Go Back   DealershipForum.com > Domestic Franchises and Independent Dealers > Chrysler > Sales

Notices

Old 08-10-2010, 01:50 PM   #1
XDCX
Administrator

Default Three "winning" dealers sue Chrysler over LOI terms

Automotive News is reporting that a third dealer is now suing Chrysler over the reinstatement terms demanded in Chrysler's LOI. The dealership was one of 32 that won their arbitration case.

Here's the list of the three "winning" dealers who are suing Chrysler:
  • Deland Dodge - Deland, FL
  • Century Motor Corp - Wentzville, MO
  • Causeway Jeep - Manahawkin, NJ
It appears that each case has been filed independently and the dealers are using different law firms. To the extent very few "winning" dealers appear to have accepted Chrysler's LOI, I wonder if they'll ever be able to join forces and establish a class-action claim?
XDCX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2010, 02:09 PM   #2
steve_biegler

Won the battle but continue to lose the war!
steve_biegler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2010, 11:25 PM   #3
XDCX
Administrator

Default Now it's four "winning" dealers suing Chrysler

News reports indicate that Livonia Chrysler/Jeep is suing Chrysler and Crestwood Dodge in an effort to have their dealership reinstated. Livonia Chrysler/Jeep was one of 32 dealerships that won their arbitration case against Chrysler. For the full report - click here

For their sake, I hope the "winning" dealers are communicating with one another - maybe a class-action case makes more sense? Is CRDR still working behind the scenes to help these dealers get their stores back?
Old 08-25-2010, 09:54 AM   #4
XDCX
Administrator

Default Now it's nine "winning" dealers suing Chrysler

Automotive News is reporting four more "winning" dealerships have filed suit against Chrysler claiming the terms of their LOI are too restrictive and prevent them from re-opening their dealerships.

The attorney representing the four dealers indicates there may be more dealers joining the suit in the next week or two.

Here's a list of the nine "winning" dealers who have filed against Chrysler:
  1. Deland Dodge - Deland, FL
  2. Century Motor Corp - Wentzville, MO
  3. Causeway Jeep - Manahawkin, NJ
  4. Eagle Auto Mall - Riverhead, NY
  5. Terry Chrysler-Jeep - Burnt Hills, NY
  6. Crossroads Superstore, - Atoka, OK
  7. Westminster Dodge -Dorchester, MA
  8. Livonia Chrysler Jeep - Farmington Hills, MI
  9. Star Chrysler-Jeep - Glendale, CA

Old 08-25-2010, 04:29 PM   #5
Ralph

Go Westminster!!!
Ralph is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2010, 07:01 PM   #6
bos

Thanks, Ralph. Westminster Dodge won its arbitration and will fight on to achieve what is right. Chrysler continues to put its spin on what the arbitration mandate entails as if they are above the law. We just want to be back in business as a Dodge dealership. The only enforcement of arbitration is a lawsuit. We're in it to win.
bos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2010, 04:33 AM   #7
Ralph

I don't know much about dealers in other areas of the country, but I can say Westminster was the real shocker in New England for me. It certainly wasn't a monetary decision on Chrysler's part in terminating that dealership. Being one of the largest parts purchasers in the USA...that had to have HURT Chrysler's profitability. A great example of how the task force and Herr Marchionne chose the terminated dealers. A combination of politics and a really big dart board in the office.
Old 08-26-2010, 07:16 AM   #8
Moparguy

In retrospect, having lived through the past 10 years, and being a Dodge dealer since the mid 1960's, I am having great difficulty is determining who is/was worst...the Germans or the Italians. It is a toss up as they are neck and neck in destroying a great company.
Moparguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2010, 07:34 AM   #9
JUNIOR

I have to vote for the Italians, at least Daimler gave Chrysler new, well built vehicles.
JUNIOR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2010, 07:57 AM   #10
steve_biegler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moparguy View Post
In retrospect, having lived through the past 10 years, and being a Dodge dealer since the mid 1960's, I am having great difficulty is determining who is/was worst...the Germans or the Italians. It is a toss up as they are neck and neck in destroying a great company.
I know this is more AMC but when the French (Renault) came into the picture things went to hell in a handbasket. Can anyone see a trend here? LeDuh.
Old 08-26-2010, 08:08 AM   #11
Ralph

Poor Chrysler/AMC have been raped over and over by foreign companies it seems. And the dealers have had to always pick up the pieces, promoting and selling the varying different piles of doo doo that they shipped over the years. How does this name strike your craniums...Renault Fuego? I remember there were piles of them at the ports that we had to take...in old Jim Press style tactics.
Old 08-26-2010, 08:27 AM   #12
steve_biegler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ralph View Post
Poor Chrysler/AMC have been raped over and over by foreign companies it seems. And the dealers have had to always pick up the pieces, promoting and selling the varying different piles of doo doo that they shipped over the years. How does this name strike your craniums...Renault Fuego? I remember there were piles of them at the ports that we had to take...in old Jim Press style tactics.
OH MY...Fueyago...LeCar.....18i "sportwagon"....Medallion.....and we lived through that, only to be cut when THEY went broke. Just not right.
Old 08-26-2010, 02:05 PM   #13
XDCX
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by bos View Post
Thanks, Ralph. Westminster Dodge won its arbitration and will fight on to achieve what is right. Chrysler continues to put its spin on what the arbitration mandate entails as if they are above the law. We just want to be back in business as a Dodge dealership. The only enforcement of arbitration is a lawsuit. We're in it to win.
It's great to hear you're prepared to keep battling for what is rightly yours.

On a different note, it must be hard for you to read that Chrysler's dealer relations "have never been better" when you're forced to sue Chrysler to get them to honor an arbitrator's decision. For a lot of OLDCO dealers this has been a nightmare that never ends.

On a positive note, Like Ralph, I'm rooting for your success.
Old 08-26-2010, 09:48 PM   #14
XDCX
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moparguy View Post
I struggle with this question too.

I think from a dealers perspective Marchionne's silence and his willingness to surrender market share while he "hibernates" is most alarming. The good news is both issues are easy to fix if Marchionne decides he wants to improve the viability of his existing Chrysler dealers.

Daimler, by contrast, killed all the momentum Chrysler had through the mid to late 90's and saddled the dealers with a 180 day supply of poorly designed, poorly styled and ill-conceived vehicles. On the plus side Daimler stepped-up with incentives and gave the BCs and the DAAs enough autonomy so they could sell some cars and make some money.

In my opinion it's not too late for Marchionne to be a hero for the Chrysler dealers. All he has to do is scrap the plans for a Fiat dealer network, allow all the Chrysler dealers to sell the Fiat 500, fire SGS and Morpace, restore the DAAs and appoint a high profile executive in North America who has the authority to ramp-up incentives and claw back market share.

In the alternative, Marchionne can continue to do what he's already done and advance Fiat's agenda at the expense of Chrysler.

It will be interesting to look back at this thread in a year and determine which path Marchionne took.
Old 10-08-2010, 08:17 PM   #15
bos

Westminster Dodge in Boston, the only Chrysler rooftoop left within the city of Boston, is fighting on to regain reinstatement as we won in arbitration. We need help from everybody to get this thing going again. It has left the public's mind and concern. The only people left that know the TRUE story are you, the dealers, Old Chrysler, New Chrysler, terminated dealers, gifted dealers, Ford dealers, Lincoln/Mecury dealers, Hummer, Pontiac, and whoever......What's going on now is criminally wrong.
bos is offline   Reply With Quote