Go Back   DealershipForum.com > Dealer Talk > General Discussions

Notices

General Discussions Car People talking about something other than the Car Business – Is there life outside of the Dealership?

Old 01-27-2009, 05:58 PM   #16
Miles

"Look, I'm not buying anything, I just want to get --- Any word tracks on how to turn this attitude around? --- Backup

Not a word track, but a process.

I explain that via a number of court cases, this is probably the only industry wherein I am required by liability laws, to go over all the options with every customer. Since you sir, don't want to hold me accountable for legal violations, I'm sure you'll understand that I have to properly cover those options. It won't take long, and who knows.....

Then start your presentation. After a product or two with them sitting there with their arms crossed and staring at the picture on your wall behind you, not asking any questions and not participating at all...its time to identify the cause of their posture.

Let me ask you something if you don't mind Mr Johnson? You came in here, with your mind already made up as it pertains to things you didn't even know existed. (PDR protection for ex) How is it, or perhaps why is it...that you had previously decided that protections you didn't know about, were going to be "wrong" for you? (You're trying to determine if its something they read, something they got "burned" on in the past, something a coach has "warned" them about.)

Taking the last one first....."the coach", is perhaps the easiest to overcome. I tell this true story, about my first ever dealership car purchase when my Dad went with me. (Understand, my mechanical skills are pretty much limited to the proper operation of the ballpoint pen so I can write the check to the mechanic!):

"As we were finishing up my car purchase, the Finance Manager talked about a Service Agreement. My Dad got po'd and said something like...he doesn't need that crap. I looked at Dad and said maybe we should hear the guy out. Who knows? So we did. When he got done and asked me what I thought...remember, this was 30 years ago and engines weren't shoe-horned into their compartments and cars didn't have more computer parts in them than the Apollo 13 spacecraft did....so I turned to my "coach" and asked Dad, if I pay you the $13/m are you going to buy the parts, pay the tow, rent me a replacement car and repair mine for me? He of course said not only no, but hell no. Which to me, said it was a more than fair offer if my Dad wasn't willing to assume that potential risk, so I bought it and have ever since. Here, use my phone and call your coach. See if they'll put it in writing for you, that they'd assume these costs."

For the objection of "I've read....", this is where your evidence manual comes into play. Hopefully every month, you're getting a couple of repair bills from your service department, where a VSC has paid 2500 or so, and thus the customer didn't. Use a black magic-marker, to delete the consumers name/personal identifying data, and keep those in a 3-ring binder. Then just show him, how much money a VSC is capable of saving. "After all John, it is a lot easier to put $35/m against a potential, than it is to come up with $3500 in spare cash, at a moments notice. Right?"

If your dealership has been around awhile, and has had an F&I Office over the past several years, there should be ample monthly work done by your SVC Dept where VSC's are paying the bill. Put up a board in your office, and update it monthly"

Over the past 12 months
Our customers have saved:

$XXX,XXX

in our Service Department.

Ask me "HOW?" !

JimD
Miles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2009, 05:59 PM   #17
Miles

The truth is your best tool for VSC sales.

a 1999 Chevy Cavalier, had built into it, more computing power than was in the Apollo 13 Spacecraft. And as we all know, that trend has increased, not declined.. On an $1800 computer, if you want a parts/labor warranty too, that warranty is $450. (25% the price of the computer.) Since the car now had so many computer parts in it in addition to all the mechanical and electrical parts, aren't you glad Mr Customer, that you can protect it for only a little more than the sales tax?

Todays cars are more reliable mechanically. This is true. But all those various parts have to talk to one another. Its computer controls, that work ABS. Its computer controls, that work airbags. Its computer controls, that work the thermostatically controlled A/C. Its computer controls, that work the whole car anymore. Mechanically, your car could be 100% perfect, and it still wouldn't run. Why? Because a control module went out. This VSC not only covers the cost for mechanical parts, it not only covers the cost of electrical components, it not only covers the labor for installing those parts, it not only pays for a rental car, it ALSO pays for new computer control modules. Tell me Mr Johnson, if you had to open your computer at home and replace the motherboard (the PC control board)...could you do it? Do you know how? Do you even know WHERE on your car, those parts are located? I don't. Thats why I have this protection on my own car, my wifes car and on my sons car too.

