Go Back   DealershipForum.com > Domestic Franchises and Independent Dealers > Chrysler > Sales

Notices

Old 02-21-2012, 11:26 AM   #1
XDCX
Administrator

Default What's up with the Dodge Challenger and Dodge Durango?

What's up with the Dodge Challenger and Dodge Durango?

As we've discussed in other threads I think the Dodge Challenger and Dodge Durango are both great vehicles and I'm surprised by their relatively low sales volume.

I thought the Challenger was a great vehicle from the first day I saw it and the refinements offered on the 2011 model and the addition of the Pentastar V6 have made it even more appealing. That said, why doesn't it sell in higher volumes?

I'll pose the same question for the Dodge Durango - why doesn't it sell in higher volume?

When I first saw the Durango I thought it was going to be so hot it would take away from the Jeep Grand Cherokee - that clearly never happened.

Please share your thoughts. Why are the sales of the Challenger and Durango so light and what does Auburn Hills need to do to revive these vehicles?
XDCX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2012, 11:30 AM   #2
JoeRocket

Price? I'm constantly amazed at the prices I see on our CJD lineup.
JoeRocket is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2012, 09:47 PM   #3
CarguyCO

Yes..price.
CarguyCO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2012, 06:53 AM   #4
chryslersrt8

Besides price a couple of fundamental issues hinder both.

Challenger-based on the Charger/300 platform it is seen as too big and bulky. This causes higher prices, fuel economy issues, and the need for larger technology driven engines to get hp/torque. Whether we want to admit it or not (I hate to) the Challenger nameplate never created the mystique that Mustang/Camero did. The mystique was the 340 and the 426, not the nameplate.

Durango should never have been a Dodge. It is a great vehicle but it should have been a Chrysler or a Jeep. Marketing and public perception is that a Jeep is a tougher, stronger vehicle and the Durango is a half breed step-sibling that isn't Trail Rated tough. Buyers in the $40-50,000 do not perceive the Durango as the vehicle to be seen in the way Jeeps or Chryslers are. At this price level perception IS important!
chryslersrt8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2012, 07:24 AM   #5
lsx only

I know im a cheavy dealer but people just love the new camaro I see it all the time in our customers eyes in fact im getting ready to deliver a black rs 1lt unit.Im a hot rodder at heart and the challanger is just to big and bulky.
lsx only is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2012, 09:04 AM   #6
chryslersrt8

Quote:
Originally Posted by lsx only View Post
I know im a cheavy dealer but people just love the new camaro I see it all the time in our customers eyes in fact im getting ready to deliver a black rs 1lt unit.Im a hot rodder at heart and the challanger is just to big and bulky.
My point exactly!
chryslersrt8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2012, 10:08 AM   #7
XDCX
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by chryslersrt8 View Post
Besides price a couple of fundamental issues hinder both.

Challenger-based on the Charger/300 platform it is seen as too big and bulky. This causes higher prices, fuel economy issues, and the need for larger technology driven engines to get hp/torque. Whether we want to admit it or not (I hate to) the Challenger nameplate never created the mystique that Mustang/Camero did. The mystique was the 340 and the 426, not the nameplate.
I agree that Chrysler was handicapped because the Challenger had to be built on the LX platform but I'm still glad they made the decision to build the vehicle. I'd rather have the Challenger as it exists today than nothing.

Quote:
Originally Posted by chryslersrt8 View Post
Durango should never have been a Dodge. It is a great vehicle but it should have been a Chrysler or a Jeep. Marketing and public perception is that a Jeep is a tougher, stronger vehicle and the Durango is a half breed step-sibling that isn't Trail Rated tough. Buyers in the $40-50,000 do not perceive the Durango as the vehicle to be seen in the way Jeeps or Chryslers are. At this price level perception IS important!
You make an excellent point and this is probably why the Durango will be short-lived. I still remember what a huge success the Durango was back when it was launched in 1998 and feel like it could still succeed.

That said, the path of least resistance is probably to let the Durango die and replace it with a Jeep that Marchionne can sell world-wide.
Old 02-22-2012, 10:17 AM   #8
XDCX
Administrator

Default Doe anyone else think the cheap 2WD Durango looks like a minivan?

As I've stated before I've always liked the styling of the Dodge Durango and thought it was going to be a big seller.

