Go Back   DealershipForum.com > Asian Franchises > Toyota/Lexus > Sales

Notices

Old 07-08-2012, 11:06 PM   #1
Swcorp

Default Scion FR-S/ Subura BRZ

Hey toyota guys, just wanted to know what add on's are you putting on these sick little FR-S to make more? The Subura BRZ is selling for $600 more but comes with voice activated navigation. I love these cars!!!
Swcorp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2012, 05:43 PM   #2
XDCX
Administrator

Thanks for starting the thread. It's odd because I was thinking about starting a thread about the new Scion FR-S too.

I noticed that Scion's sales were up when I was reviewing the June Sales Results but I figured it was because a bunch of senior citizens were buying the base version of the new Scion iQ. (My parents live in a retirement community and I've already noticed a few new Scion iQs in the neighborhood.)

But last night I was watching something on Tivo and I was fast forwarding through the commercials when I saw a car commercial I hadn't seen before. It was a front engine/rear drive vehicle that was promoting itself as a nimble sports car intended for people who like to drive. I had no idea what the vehicle was until the end of the commercial - it was the new 2013 Scion FR-S.

I thought the vehicle looked awesome.

In answer to your question, I wonder how Toyota feels about "Addtional Dealer Profit" stickers because I'm betting there's a lot more demand for the FR-S than there is supply.
XDCX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2012, 05:48 PM   #3
XDCX
Administrator

Default Picture of the Scion FR-S

Here's a picture of the 2013 Scion FR-S for those who may not have seen one:

Old 07-16-2012, 11:07 AM   #4
XDCX
Administrator

Default Interesting article on the Scion FR-S and Subaru BRZ

Here's an interesting article from USA Today about the Scion FR-S and the Subaru BRZ - click here

I haven't followed either car very closely and was surprised to learn that the Scion FR-S is actually built by Subaru's Fuji Industries - it's essentially the same car as the Subaru BRZ.

I also thought it was interesting that the Subaru is priced higher than the Scion and includes some options not available on the Scion.

Frankly, I think it's a brilliant strategy from Toyota but I'm somewhat surprised they would re-brand another OEM's vehicle - I would have thought Toyota would have been too prideful to do that. That said, by my assessment Scion was a dying brand and release of the Scion FR-S is a much needed shot of adrenaline.

On a final note, while I've know what a "boxer" engine is since the days I first started reading about Porsches, I never knew how it got its name....
Old 07-16-2012, 08:59 PM   #5
AR2

Quote:
Originally Posted by XDCX View Post
Here's an interesting article from USA Today about the Scion FR-S and the Subaru BRZ - click here

I haven't followed either car very closely and was surprised to learn that the Scion FR-S is actually built by Subaru's Fuji Industries - it's essentially the same car as the Subaru BRZ.

I also thought it was interesting that the Subaru is priced higher than the Scion and includes some options not available on the Scion.

Frankly, I think it's a brilliant strategy from Toyota but I'm somewhat surprised they would re-brand another OEM's vehicle - I would have thought Toyota would have been too prideful to do that. That said, by my assessment Scion was a dying brand and release of the Scion FR-S is a much needed shot of adrenaline.

On a final note, while I've know what a "boxer" engine is since the days I first started reading about Porsches, I never knew how it got its name....
I guess when you are at the top, you can do whatever you want. Toyota is also rumored to be in talks with BMW about building a sports car. Apparently, BMW will be doing the engineering, while Toyota works on the exterior (maybe). I'm not sure of all the details, but it is apparent to some people that majority of the project would be done by BMW so Toyota can get its own sports car. I guess we'll see.

I have read that Toyota CEO Akio Toyoda is a big fan of performance cars. He even started a corporate performance "club" for his engineers so they can become more passionate about performance cars. Just think, if Toyota ever gets passionate about performance and design and adds those attributes to its current corporate structure, look out!
AR2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2012, 03:14 PM   #6
XDCX
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by AR2 View Post
I guess when you are at the top, you can do whatever you want. Toyota is also rumored to be in talks with BMW about building a sports car. Apparently, BMW will be doing the engineering, while Toyota works on the exterior (maybe). I'm not sure of all the details, but it is apparent to some people that majority of the project would be done by BMW so Toyota can get its own sports car. I guess we'll see.
I'm getting caught up after my sabbatical and just read this post.