JimD

After greeting the customer with a little small talk I say "... OK, now let's get the legal stuff out of the way. As you know, the State of Florida (insert your state) is a 'total disclosure state.' This means it's up to me to tell you about all of the warranties that are coming with your vehicle and all of the options that you are entitled to with regard to that and with regard to the loan that you are going to be signing for today."

I then go into a quick synopsis of the warranties after which I include the following: "You also have a 1 year thirty-seven hundred or so mile warranty on the sound control devices; intake, muffler, baffles, etc. There is also a 5 year, ahem, 18,641 mile warranty..." At this point they usually start laughing and I continue, "I know, I know but we didn't make up the number, the Federal Government did, it's for the emission control devices."

Then tell them about the tire warranty. At this point I say "Now you have the opportunity to pick up what's called an extended service plan. I use the term 'service plan' and not the word warranty simply because the state feels that if I utter that little-bitty word warranty I'm implying the manufacturer, and these things are all done by insurance companies. The good news is that the one we offer is done by an insurance company but it's (insert manufacturer here) Harley's own insurance company. It's the only factory authorized extended service plan available."

Now what's a "total disclosure state? All states are, aren't they? But you've just shot down any potential argument against making the presentation because you are legally obligated to give it.
I've only had two people still insist on not hearing the presentation. Each one I told, "that's fine, but I'm going to have you sign a couple of forms that say that I did, in fact, tell you about all of the protections that are available to you." As I presented the forms, I went over each item. Yup. I presented the products. Both people bought gap and an esp. One even bought croak and choke as well!
It may not work for you, but I love it!!!!!

wanderer9782

True Story:

I was running a buy-here/pay-here store for the owner of a huge Ford dealer. My folks wanted to spend 5000 or so on a used car. Since my stuff was all 100k miles plus, I suggested they go down the hill to the Ford store and see my favorite salesperson. They ended up buying a 1 year old Cadillac Deville with 28,000 miles and every option Cadillac made for that car. (Cost a little more than 5k, but anyway). I asked them - since they got a "house" deal, did they purchase the Extended Service Policy.

"NO WAY" mom says. "Those things are a ripoff."

They left, and I went down, talked to the BM and wrote a check for a 5 year policy for them. Then I called my mom about the upcoming birthday party this Sunday. "Oh yeah, when you guys get here, I have something for you" I told her.

Sunday they showed up, mom asked what I had for her, and I handed her the service policy. SHE FREAKED OUT. She was so pissed they ended up leaving early.

Fast forward two and a half weeks:

Mom - "Honey, I called to apologize"

Me - "For what?"

Mom - "I just picked my car up from the service department at the Cadillac dealer"

Me - "What happened?"

Mom - "My heated leather seats went out"

Me - "How much did THAT cost?"

Mom - "Nothing, but the bill would have been over $2500 if you didn't make me get that thing"

The policy ended up paying for an engine too. Now she buys one on EVERY vehicle she purchases.

tank
Old 01-27-2009, 06:04 PM   #18
CarguyCO

Okay..not to butt in...but, what other forum?

thanks
CarguyCO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2009, 06:08 PM   #19
Miles

Menu Word Tracks ---Lately, I've found my menu presentations feeling a little stale. I was wondering if anyone has any word tracks for presenting a menu... --- jpemberton

I've turned it around in the past and asked the customer:

"OK Mr Jones, I understand you to be saying that you're not sure the protection is worth the $35/m it adds to your payment. Is that essentially the only thing stopping you from saying yes to this?"

They'll most often respond with a yes.

"Let me ask you this then Mr Jones if you don't mind....If I were to say to you, I'm going to send you $35/m on the 1st, every month, for the next 5 years. Would I have your attention?"

Obviously you do.

"Now Mr Jones, we know that nothing in life is free, and neither is my $35 payment to you. For that $35, here's what you'd have to agree to, in writing:

1) If my car breaks down, you pay for the tow to the dealership.
2) You pay for the parts to repair the car.
3) You pay the labor charge for the repairs.
4) You pay for a rental car for me, while mine is being repaired.
5) You reimburse me for any hotel expenses incurred due to the breakdown.
6) You reimburse me for any meal expenses incurred, due to the breakdown.

Now Mr Jones, do you still want my $35/month?"

