Go Back   DealershipForum.com > Domestic Franchises and Independent Dealers > General Motors > Parts

Notices

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-18-2014, 08:09 AM   #1
TORGY
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Posts: 114
Default ignition switch recall part numbers with ADP

does anyone that uses ADP have a good solution to how to receive and contact the customer once we receive the new part number kits for the ignition switch recall?
We order one part number and GM ships us one of two different part numbers so when we receive the parts to repair the customers vehicle we receive an entirely different number than we had initially ordered. Now our DMS system will have no way to know that the part was received to repair the customer vehicle.
My thought is that we will have to cancel the initial order in ADP and create and receive an entirely different order for each switch that we receive. Or we will need to build a spread sheet of some kind to work off from.


Last edited by TORGY; 04-18-2014 at 08:19 AM.
TORGY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2014, 08:17 AM   #2
zep33
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Posts: 226
Default

GM - We're not happy until you're not happy
zep33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2014, 02:17 PM   #3
XDCX
Administrator
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Posts: 14,835
Default

Thanks for creating the thread - it's a great question and a problem that virtually every GM dealer will have to solve.

While I wish I had a great answer for you, I don't. Part of me thinks it might be easiest to track the parts orders and subsequent arrivals via a spreadsheet. I know it's more work for your staff but I can't think of any easier option.

Hopefully someone with more knowledge or a better idea will chime in.
XDCX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2014, 09:14 PM   #4
tnpartsguy
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Posts: 492
Default

Spread sheet. Only way to keep track of hundreds of parts orders of the same part number.

Only GM could make a bigger mess of a disaster.
tnpartsguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2014, 07:55 AM   #5
zep33
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Posts: 226
Default

Apparently, GM only messed up the first day by using the last part of the SPAC case # as the control # before going back to your supplied control #. I still haven't seen any come in for me at all. Being a Caddy, Buick and GMC dealer the only ones I've had to order so far are for our customer's other vehicles. I only have 10-12 on order right now.

I have service write a repair order for the vehicle before I order anything and use the RO # for the control # so when these start coming in here, it will be simple to track what's for who.

We use Reynolds and Reynolds. Since each one has been manually ordered by me direct on Global from the RO, Reynolds doesn't show any on order so there won't be anything to swap around.

I also keep every RO in a folder on my desk so when they do come in, I will receipt each one manually, bill them to the RO and then give the RO back to service.
zep33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2014, 11:02 AM   #6
tnpartsguy
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Posts: 492
Default Update

on 13454, 14063, and 14092 GM isn't going to ship what you order.
I am no longer ordering parts on the ADP system. It's too cumbersome to order a part that changes to 2 different kit numbers.
I'm ordering straight on the GM side, and not reciepting them, just doing an "S" sale.
I have a spreadsheet listing the RO #/Customer name/Recall #/Control #/Part # ordered/SPAC or order #/Whether the car is here or not/Service Advisor/and any note. Once they are ordered the original RO goes in a file in MY office that is locked if I'm not here. Keys for vehicle here going in the same file drawer. Once the kit arrives we pull key codes from GM, and key decodes from D2D, attach all that to the original RO and it goes to the recall coordinater to call or send a postcard to get the customer in.
tnpartsguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2014, 12:18 PM   #7
XDCX
Administrator
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Posts: 14,835
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by tnpartsguy View Post
on 13454, 14063, and 14092 GM isn't going to ship what you order.
I am no longer ordering parts on the ADP system. It's too cumbersome to order a part that changes to 2 different kit numbers.
I'm ordering straight on the GM side, and not reciepting them, just doing an "S" sale.
I have a spreadsheet listing the RO #/Customer name/Recall #/Control #/Part # ordered/SPAC or order #/Whether the car is here or not/Service Advisor/and any note. Once they are ordered the original RO goes in a file in MY office that is locked if I'm not here. Keys for vehicle here going in the same file drawer. Once the kit arrives we pull key codes from GM, and key decodes from D2D, attach all that to the original RO and it goes to the recall coordinater to call or send a postcard to get the customer in.
Thanks for the update on the process you're using to order parts for the GM Ignition Switch Recall.

I haven't been following the recall too closely but it appears GM deserves low marks for how they've handled every aspect of this recall. Given the number of vehicles involved it's too bad GM didn't spend more time and develop a better process for their dealers to order parts.
XDCX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2014, 11:46 AM   #8
TORGY
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Posts: 114
Default

I have decided to order through parts work bench only and keep track of my orders on a spreadsheet. I also shared this spreadsheet with my counter staff, service advisors, and service manager via Drop Box. This way when I receipt or order the parts everyone can have access to the spreadsheet and see when the part was ordered, when, if ever it is received ,and the date the customer has been contacted. This can be used in a similar way to the ADP fast lane.