I'm not sure I like the idea of Toyota and BMW doing a car together. While I think it would be great for Toyota, I really think it would weaken the BMW brand image. BMW has managed to stay independent for this long and I think it would be sad to seem them lose their independence.

That said, I know there are many in the industry who feel the smaller OEMs must form partnerships and collaborations to survive so maybe this is the future.
Old 08-04-2012, 09:41 PM   #7
AR2

Quote:
I'm getting caught up after my sabbatical and just read this post.

I'm not sure I like the idea of Toyota and BMW doing a car together. While I think it would be great for Toyota, I really think it would weaken the BMW brand image. BMW has managed to stay independent for this long and I think it would be sad to seem them lose their independence.

That said, I know there are many in the industry who feel the smaller OEMs must form partnerships and collaborations to survive so maybe this is the future.
After what has happened over the last 10-15 years, I can understand the fear about BMW losing its independence. Unlike other automotive companies , however, BMW is fiercely protective of its independence. It is going to stay independent as long as it can. The independence of BMW (and the other German car companies) is a source of pride for the company and its country - something that is sorely missing in this country. This is why the three main German car companies (BMW, Mercedes-Benz, and VW) are doing so well globally and why the U.S. can only claim two car companies - one of which just climbed out of bankruptcy protection And we wonder why Detroit continues to barely stay above water. I just don't see the Germans throwing in the towel any time soon.
Old 08-06-2012, 12:06 PM   #8
XDCX
Administrator

Quote:
After what has happened over the last 10-15 years, I can understand the fear about BMW losing its independence. Unlike other automotive companies , however, BMW is fiercely protective of its independence. It is going to stay independent as long as it can. The independence of BMW (and the other German car companies) is a source of pride for the company and its country - something that is sorely missing in this country. This is why the three main German car companies (BMW, Mercedes-Benz, and VW) are doing so well globally and why the U.S. can only claim two car companies - one of which just climbed out of bankruptcy protection And we wonder why Detroit continues to barely stay above water. I just don't see the Germans throwing in the towel any time soon.
Great comments - it will be interesting to see how long BMW can remain independent but since their culture is different than that of the Detroit 3 maybe it will be a non-issue.

I remember feeling a sense of the German pride that you describe when I was watching the video that BMW uses to promote their European Delivery Program. I was really impressed with BMW's European Delivery Program - it's definitely on the "bucket list."
Old 08-09-2012, 08:55 PM   #9
AR2

Quote:
Great comments - it will be interesting to see how long BMW can remain independent but since their culture is different than that of the Detroit 3 maybe it will be a non-issue.

I remember feeling a sense of the German pride that you describe when I was watching the video that BMW uses to promote their European Delivery Program. I was really impressed with BMW's European Delivery Program - it's definitely on the "bucket list."
I hope BMW can stay independent for quite some time. In fact, I would like to see BMW buy a "mainstream" brand to add to its lineup. Honda would be a nice fit, but that will never happen (since Honda is also very protective of its own independence). I have thought that Mazda would be an even better fit. It is the fwd version of BMW and since it is apparently on its own now (due to Ford selling almost all of its stake), it will need protection to survive. BMW needs a "mainstream" fwd brand so it doesn't have to revert to fwd, and it has the money. Will this ever happen? I highly doubt it, but it is worth a thought.

Concerning the European Delivery, it looks and sounds like a great deal. I won't be doing it when I get my BMW next year, but I would like to do it eventually. The Germans not only have pride in their car companies, but they also have pride in their country. Try offering a "Detroit Delivery" and see what happens. We only have ourselves to blame for that.

An individual at F30Post.com chronicaled his European Delivery with a massive amount of pictures. I didn't get through half of them, but they show his trip to Europe, the BMW HQ, BMW Welt, and the delivery of his car. As a side note, the 335i coupe I am thinking about should look similiar to his 335i sedan (exterior and interior colors).

And now for the link (warning: a large number of pictures will download; you may need to refresh to get more pictures to display)
http://www.f30post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=696214
Old 08-14-2012, 12:34 PM   #10
XDCX
Administrator

Quote:
I hope BMW can stay independent for quite some time. In fact, I would like to see BMW buy a "mainstream" brand to add to its lineup. Honda would be a nice fit, but that will never happen (since Honda is also very protective of its own independence). I have thought that Mazda would be an even better fit. It is the fwd version of BMW and since it is apparently on its own now (due to Ford selling almost all of its stake), it will need protection to survive. BMW needs a "mainstream" fwd brand so it doesn't have to revert to fwd, and it has the money. Will this ever happen? I highly doubt it, but it is worth a thought.
It will be very interesting to see what the future holds for Mazda.