OR, a variation on the above.......

I have often used a variation on this one, when faced by a customer who insists these things never get used and are worthless.

"Well Mr Jones, I understand you to be saying that this type of program has no value since the company faces no prospect of paying any claims. Is that correct?" (To which they say, right.)

"OK Mr Jones, let me ask you this then...My wife and I drive a 2005 XXXXX. This Extended Service Agreement would add $32.98/m to your payment. So, if my wife and I were to pay yo $32.98/month, would you sign a contract stating that you will not only pay for the parts and labor to fix our car over the next 5 years, but pay for towing, pay for a rental, reimburse us for hotel/motel expenses incurred due to a mechanical failure, and more to the point, in 5 years if you dont have to pay for any repairs, give us back all the money we paid to you?" (They will inevitably look at oyu as if you have gone completely insane.)

"Well Mr Jones, I only ask because thats precisely what we do. Now, if it honestly presents too much risk for you to assume, how can it possibly be, that it poses too little risk for us to assume?" (Silent close goes here.)

JimD

Welcome to my humble abode! I call it that because I spend more time here than I do at home, and I've got the $38 electric bill to prove it. Yup, $38! I opened the bill up, saw $38 and yelled yipee! Of course I then sat back and realized what a sorry reflection on the state of my life it was. I'm NEVER home!! I treat my place like a hotel room ... without the maid service!
OK, let me get the legal stuff out of the way. The state of Florida is what's called a total disclosure state which means that I have some repayment options and protections that I have to tell you about. So with your permission I'll get them out of the way.

wanderer9782

I came across a question to use when you have a prospect who's unsure and can't seem to make a decision. Simply say, "Is 'I don't know' closer to a no, or a yes?"

What a great question! It clears up the fuzziness. It gives you something concrete to base your next actions on. It's easy to remember in the moment and sounds natural.

toccoakid

gonna play "devils advocate":

My response as a customer to that query...

"I'm not sure."

I guess my point is, I try and avoid questions to which I don't already know the answers. Obviously, there are numerous exceptions to this as in trying to uncover the real story behind an apparent objection. But if the question leaves the customer with the ability to respond without giving you any real information, its been my practice to try not to ask that particular question, in that particular fashion.

Customer: "hmmmmmm, I just don't know."

Me: "OK, I can understand some hesitation. After all, we're not talking about pocket money here. There is apparently a question or two which I have yet to adequately answer for you. Since the best way I know of to get an answer, is to ask the question...ask away"

This to me, has the advantage of letting the customer know that YOU know, there is an unanswered query out there, and it gives that customer "permission" to ask what they may have thought to be a "stupid" question w/o embarrassment. It also, (I think anyway), moves you closer to a trial close.

JimD

I like this one and think that it does have merit for certain customers. I agree with Jim D as far as it does open up the "I'm not sure door" however with a lot of customers, this is a great low key way to prevent the customer from stalling and asking them to make a decision.

Busman

It is indeed low key-no pressure. In that regard its great. You just NEED to have a ready comeback to the "I'm not sure" response, and I don't at the moment, know what that might be.

JimD

"On a scale of 1 to 10 - 10 being you are ready to take it home now and put it in your driveway - 1 being I wouldn't take it if it was free - where would you say you are."

Whatever the response you reply "Wat would it take to get you to a 10."

In many cases I have seen this help clarify the customers thinking and lead to a workable response.

carguyJD

Here's one that works pretty good when the customer says "they don't know". "I understand, but IF you did know, what would the answer be?" You would be surprised how many time the customer will answer without thinking about it.

MenuMan
Old 01-27-2009, 06:12 PM   #20
Miles

Tire and Wheel....(One-liners) --- djbishop

I have always run strong T/W numbers...But I marry it to the ESC...
The best I have seen...And I began doing it also, sorry can't recall who suggested it, is a glass container with "stuff" found on the lot or street...Nails, glass shards, spikes, etc...As a display of what you DO run over every day...
This time of year when the potholes are mentioned virtually everyday on the NEWS...It is a nice lead in...

posted by yugos-r-us, JimD's original suggestion

I also have a $500, fist sized motorcycle transmission part on my desk. Comes complete with a 5 hr labor bill to replace. Helps in selling VSCs too.

