quality of service this call may be recorded," after another 3 rings its, "to provide the very best service this call may be recorded," then a few more rings and clicks before I get a live operator at the dealer. Why can't they just have their local number in the google listings to avoid this hassle?
atikovi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2015, 12:03 PM   #2
XDCX
Administrator

Interesting thread.

I just did a quick test and noticed that when I used my Android Smartphone and asked for the phone number of two local Ford Dealerships the Google results provided the local phone number with Area Code.

I did the same search via my laptop and Google provided me with links to the Dealerships' webpages - both of which only offered toll free numbers as you pointed out.

Concerning the use of toll free numbers, I'm almost certain the stores are using them so they can track what is driving phone traffic to their stores. (e.g. One toll free number for print advertising, another for direct mail, another for the dealership website, etc.)
XDCX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2015, 12:06 PM   #3
atikovi

Quote:
Originally Posted by XDCX View Post
I'm almost certain the stores are using them so they can track what is driving phone traffic to their stores. (e.g. One toll free number for print advertising, another for direct mail, another for the dealership website, etc.)
99% of the time I just want the parts department so I don't know if that matters for tracking.
atikovi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2015, 02:54 PM   #4
birch3x

The factory sponsored websites have a different 800 or 888 number than the store's own number. These calls are recorded and admin at the store can see them for quality purposes. This also tracks how many customer go through the factory website. These are usable functions to help manage a business. On a side note, it's interesting to know that when some calls are recorded they also record while on hold.
birch3x is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2015, 10:59 AM   #5
XDCX
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by birch3x View Post
The factory sponsored websites have a different 800 or 888 number than the store's own number. These calls are recorded and admin at the store can see them for quality purposes. This also tracks how many customer go through the factory website. These are usable functions to help manage a business.
That makes sense and I agree that reviewing the recorded phone calls provides management with a good training tool. It's also valuable to see what's driving phone traffic to your dealership.

Quote:
On a side note, it's interesting to know that when some calls are recorded they also record while on hold.
I want to make sure I understand - are you saying that if I call the dealership and I'm placed on hold you can hear what I say while I'm on hold? If that's the case then I'm sure I've left some entertaining recordings over the years....
Old 03-26-2015, 11:03 AM   #6
XDCX
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by atikovi View Post
99% of the time I just want the parts department so I don't know if that matters for tracking.
I tried a few more examples and every time I did a search with my smartphone it came back with a local number.

Google's speech recognition has improved so much over the past few months I find I'm doing more searches via my smartphone because it's so much easier/faster.
Old 03-26-2015, 11:56 AM   #7
birch3x

Quote:
Originally Posted by XDCX View Post
That makes sense and I agree that reviewing the recorded phone calls provides management with a good training tool. It's also valuable to see what's driving phone traffic to your dealership.

I want to make sure I understand - are you saying that if I call the dealership and I'm placed on hold you can hear what I say while I'm on hold? If that's the case then I'm sure I've left some entertaining recordings over the years....
That's right, everything the phone mic picks up. People say interesting things on hold.
birch3x is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2015, 09:15 AM   #8
XDCX
Administrator

Quote:
That's right, everything the phone mic picks up. People say interesting things on hold.
Thanks for the clarification - I'll definitely keep that in mind the next time I find myself on hold....