Go Back   DealershipForum.com > Regional Forums > Southwest Region > Automotive Discussions

Notices

Old 03-04-2015, 10:18 AM   #1
XDCX
Administrator

Default Dealership Liquidation Auction - Lund Cadillac - Phoenix, AZ

I know the majority of our members live in cities other than Phoenix, but I thought I'd create a thread on the Dealership Liquidation Auction that Auction Nation is holding for the old Lund Cadillac.

Auction Nation is holding a total of four weekly sales - one has already passed, another ends today and the following two auctions end next week and the week that follows.

Here's a link to the Auction Nation website - click here

If nothing else, you may want to review the items that are for sale and see what the current online bid is - I always think it's interesting to get an idea of what the market is like for dealership equipment/supplies. (Chrysler always referred to these assets as FFE - Furniture, Fixtures and Equipment.)

As an added bonus, if you see an item for sale that your dealership needs maybe you can take a trip to sunny Phoenix, AZ and write the trip off of your taxes.
XDCX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2015, 10:27 AM   #2
XDCX
Administrator

If you're thinking that Lund Cadillac sound familiar, you may have seen the ads they used to run in Automotive News looking for new employees.

In the late 90s and several years that followed Lund Cadillac was a hugely successful dealership that often advertised in Automotive News tempting potential employees with great sales volume, big money, dealer demos and wonderful weather.

Here's the image they ran in most of their ads:

At some point the dealership was purchased by the Van Tuyl Dealer Group which has been in the news of late since it was recently acquired by Warren Buffet's Berkshire Hathaway.

That's enough DealershipForum trivia for one day....
Old 03-04-2015, 10:56 AM   #3
57years

Sorry, I must add this trivia..Bob Lund famous quote at Dealer Meeting in Cincinnati:

"If there ever is a 'rubber band' car on the market, I can assure you Chevrolet will make the best 'rubber band' car in the market!"

We were selling the Chevette against the Honda, Toyota, Datsun... and getting our a**** handed to us. The only competitor we could beat was Ford, and only because we had the Norwood Camaro plant and Hamilton Stamping plant employee programs.
57years is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2015, 12:51 PM   #4
mryan55

Wow... I remember seeing the 'now hiring' ads all the time!

At first I thought they may have just closed all together, but now it looks like they may have gone through a buy-sell. Hopefully business is good for them!
mryan55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2015, 08:51 AM   #5
XDCX
Administrator

Here's a link to the recap of this week's auction - it's four pages long - click here (I'm guessing the link will die at some time but was active at the time this thread was posted.)

For the most part, with the possible exception of the parts shelving, I thought the prices seemed pretty high for used equipment.
Old 03-05-2015, 08:54 AM   #6
XDCX
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by 57years View Post
Sorry, I must add this trivia..Bob Lund famous quote at Dealer Meeting in Cincinnati:

"If there ever is a 'rubber band' car on the market, I can assure you Chevrolet will make the best 'rubber band' car in the market!"

We were selling the Chevette against the Honda, Toyota, Datsun... and getting our a**** handed to us. The only competitor we could beat was Ford, and only because we had the Norwood Camaro plant and Hamilton Stamping plant employee programs.
So was Mr. Lund trying to rally the troops and convince them that Chevrolet was the best brand in the market or was he sending a jab to the GM Brass that selling their cars wasn't easy given the strength of the competition?
Old 03-05-2015, 09:07 AM   #7
XDCX
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by mryan55 View Post
Wow... I remember seeing the 'now hiring' ads all the time!

At first I thought they may have just closed all together, but now it looks like they may have gone through a buy-sell. Hopefully business is good for them!
I always thought those ads were awesome - especially if a dealership was looking to recruit talent from markets that were battling low sales and a hard winter. Based on everything I've heard/seen I think Lund Cadillac truly was a powerhouse dealership that would have been great to work for.