JimD

Here is my one liner that I used to sell Tire and Wheel on leases....The two things that aren't covered by the factory warranty of 36/36,000 miles are the tires and rims, so let's protect those as well. It seems to help sell TW alot.

jfoy1976

Wheel & Tire is by far my best product. I get it on half of my deals, including leases, and on just about all of my 3-or-more product deals.

Shows on my menu as:

Wheel and Tire Road Hazard Protection
Provides for the repair or replacement of wheels and tires damaged by covered road hazards, including potholes, for up to 5 years, unlimited mileage, with $0 deductible.

There have been some really good posts previously about what to say. But, I find that the absolute best way to get people thinking about it is to mention it during a walk around of the vehicle immediately after talking about the warranty.

"Susie, as we have discussed, your new car comes with a 4-year, 50,000 mile comprehensive warranty. It's one of the best in the business. One area where you will have exposure, however, is on the wheels and tires. (Now, while standing by one of the front wheels, bend down slightly, and TOUCH the rim.) Alloy wheels and tires are easily damaged by potholes and things you hit in the road. Fortunately, we do have a way for you to get these repaired or replaced at no cost to you."

What you have just done, by touching the rim, is turn an intangible item into a tangible item and give the customer a visual. Touch that rim and you're 75% there.

I spiff my SP's for products. So, it is them who are giving the little speech and touching the rims. It works. And, it puts a positive spin on the product.

I tried the damaged rim thing. I'll never knock it. But, it just wasn't me. I know a lot of people use it and have great success with it. I just thought it scared people a little - and put too much focus on that one product. I'm trying to sell 4 or 5 things. I don't want them thinking about that broke rim, while I'm trying to cover theft protection.

W&T is definitely our go-to product. My SP's know that they don't have to mention or try to sell a lot of product. If they can create a little interest in W&T, they've got the menu started. I take it from there.

snowman

"Guys, I hope you never have a flat tire, but the reality is, as much construction that's going on all over the country, it's a distinct possibility. If you use this protection 1 time in the next 5 years, it will pay for itself." pause "Sir, have you ever PUSHED a motorcycle?" short pause "Now imagine pushing one with a flat tire. Oh, and it's 85 degrees outside and you have the minimum helmet. And, if you're smart, long pants, jacket, and gloves." then, shhhhhhhh. Not another word. The next one who speaks, looses.

Miles
Old 01-27-2009, 06:13 PM   #21
Miles

GAP Sales --- CU Defender

Mr Customer, I am required to read this waiver and get your signature if you choose not to protect yourself with the GAP Provision.

I, *insert customers name*, understand that the GAP Protection I am declining, would offset most if not all of the remaining balance on my auto loan in the event the vehicle should be declared a total loss or stolen. I understand that this leaves me potentially liable financially, for both my Auto Ins Deductible and the deficiency balance which would result from such a scenario.

I therefore decline the additional $3.50/m coverage and willingly and knowingly assume those obligations myself.

Signature: _________________________ Date: ________________

Witness: ______________________________

Something along those lines, which would give a reasonable human cause to reflect and probably reconsider the foolishness of their decision.

JimD

I have a form like Jim's but in big bold letters I titled it

CONSUMER'S WAIVER OF RIGHT TO COVERAGE

That will generally get you another opportunity to sell any products you offer. Nobody wants to "waive their rights" to anything without complete knowledge of what they are specifically giving up. I would use this form just before the contract signing.

wanderer9782

Our opt-out form does have something similar on it. But.....I am going to have them start reading it aloud rather than have them just point to the signature line and say, "sign here."

CU Defender
Old 01-27-2009, 06:19 PM   #22
Miles

Cash conversion --- Beth

True cash buyers are just about impossible to convert. Occasionally you might switch one to a one-pay lease, but it's rare.

Now, outside-lien buyers can sometimes be converted with incentives from us like a lower rate, longer term, lease option, etc. Make sure you're talking to an approvable customer first, because a lot of outside lien deals are customers with bad credit that belong to a credit union that will be the only way for them to get approved.

