Go Back   DealershipForum.com > Regional Forums > East Region > Automotive Discussions

Notices

Old 04-15-2010, 01:32 PM   #16
XDCX
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by The StraightShooter View Post
Kinda feel bad for him as the only thing worse than dealing with Chrysler could quite possibly be dealing with the IRS.
I feel the same way. I don't know him but I certainly don't wish him any ill-will. There were a lot of good dealers who got caught up in the CF to GMAC quagmire so I don't hold that against him.

That said, I wouldn't want to be fighting with a U.S. Attorney who likes to hold press conferences. It's funny how stories alleging tax fraud always seem to fill the headlines each year around April 15th.
XDCX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2010, 01:59 PM   #17
ohiobuckeyes

Quote:
Originally Posted by XDCX View Post
Great information - it's just about 17 hours too late.

That's what The StraightShooter and I were talking about in the last two posts and why I made the reference to Jim Press. (Who is also on the IRS Radar Screen for unpaid taxes)
Thats me Mr. Late to the PARTY. I did notice that with Your post about Jim Press did not put two and two together.

Does Press also have a FORECLOSER or Two with a Toyota Credit Union as well?

Last edited by XDCX; 04-15-2010 at 02:24 PM. Reason: Fixed quote tag to make post easier to read
ohiobuckeyes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2010, 02:40 PM   #18
XDCX
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by ohiobuckeyes View Post
Thats me Mr. Late to the PARTY. I did notice that with Your post about Jim Press did not put two and two together.

Does Press also have a FORECLOSER or Two with a Toyota Credit Union as well?
No worries, I was just giving you a hard time about missing the original post.

Concerning Press; his situation with the IRS and his credit union loan default have mostly dropped off the radar screen. The most recent report I've seen dates back to October of last year when it was reported he owed the IRS almost $1 Million and his credit union was suing him for defaulting on a $609K loan.

Press was quoted a few times when the Toyota recall issue was red-hot with the media but I never read anything regarding his situation with the IRS or his credit union.
Old 04-15-2010, 07:39 PM   #19
Slo

Sounds like Barbera is just trying to get a cabinet appointment with the current administration, or at least to have an opportunity to work under Timothy Geithner...
Slo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2010, 08:05 AM   #20
XDCX
Administrator

Default Barbera pleads guilty to not reporting "Dealer Rewards" money from Chrysler Financial

News reports indicate Gary Barbera has plead guilty to tax fraud charges that could lead to a jail sentence between 12 - 18 months. Here's a link to the full report - click here

Barbera admitted he instructed Chrysler Financial to make his quarterly "Dealer Reward" checks made payable to himself and never reported the income on his dealership or personal tax filings. The charges relate to his 2003 and 2004 tax filing and resulted in cheating the IRS out of $77,675 in taxes.

I'm amazed that it took this long for him to get caught and that he'd be so brazen to think he could get away with this scheme.

Even more surprising, why would a dealer like Barbera risk jail time over what is such an insignificant amount of money to him?
Old 11-06-2010, 09:31 AM   #21
XDCX
Administrator

Default Barbera spared jail time - gets three year probation

News reports indicate Gary Barbera was sentenced yesterday to a three year probation and will be required to wear an electronic monitoring device. For the full report - click here

The report referenced his Chryslerland Dealership - is it still operational? Did he find a new flooring source?
Old 11-06-2010, 10:32 AM   #22
CL Pgh

Quote:
... is it still operational? Did he find a new flooring source?
GARY BARBERA'S AUTOLAND USA (MABC) / 1 nvdr last month / 204 YTD.
CL Pgh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2010, 10:43 AM   #23
dealer3100

5 NEW VEHICLES IN STOCK

http://www.garybarberasautoland.com/...ventoryListing
dealer3100 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2010, 11:23 AM   #24
XDCX
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by CL Pgh View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by dealer3100 View Post
Sure doesn't sound like he's found a new flooring source. I wonder if he got the same letter from Chrysler that our member scooter did?
Old 11-08-2010, 05:30 AM   #25
dodgequality

Auto dealer Gary Barbera was sentenced Friday to three-year’s probation, which includes one year of home confinement, for filing false tax returns, federal prosecutors in Philadelphia said.

Barbera, 45, of Gladwyne, Pa., operates Gary Barbera’s Chrysler Group at 7810 Roosevelt Blvd. in Northeast Philadelphia. He pleaded guilty on May 6 to filing false returns for the car dealership bearing his name for the tax years 2003 and 2004.

In addition to the probationary and home confinement term, U.S. District Court Judge Jan E. DuBois ordered Barbera to pay $119,744.55 in restitution to the Internal Revenue Service and to pay a $30,000 fine.

The case was investigated by the IRS criminal investigation division and was prosecuted by Assistant U.S. Attorney Mary E. Crawley.

Read more: Car dealer Gary Barbera sentenced | Philadelphia Business Journal
dodgequality is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2010, 06:59 AM   #26
XDCX
Administrator

Quote:
Not familiar with this dealer at all… but just now noticed his name in the MABC sales volume chart. As of today he shows 21 nvdr’s for the month… BUT, only 25 YTD. ??? Same line shows total sales last year as well as CMLY so it’s not a new dealer or dealer code. Very strange!
Quote:
I didn't notice it until I re-read this thread but it seems strange that Barbera's store only had 25 sales YTD back in April and now he has 204 sales YTD even though he only had one NVDR last month.

I wonder if he had a few good months over the summer or if it was just a one month spike?
Old 01-27-2011, 12:39 PM   #27
XDCX
Administrator

Default Barbera's back in the news

It appears Gary Barbera and his Chryslerland dealership are back in the news. Here's a link to the news report - click here

When I first read the report I thought it was a re-print from last year but when I read further I noticed the report made reference to Barbera's probation - something that's relatively recent.

It's hard to say what's happening, but it's rarely a good thing when the State Police start hauling off documents and the power company shuts off the electricity.
Old 01-28-2011, 10:54 AM   #28
XDCX
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by dealer3100 View Post
I just checked your link - now the dealership is down to three new vehicles in inventory and 12 used vehicles.

It appears Babera's store has been operating for over a year without a flooring source and yet it remains an active dealer code on Chrysler's website.

I wonder why Chrysler has allowed some dealers without a flooring source to continue while they've pushed others to self-terminate?
Old 01-28-2011, 05:36 PM   #29
Jeff Duvall

Quote:
I wonder why Chrysler has allowed some dealers without a flooring source to continue while they've pushed others to self-terminate?
In many cases it was because of the large loans owed to Chrysler Financial (cerberus). Don't forget Cerberus (chrysler financial) was in charge when the dealer cuts were made. Now it is very difficult to terminate at will because of state franchise laws.

Last edited by XDCX; 01-28-2011 at 07:39 PM. Reason: Fix quote tag to make post easier to read/understand
Jeff Duvall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2011, 09:22 AM   #30
XDCX
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff Duvall View Post
In many cases it was because of the large loans owed to Chrysler Financial (cerberus). Don't forget Cerberus (chrysler financial) was in charge when the dealer cuts were made. Now it is very difficult to terminate at will because of state franchise laws.
Excellent comment - that makes a lot of sense.

The difference in value between an open dealership and a closed one is huge - especially when you factor in today's commercial real estate market. It would certainly be in Chrysler Financial's best interest to keep Barbera's store open until he finds a flooring source or a buyer.