Go Back   DealershipForum.com > Asian Franchises > Toyota/Lexus > Sales

Notices

Old 03-14-2010, 11:08 AM   #1
XDCX
Administrator

Default Was the runaway Prius in California a hoax?

I don't watch a lot of television but I bet I've heard at least 10 different reports or references to the runaway Prius in California. Now it appears it might be a hoax.

The first report I saw was when CNBC cut into their normal broadcast to show live footage from a TV helicopter that showed a CHP vehicle in front of the Prius on the side of the highway. The report indicated the CHP responded to a request for assistance when the owner could not stop his Prius as it raced down the highway at speeds up to 94 MPH.

Later that day I saw news footage featuring a computer animation of a CHP partol car racing down the highway to catch up to the runaway Prius and then coaching the driver how to slow it down.

Finally, I saw numerous reports where the driver performed media interviews at the dealership with the Toyota Brand Logo prominently displayed in the background.

After all that coverage, now it's starting to look like this might be the next "Balloon Boy" hoax. Here's a link to a TV news report that sparks questions about the owner of the vehicle and the claims he's making - click here

The other piece of information I read that I thought was interesting is the driver of the vehicle made TWO phone calls to the CHP dispatcher and the timing between the calls and the conclusion of the event was over 20 minutes. Seems hard for me to believe that someone could spend 20 minutes in a runaway car without figuring out some type of a solution.
XDCX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2010, 12:26 PM   #2
Txflyer

This one smells fishy to me (althought I DO think that Toyota has some sort of electronics issue going on.

Maybe this guy and balloon boy's dad can share a cell when it's all over?
Txflyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2010, 01:26 PM   #3
79LilRedExpress

Quote:
Originally Posted by Txflyer View Post
This one smells fishy to me (althought I DO think that Toyota has some sort of electronics issue going on.

Maybe this guy and balloon boy's dad can share a cell when it's all over?
Maybe Toyota set the whole thing up ....

Sure would take some of the heat outta the kitchen.
79LilRedExpress is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2010, 02:20 PM   #4
XDCX
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by 79LilRedExpress View Post
Maybe Toyota set the whole thing up ....
Wow, I like the way you think.....

On a serious note I don't believe Toyota conspired to set the whole thing up. That said, this could be a major home-run for them in terms of Public Relations. This event allows them to show their concern for public safety and re-establish their position that the Prius is safe.

Perhaps of greater importance, Toyota gets to show they're vulnerable to false claims and the media will probably be less likely to cover every claimed occurrence of sudden acceleration until the facts have been determined. In my opinion, it's a "win-win" for Toyota.

Concerning the owner of the Prius in California, I'm still not sure what his agenda was. Like the father in the "Balloon Boy" saga he appears to crave media attention but I'm not sure how he intended to profit from this attention. Apparently all he wanted from Toyota was another car.

I wonder what this event did to Toyota's stock price and whether anyone profited from that movement? If this event turns out to be a hoax the owner of the Prius might be getting a visit from the SEC.
Old 03-15-2010, 07:51 AM   #5
XDCX
Administrator

Default Toyota has a Press Conference this afternoon

I just read that Toyota has a Press Conference scheduled for this afternoon where they are expected to comment on this case. Here's the link to the full report - click here

I read last night that the Prius owner has adopted a low profile with the media and he's now represented by an attorney. Perhaps most interesting, the attorney representing him is the same one representing the family of the CHP officer who died in a highly publicized accident involving a Lexus that resulted in the death of four people.

My first thought was it's in the attorney's best interest to try and make this Prius issue go away since it detracts from his claim against Toyota for the problem he alleges caused the accident that killed his client's family.

In my opinion, the Lexus situation was real and the Prius situation was fake. I don't fault the attorney for trying to deflect attention away from the fake case.
Old 03-15-2010, 01:01 PM   #6
crowe

The front page of USA today has a lead article on Toyota deaths. The article continues & covers the entire 2nd page & lists 9 stories of people that died in Toyota crashes.
crowe is offline   Reply With Quote