The key though, is to get a PROPER TURNOVER at time of sale so you can at least give it a shot.

smrozek

One way I have gone about it is to look at the whole deal. I had a customer recently trading in his vehicle. He bought a Buick LeSabre about 5 years ago for around 20k and traded it in to us a couple months ago with 92k on it and it's worth around 6k. I asked him how it felt to lose 14k in 5 years. He of course wasn't happy about it and I showed him where he could lease his new car as opposed to paying cash for it, only pay for roughly half of the car and not worry about the depreciation of it. His payment ended up being around $100 a month due to the $$ he was putting down. End result...Customer happy (not losing $$ on the car over time and only paying for what they use), Dealership happy as customer is happy, and F&I is happy because able to make $$ on lease as opposed to 0 on cash.

onepounder

I have a lot of luck with cash conversions when I am not to lazy to present it. I utilize a spreadsheet that shows the customer the power of time value of money.

But in short without the benefit of a spreadsheet it goes something like this:

Mr. Customer if I could show you a way that I could save you potentially thousands of dollars over your ownership cycle would you be interested?

Great, I noticed that you intended to pay cash for your purchase? I assume you had that 20000 sitting somewhere other than checking account earning no return. Currently I m earning a little over 5% on my savings account hopefully you are doing better than that!

Now to today you have a couple of options you can write me that check eliminating your liquidty and drive away in your new depriciating asset. Or you can leave that money in savings earning you more money. I then draw out the math for them.

X .05%
1000/ yr * 3years = $3000

Of course, you still need a way for paying for your purchase. I could set you up with a 3yr loan to assist with that at very competitive terms.

If we borrow that 20K at 6.25% for three years. You will pay $1985 in finance charges. Saving you and your family over $1000 from striking a check for your purchase.

All I will need is a little information to get you started.

fsm2007

This sits on my desk in full view for the idiots paying cash...

Cost of Paying Cash

Smart Consumer: Buy a car and drive it for 10 years and pay cash.

Over 30 Years you will buy 3 cars at $20,000 each.
You will be taking money out of your savings to do so, which could have been earning money for you for 30 years. If that money could have earned 4.5% over the period the first car you purchase for $20,000 will cost you $74,906 (the initial $20k plus $54,906 in interest you didn’t earn over 30 years because you bought a car). 10 years later you purchase another car for $20,000 (you give the old one to a family member you don’t like). Over the next 20 years this vehicle will only cost you $48,234 (the $20k plus $28,234 in lost interest because you bought a car). It’s Time to buy the last car. The one to take you into your golden years. You have managed to save another $20,000 and you buy a car. This one only cost you $31,059 (only $11,059 in interest).

Congratulations, it only cost you $154,199 to drive 3 cars for 30 years. Plus maintenance and repairs.

That’s $428.33 (plus Maintenance and Repairs)
per month for the privilege of owning a Car.

For those who ask I explain the benefits of leasing.

carguyJD

For whatever reason, finance penetration has been way off across the country for the past several months. I don't need to tell you! We know that CC's are one of the more difficult & time consuming things we do, but none the less, we should be doing them. Here's a tip....

When you get someone a little younger who may have come across a windfall, inheritance or got lucky in Vegas, and still has a mortgage on their home. Use the link below to show them if they put the cash as a lump sum principle payment on their mortgage, they will pay off the mortgage years earlier and save many times the initial investment. I ran my numbers and adding $25,000 10 years into a 30 year mortgage would save $72,000 +

I hope this helps and let me know...

http://aol1.bankrate.com/aol/mortgage-calculator.asp

Dave Sipus

And, I did a Home Equity conversion on Saturday; my rate was 2.5% higher than his HE loan. I hit a number of points, but I turned it into a spot delivery by describing the value of a HELOC to an overall financial plan for life, then showing how using it for a car reduces his overall flexibility; once he used the HELOC for the car, it was no longer available for him to use if he needed it for anything else.

My setup for HE conversions starts: "Wow; a home equity loan for a car, huh? You don't see that very often any more."

Mosca

I agree, great way to start off, but I'm curious though, how would the rest of your conversion go. I don't have any strong wordtracks for HE conversions and I would love to hear what the rest of you all say. Thanks!

Busman

Well, there are really only 3 ways the customer can respond to that:

1) blank look as if to silently say, "WTF? Why not?"
2) "Maybe, but its what I do."
3) "What do you mean?"

1 and 3 both, open the door for you. 2 pretty much shuts you down, but then, you were shot down to begin with.