To be consistent, I still like the styling of the Durango and when I see an upscale (I refuse to say Citadel because I think it's a dumb name for a trim package) Durango equipped with 4WD it always catches my eye.

That said, I saw a stripped down SXT 2WD driving through town the other day and it looked like a minivan on steroids. I don't know if it's the low ground clearance or the overall height of the vehicle but it didn't impress me as a powerful SUV - just a big minivan.
Old 02-22-2012, 11:37 AM   #9
possum

Funny, I've been told the same thing about looking like a minivan, so now when I see one, that is what I think about! That thought kinda kills the "tough" side.
possum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2012, 08:10 PM   #10
AR2

Quote:
Originally Posted by XDCX View Post
As I've stated before I've always liked the styling of the Dodge Durango and thought it was going to be a big seller.

To be consistent, I still like the styling of the Durango and when I see an upscale (I refuse to say Citadel because I think it's a dumb name for a trim package) Durango equipped with 4WD it always catches my eye.

That said, I saw a stripped down SXT 2WD driving through town the other day and it looked like a minivan on steroids. I don't know if it's the low ground clearance or the overall height of the vehicle but it didn't impress me as a powerful SUV - just a big minivan.
I agree about the lower priced Durangos. I really liked the upscale Durango (Citadel is a dumb name) when it was first shown to the public. However, my enthusiasm for the Durango design dropped rather quickly when I saw the regular models. They just looked cheap and not as high quality as the upscale model. The R/T model doesn't impress me all that much either.

Having said all that, when I see a lower priced Durango, I instantly think of a 4X4 station wagon. The "Citadel" trim level is the only one I would pay attention to.
AR2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2012, 11:20 AM   #11
XDCX
Administrator

Default Does Auburn Hills care....?

As we've discussed before, concerning the Durango, does Auburn Hills really care if the vehicle fails?

To the extent the vehicle is built in the same plant as the Grand Cherokee, every Durango that is built is just one less Grand Cherokee that can be built. The Jefferson plant is maxed out and I'm betting Chrysler's margin is a lot stronger on the Grand Cherokee than it is on the Durango.

Said another way, because the Jefferson plant is sold out, Chrysler probably leaves "money on the table" each time a Durango is built instead of a Grand Cherokee.

Concerning the Challenger, I don't know if the same theory is valid because I'm pretty sure the LX plant has more capacity. That said, I remember reading in the past that Chrysler's LX plant couldn't build 100% Challengers - the line needed to be building Chargers and 300s at the same time and Chrysler didn't have enough orders for the Charger and the 300 to ramp-up production of the Challenger.
Old 03-25-2012, 06:38 PM   #12
Moparguy

The Challenger is priced too high and the marketing and advertising is terrible...for that matter, the Durango falls in the same group. The Mastermind advertising guy Frenchman does not know what he s doing an there is no real message. For both models we exclude women as a buying group and that is av huge audience. What the h_ ll is a Citidel anyway ? No brand identidy, no brand loyalty, equals no buyers. Remember...the Durango drove around Europe for two years refining it's muscles...that advertising campaign worked really well didn't it. The Fiat upper management hasn't a clue on how to market cars and trucks in the US. How is that J.Lo campaign working...lol. When are we going to get back to being a blue collar car company selling cars to a blue collar audience and women. The Dart has a chance at bringing in a female buyer..I only hope we don't blow it by filming our commercials in a dugout or men's room. Chrysler's advertising sucks. The Durango would have had a better chance selling if it was called a Grand Wagoneer, but there was no chance...it only made sence.
Moparguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2012, 08:39 PM   #13
XDCX
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moparguy View Post
Chrysler's advertising sucks. The Durango would have had a better chance selling if it was called a Grand Wagoneer, but there was no chance...it only made sence.
Moparguy - it's great to have you in the house again.

While I know the majority of Chrysler dealers are happy with the progress Auburn Hills has made I also sense there's still a high degree of paranoia within the dealer ranks and not too many dealers are willing to take a stand and identify Chrysler's mistakes. In that vein, your posts are always refreshing.

Concerning the Grand Wagoneer, I'd bet big money that you'll get your wish. In my opinion it's only a matter of time before the Durango is killed off and replaced by a new Jeep model.