While my information may not be 100% correct, as I understand it Lund Cadillac closed so they could take over an open point that GM had awarded to another dealer. The open point was in a much better part of town but the dealer who had secured the rights to the franchise walked away because the economy was still very poor.

The Van Tuyl group acquired the rights to the franchise and opened a beautiful single point Cadillac store, Arrowhead Cadillac, and subsequently closed down Lund Cadillac.

In a similar fashion, I remember another instance where a Dealer walked away from a CJDR point that was awarded in Surprise, AZ. The Larry Miller Group ended up with the CJDR franchise and it appears their investment will pay dividends since the Auto Mall has added more franchises and now appears to be vibrant. Here's the thread we had on the forum - click here
Old 03-05-2015, 09:16 AM   #8
57years

Cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by XDCX View Post
So was Mr. Lund trying to rally the troops and convince them that Chevrolet was the best brand in the market or was he sending a jab to the GM Brass that selling their cars wasn't easy given the strength of the competition?
He WAS the GM Brass. He was GM of Chevrolet at the time, VP GM. I think he had at least one more Job boost before he retired. To me, in my 30's, I was amazed his reward for GM years was a Cadillac store, and not a Chevrolet Store. Made me rethink the whole "Loyalty" thing to Chevrolet, after my Great-Grandfather, Grandfather, and Dad were always Chevrolet. Thereafter, I bought a Ford Store, and 5 pack Chrysler store.
57years is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2015, 11:08 AM   #9
XDCX
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by 57years View Post
He WAS the GM Brass. He was GM of Chevrolet at the time, VP GM. I think he had at least one more Job boost before he retired. To me, in my 30's, I was amazed his reward for GM years was a Cadillac store, and not a Chevrolet Store. Made me rethink the whole "Loyalty" thing to Chevrolet, after my Great-Grandfather, Grandfather, and Dad were always Chevrolet. Thereafter, I bought a Ford Store, and 5 pack Chrysler store.
Thanks for the update.

I had no idea that Lund was a retired GM factory guy - he must have been pretty high ranking to get a Cadillac store as his Golden Parachute.

Concerning Loyalty, as I grow older it seems there are more and more examples of where loyalty pays pretty low dividends. I think it's a nice idea but taken to an extreme it can be costly - especially for dealers who think their loyalty to the factory is reciprocal.

To be clear, I think there are a lot of great OEMs who genuinely have great relations with their dealers, but it only takes one executive at the Zone or Regional level and everything can change in a heartbeat.
Old 03-17-2015, 10:43 AM   #10
XDCX
Administrator

Default Automotive turntable, curtains and lighting for Internet photos

I thought this was a pretty cool idea:

I imagine it would be a lot faster for a photographer to shoot high quality pictures with this type of set up. I wonder if many dealerships use a setup like this to photograph their cars?

The auction ends tomorrow - the current bid for the whole setup is $260.
Old 04-01-2015, 11:16 AM   #11
XDCX
Administrator

Default Did you ever want your own Cadillac logo?

It looks like the last auction dealing with the liquidation of Lund Cadillac ends in about eight hours. Here's a link to the current auction - click here

Here's one item that caught my eye:

The Cadillac logo above the front doors currently has a high bid of $360 and the two flag poles have a current high bid of $55 each.
The auction also has some Accessory Display Cases that look like they're great deals given the current bid.
Old 04-03-2015, 10:18 AM   #12
XDCX
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by XDCX View Post
It looks like the last auction dealing with the liquidation of Lund Cadillac ends in about eight hours. Here's a link to the current auction - click here

Here's one item that caught my eye:

The Cadillac logo above the front doors currently has a high bid of $360 and the two flag poles have a current high bid of $55 each.
The auction also has some Accessory Display Cases that look like they're great deals given the current bid.
Well, the winning bid for the Cadillac sign was $1,025.01 and the flag poles sold for $75 each. Pretty good deals overall I'd say.

With the final auction for Lund Cadillac now complete I think the building is headed for demolition.