"Well sir. I guess I don't much see these anymore, because folks have realized that it's your home at risk, if something unforeseen should occur. Nopw, you carry health insurance "just in case", right?"

"Of course."

"And you have Fire insurance on your home, "just in case", right?"

"Yes. Whats your point?"

"Simply this sir, you already realize that major risks aren't necessarily worth taking when its your finances. So why use your driveway, to collateralize a vehicle loan? Use the vehicle instead, and that way your home is not at risk."

JimD

What I got was "Really? Why not?"

I answered with, "Well, the conventional wisdom has now shifted, that it's not a good idea any more. The housing market is pretty volatile right now, no one know when the price bubble will break. And the employment market isn't as sound as it was; that would put your home at risk instead of your used truck, should it come to that. Really all you get out of it is a tax break; in your case, that amounts to what, 25% of $4000? over 5 years that's $200 a year. Not much of a benefit for the risk you take, is it? And, while everyone says at the beginning that they'll pay off their HE on time, statistics show us that most people make frequent "interest only" payments... and that could eat up all your benefit right there, especially if you do it early in the loan. But also, using that HELOC for a car goes counter to its value as a tool in an overall financial plan. It destroys your flexibility. I have a HELOC, too... but I don't use it. It's there for if I need money in an emergency. Think about it; if you use your HE for this truck, and then need money for an emergency; say you're hurt and can't work; what then? But if you use the truck as collateral, then your HELOC stays available for you, as your most important safety net."

Now, I was fishing for hot buttons. I really haven't done a HELOC conversion for probably a year. And it wasn't a monologue, during all this he was asking questions, making statements. When I said that last one, he responded, "And if I go with you I can take it home now?" I said, "Yep," And he said, "Well, I can see it makes sense then. Do it."

Mosca

The best close I have seen is as follows:
Mr. Jones let me ask a questions other than having the ability to pay cash for your automobile today why are you doing it?

on a blank paper draw a line Mr. Jones if you pay cash today what will you have at the end of 5 years? the title to you car right. write title and -25,000.00 - the interest they lost. If you elect to allow me to arrange preferred financing for you now draw the second line- at the end of the 5 years you will have the title to your car, the 25,000.00 together with the interest in the amount of $$$$$$.

mbishop
Old 01-27-2009, 06:22 PM   #23
Miles

Just some really good objection overcoming ideas --- Mosca

Just some really good objection overcoming ideas; Ted Milne shared them with me, and I think they're great. I love the "handle objections as if they were complaints" idea! "so what, everyone has payments that are too high. Buy it anyhow!"

From Grant Cardone:

Objections are an interesting thing. Salespeople often make a bigger deal out of them than the customer. They really aren't any more important than you make them in a sales cycle.

I'll share with you something that I've been saying for a long time.

Most objections aren't really objections at all, but complaints, and should only be handled as a complaint.

Lets look at a breakdown of how to handle: (Those of you who have been to my seminar should recognize this)

1) Listen and acknowledge- This demonstrates confidence and prevents the salesperson from over reacting. You can say; "I understand", "I agree", "I am with you", "You are right"

2) Handle as a complaint first- Try; "Do it anyway", " You can do it", "Everyone has payments that are too high"

3) Isolate the the objection that's valid and didn't handle as a complaint- Say; "Is that your only concern?", "Is that your only reservation?", or "That wouldn't keep you from owning it would it?"

4) Elaborate on the valid objection- This provides the buyer with an opportunity to overcome their own objection. "How could you make it work", "What is the worst thing that would happen if you said yes?", "When you say that (objection) what exactly do you mean?"

5) Move in for the close- This is where you use ways to justify the apparent objection and close over it using justifiers and logic. Remember- Sell on emotion, Close on logic.

Mosca

And the dreaded.......

If anything is going to go wrong...objection --- Beth

Don't know if anyone has a discussion open on objection handling, but me and one of my coworkers were talking earlier about one of the most common ESC objections we get and are struggling with it. We feel like everything we come up with sounds like telling the customer they are stupid...don't think that'll work. Here it is: "If anything is going to go wrong with this vehicle, it'll happen in the first 36,000 miles anyway..." Help!

And now, one of my all time favorite JimD posts.

