Go Back   DealershipForum.com > Domestic Franchises and Independent Dealers > General Motors > Parts

Notices

Old 12-28-2015, 09:09 AM   #1
pAARtsmanager

Default New GM, Ford, Chrysler, Polaris parts manager

Hello all. I recently came back to work to a dealership I had previously worked at 10 years prior. The previous parts manager left in October and literally took policy & procedure manuals, return paperwork, user names, passwords, etc with her on her way out the door. Basically any info that would help her replacement and former employees do their jobs....LONG STORY. I do have some previous experience with GM and Chrysler, but Ford is new to me and I've otherwise been thrown in to the position with no training or help. I will start training in January and I have some local dealerships that I will eventually give me some help with hands on experience, but in the meantime I could really use a hand with some of GM's return procedures, specifically cores at the moment, and how to get ahold of the materials needed to do returns for a non-DDS dealership. I have come across some info on GlobalConnect but between 4 lines it's a lot to try and keep straight at the moment.
Thank You!!!!!
pAARtsmanager is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2015, 02:19 PM   #2
TORGY

By chance are you in Northern MN?

You should be able to access the GM policy and procedure manual through Global Connect under the reports and tools app.
TORGY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2015, 07:29 PM   #3
XDCX
Administrator

pAARtsmanager - First post - Welcome to DealershipForum.

While I don't have a lot of recent parts experience there are a fair numbers of members here who are knowledgeable and have always been willing to help a fellow member.

Concerning your predecessor - it sounds like there must have been some conflict if she's left the department in such a mess. It's almost a "scorched earth" mentality.

On a final note, concerning your User Name and the capitalization of the AAR - is that a reference to Plymouth's AAR Cuda from 1970...
XDCX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2015, 09:26 AM   #4
pAARtsmanager

Thanks for the replies!
TORGY, yes I am in Northern MN. I'm guessing you know where. I did find the P&P manual, thanks!

XDCX, actually the AAR is just my initials but I never considered that reference. There was a conflict of some sort. I don't know the details, but what's done is done I guess. Just trying to move forward now.

Concerning core returns, I've found my 60-XXXXX green tags (for light cores?). I haven't come across any of the 41-XXXXX tags for heavy cores. How would I go about getting more of the heavy core tags if I can't track any down in the department?
Old 12-30-2015, 01:56 PM   #5
XDCX
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by pAARtsmanager View Post
XDCX, actually the AAR is just my initials but I never considered that reference.
Damn, I really thought I had cracked the code on that one....

Quote:
There was a conflict of some sort. I don't know the details, but what's done is done I guess. Just trying to move forward now.
That's a good attitude to have. No need trying to figure out what happened - better to spend your time moving forward.

I wish you best of luck with your task. Personally I think I'd go insane if I had to figure out how four different OEMs did business.
Old 12-30-2015, 03:15 PM   #6
TORGY

There are no tags for the heavy cores. You will submit as you do a light core, only you will not have a core ID number to use so you swill need to make one up. it really does not matter how you do it. I usually use the work order number that it was installed on or the actual part number. Then you will receive the proper MR paperwork with your deliveries or by mail if you do not have dedicated service.

Feel free to contact me with any questions that you may have. I will lead you astray...kidding.. always will to help if I can.
TORGY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2015, 01:24 PM   #7
tnpartsguy

I would love to have the ability to have someone buy me a plane ticket, get me a hotel room, let me come in and help a dealership like this get back on it's feet, then I can ride off into the sunset..... the departing PM really should be held on criminal charges (destruction of property and theft of intellectual property would hold up in court.)
tnpartsguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2016, 10:30 AM   #8
XDCX
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by tnpartsguy View Post
I would love to have the ability to have someone buy me a plane ticket, get me a hotel room, let me come in and help a dealership like this get back on it's feet, then I can ride off into the sunset.....
That would be pretty cool and there's little question in my mind that the Dealer would be dollars ahead to pay someone like you to come in and set up his/her parts operation.

To be clear, that's not meant to take anything away from the abilities of the OP (Original Poster) but in my experience it's so much faster to have someone come in and establish policies and procedures as opposed to learning by trail and error and OTJ (On the Job) training.
Old 01-04-2016, 10:25 AM   #9
pAARtsmanager

I appreciate the help so far from everyone.

I agree. The dealership would be in much better shape having someone come in and lend a hand with getting things back in shape. Lots of guesswork, crashcoursing and learning as I go. We'll get it all figured out in the long run but it's gonna take a while.
Old 01-04-2016, 03:33 PM   #10
tnpartsguy

Quote:
I appreciate the help so far from everyone.

I agree. The dealership would be in much better shape having someone come in and lend a hand with getting things back in shape. Lots of guesswork, crashcoursing and learning as I go. We'll get it all figured out in the long run but it's gonna take a while.
exactly! A Coach! I'm not talking about coming in and DOING it, rather showing the new parts manager how to access and find different items (like core tags, warranty tags, etc) and how to input orders, return, file claims, and so forth. Especially in the shape he was handed the place.
Old 01-05-2016, 01:18 AM   #11
zep33

I definitely could have used that moving over to Toyota and ADP at the same time
zep33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2016, 09:26 AM   #12
tnpartsguy

Sadly, my Toyota experience is about 25 years out of date. CDK (ADP in witless protection) is sadly fresh - I don't know why anyone would ever resign a contract with these idiots, I have never seen such a nasty cluster of junk in my life.
Old 01-06-2016, 12:35 PM   #13
tnpartsguy

Hey AAR, are you RIM compliant?

Are you checking to make sure that you don't have a RIM return hanging around?
Old 01-06-2016, 01:41 PM   #14
BCCParts

Yes RIM returns will get you if your not paying attention
BCCParts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2016, 07:41 AM   #15
pAARtsmanager

tnpartsguy

Thank you for mentioning that. I'm completely new to the RIM program. I did figure out where to look and saw that I have a RIM generated return on the system.

As far as compliance...I believe we've fallen out because of the turnover here but we're working with our GM rep to get back on track.