I'm pretty certain that Mazda is the only Japanese OEM that's currently losing money and they're in a very difficult position because the vast majority of their production capacity is in Japan. With the current Yen/Dollar/Euro exchange Mazda is at a severe disadvantage.

Mazda's Management Team has also made many questionable decisions in the past couple of years. The biggest concern I read was they screwed their shareholders over by issuing new shares and diluting the equity position of existing shareholders. Mazda went to the equity market even though the company owns a hospital and has an interest in a professional baseball team.

In my opinion Mazda builds some decent cars but I doubt they'll be around in their current form in the next five to ten years.
Old 08-14-2012, 12:53 PM   #11
XDCX
Administrator

Quote:
Concerning the European Delivery, it looks and sounds like a great deal. I won't be doing it when I get my BMW next year, but I would like to do it eventually. The Germans not only have pride in their car companies, but they also have pride in their country. Try offering a "Detroit Delivery" and see what happens. We only have ourselves to blame for that.

An individual at F30Post.com chronicaled his European Delivery with a massive amount of pictures. I didn't get through half of them, but they show his trip to Europe, the BMW HQ, BMW Welt, and the delivery of his car. As a side note, the 335i coupe I am thinking about should look similiar to his 335i sedan (exterior and interior colors).

And now for the link (warning: a large number of pictures will download; you may need to refresh to get more pictures to display)
http://www.f30post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=696214
That thread was simply AWESOME - I managed to review the whole thread over the weekend.

BMW's European Delivery program is even more aspirational now. It would be great to take delivery of a new BMW in Germany and then tour the countryside before taking a few laps at the Nürburgring.

I loved the color combination of the BMW 335 in the thread. I wonder if there are tint laws in Europe because it seemed like almost all of the cars photographed had window glass that was almost clear. I noticed the author of the thread posted a picture of his 335 now that it's stateside and he's tinted the windows - it looks so much better.

Concerning the hundreds of photos in that thread, I really enjoyed looking at all of the cars that are available in Europe but not available in the U.S.

On a side note, one thing I noticed after I was about 90% of the way through the photos was the relative low percentage of people walking the street who were obese. I wonder if the recent increase in obesity is mostly an American phenomenon?
Old 09-05-2012, 08:10 PM   #12
AR2

Quote:
That thread was simply AWESOME - I managed to review the whole thread over the weekend.

BMW's European Delivery program is even more aspirational now. It would be great to take delivery of a new BMW in Germany and then tour the countryside before taking a few laps at the Nürburgring.

I loved the color combination of the BMW 335 in the thread. I wonder if there are tint laws in Europe because it seemed like almost all of the cars photographed had window glass that was almost clear. I noticed the author of the thread posted a picture of his 335 now that it's stateside and he's tinted the windows - it looks so much better.

Concerning the hundreds of photos in that thread, I really enjoyed looking at all of the cars that are available in Europe but not available in the U.S.

On a side note, one thing I noticed after I was about 90% of the way through the photos was the relative low percentage of people walking the street who were obese. I wonder if the recent increase in obesity is mostly an American phenomenon?
I don't want to get this thread too far off topic (too late), but I'm glad you really enjoyed the thread concerning the BMW European Delivery. It does appear to be a great event and it makes me want to pull the trigger when I order next year, but I don't see it happening just yet. Maybe sometime in the future.

Regarding the people in the photos, it was my experience when I was last in Germany 20 years ago that they were very active people. If they are not playing soccer, tennis, or basketball in the afternoon, they are riding their bikes to and from work, school, etc... I don't know if it changed over the years, but my impression was that the Germans don't sit in front of a tv until later in the evening. They want to be active and as fit as possible. Even the older generation wants to stay active. It is a different mindset than in the United States. Of course, there were some overweight individuals over there, but not many. They not only take pride in their country, cars, towns, beer and soccer, but they also take pride in themselves.
Old 09-05-2012, 08:13 PM   #13
AR2

Quote:
Here's a picture of the 2013 Scion FR-S for those who may not have seen one:

I saw one of these this past Saturday. It was bright white and it looked pretty good in that color (bright red would have been better). I actually had to analyze it for a few seconds to realize what it was, but it will certainly make you turn your head and take notice.