We have about 120 on order, the first order being done on 04/09 and everyday since. We still have not received one cylinder as of today.

Last edited by TORGY; 05-13-2014 at 11:48 AM.
TORGY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2014, 12:11 PM   #9
XDCX
Administrator
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Posts: 14,835
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by TORGY View Post
I have decided to order through parts work bench only and keep track of my orders on a spreadsheet. I also shared this spreadsheet with my counter staff, service advisors, and service manager via Drop Box. This way when I receipt or order the parts everyone can have access to the spreadsheet and see when the part was ordered, when, if ever it is received ,and the date the customer has been contacted. This can be used in a similar way to the ADP fast lane.

We have about 120 on order, the first order being done on 04/09 and everyday since. We still have not received one cylinder as of today.
That's an interesting solution - I like the idea of a spreadsheet that's updated and shared via Dropbox so everyone has access to the same data.

Concerning the recall, I wonder how many GM dealerships are still waiting for their first parts to arrive? I was under the impression that the repair process was underway...
XDCX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2014, 01:33 PM   #10
TORGY
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Posts: 114
Default

just received 2 cylinder kits yesterday...both for Saturn's. We are a Chevrolet dealership and haven't seen one for a Chevrolet.
TORGY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2014, 04:13 PM   #11
tnpartsguy
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Posts: 492
Default Recal Blues



13454/14063
Total of 263 orders. 56 done. 15 kits here waiting to be done.
Still have 8 in rental cars. Had at least 10 orders cancel due to customers either ordering the parts from more than 1 dealer or incorrect VIN entry when we placed the order.

14092
Total of 92 ordered to date. 2 in rental cars.

14079 (Cruze Axle)
16 grounded on our property. Over 40 on order. 7 in rental cars. 1 buy-back.

I havn't slept well in weeks. GM utterly botched the handling of this recall.
If they had just sent say 75 kits to the small dealers, 200 to mid-sized (ME) dealers, and 300 to big dealers and let US handle them the way we always have, this wouldn't seem like such a crisis. Or better yet, many of these folks would be thrilled to get $500-1,000-1,500 for these POS's, especially the Saturds, buy them back!!
tnpartsguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2014, 06:02 AM   #12
zep33
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Posts: 226
Default

GM doesn't seem to be able to do anything at all right. If only their shareholders knew what really goes on.
zep33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2014, 11:39 AM   #13
XDCX
Administrator
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Posts: 14,835
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by tnpartsguy View Post
I havn't slept well in weeks.
I bet there are a lot of other people who can relate to your situation.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tnpartsguy View Post
GM utterly botched the handling of this recall.
If they had just sent say 75 kits to the small dealers, 200 to mid-sized (ME) dealers, and 300 to big dealers and let US handle them the way we always have, this wouldn't seem like such a crisis.
This would have been the perfect solution - it's simple, it's fast and it provides the dealers the ability to take care of the customers who are most concerned about the recall.
XDCX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2014, 11:48 AM   #14
XDCX
Administrator
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Posts: 14,835
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by zep33 View Post
GM doesn't seem to be able to do anything at all right. If only their shareholders knew what really goes on.
While I haven't followed the whole recall chaos too closely it appears that GM has made numerous poor decisions and made a bad situation much worse.

Concerning GM's performance beyond the recall disaster, there are some indications that GM is drifting back to becoming the same company that was forced into bankruptcy.

For me, it's all about product and I'll be interested to see if GM is able to deliver outstanding new product like the C7 Corvette or whether they just rehash old designs like they did with their new pickup.
XDCX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2014, 10:44 AM   #15
TORGY
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Posts: 114
Default

Did I miss a bulletin on the 14092 where we can actually start ordering the parts?
I found the part number but haven't seen anything that we can actually start to order them.

I agree 100% with "tnpartsguy" on the pre shipment of parts to dealers. there should have been pre-shipped parts sent out based on your customer list.

why 2 different key blanks? Make them all the same and quit causing more hassle than there needs to be! It's already screwed up enough!

Warning.....if your having the tech's code the cylinders you may want to verify that they are putting all the tumblers in the cylinder.
TORGY is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
ADP Cash Di$covery Program tnpartsguy Parts 2 08-11-2012 10:31 AM
ADP or R&R vs AUTOMATE birch3x Finance 15 07-23-2011 11:43 AM
GM Dealer Needs Help with ADP W.E.B. suite / DVC issue 57years Sales 2 07-18-2011 09:56 AM
Sales Numbers CarguyCO Sales 5 03-26-2010 01:28 PM
ADP to release App for the I-Phone XDCX General Discussions 3 01-27-2010 07:50 AM


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 12:19 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright DealershipForum.com - 2008 - 2016