Mr Johnson, you're right. As far as defective components go, they will fail in the first 36,000 miles. Seals, gaskets, gears, pistons, lifters, valves, torque converters, electrical connectors, computer control modules...those things however, take time to wear down to a point of failure. That time, exceeds the new vehicle warranty and that is a known fact by the manufacturers. It is the very reason, that the manufacturers warranties expire when they do. So that the builder, doesn't get stuck paying for the repairs. GM, Ford, Chrysler, Volvo etc etc...they all value their customers obviously. But they aren't willing to charge, and the public won't pay, what it would take for those builders to assume those risks. Rather, they offer you the opportunity to protect yourself. And here's how....

Now, if they still insist that ONLY new cars breakdown, just ask them point blank..

(caution...you may well come across as a smart-a$$ with this next question, so think twice before using lol...you been warned)

If only new vehicles fail, just out of curiosity I'm wondering why you aren't buying that 1997 Lumina with 113k miles on it for $3750 versus this new Impala for $25,000?

JimD

"Well, Chrysler Corp is no dummy when it comes to creating a warranty for their product. And they have actuaries who study the odds of repair, their costs, etc etc, and the warranty is offered for ONLY 3/36 and only when the vehicle is fresh & new for reason. And if that were the case, anything that will go wrong will happen right away, don't you'd think, they offer no warranty for the first three years and then start at when your vehicle reaches 3yr or 36k? Think about it..."

Julieh

The trick is to tell them what you want to without making them feels stupid. Start with something like "I know how you fell Mr. customer, a lot of my previous customers felt the same way. But here's something you may not have considered ....." that way you start by reinforcing that other people felt the same way they do. If other people feel the same, then it's not stupid, right? Then I would shoot a couple of holes in their theory like "if that were true, then wouldn't a car with 36,000 miles on it that had no previous mechanical problems be worth more than a new one?" or "if the manufacturer offered you a 3 year warranty but you had your choice of whether to start it now, or wait and have it start after 3 years, which would you pick?" or the ever famous "if I had the exact same car with no warranty, how much would you pay?"

Once they agree with you, move on to building value and close.

dogsled

My general response to this objection is "Mr. Customer, I see your point in that you feel like the vehicle should be problem free in 3 years or 36000 miles. However, the other side of that opinion is supported by the manufacturers EXPERIENCE with their product. They are confident to offer a 3/36K oh your new XXX because they rarely have any major difficulties during that period of time. Major problems have a tendency to occur as a vehicle ages just like health problems are more likely after middle age in our bodies. For that very reason I have this program on my personal car and think it's a great idea. Now with that in mind the VSC is only going to add about $35 per month to your loan plus a little interest and I have your payment set to begin on 12/2/2006. Is that a good time of the month to agree with your pay periods?"

Marv

feel...felt....found...great way to emphasize with the customer and then close on the true objection. I think the "If anything goes wrong, it'll happen in the first 36k" is a smokescreen and not the true objection. It's our job to find out what the true objection to buying an esc is.

I had a guy tell me one time that if he was buying a new vehicle...he absolutely would buy a esc...since he was buying a used one he wouldn't need it. I went "HUH?!?!" I tried to explain to him that his logic didn't make any sense. With a new vehicle, he was the history of it...he didn't know the history of this program vehicle which made all the more sense as to why he needed the esc. Sometimes customers just throw us a smokescreen to try and confuse us. We need to find the true objection and then ask..."OK...what else?"...and then close on the true objection.

onepounder

How about this one "I don't NEED that." or "I'll be fine."
I've heard the "I don't need that" so often that the last time a guy said that to me during my presentation, I laughed at him and said "how do you know that you won't NEED that? Are you the guy with the crystal ball I've been looking for? We could sure use you around here!" I know he really didn't want to buy a VSC, but he did it anyway and I think he'll keep it!

1of3FnI
Old 01-27-2009, 06:25 PM   #24
Miles

Everyday Tips..... Lets share ideas and tips to make mo money. --- Marv

It's easy to convince yourself that a majority of your customers won't buy the VSC if its marked up more. Therefore we get in the habit of selling VSC's at $200 over instead of $800-1000. I used to believe this myth until I forced myself to get better at selling VALUE not just a cheaper price. This has helped my end of the month totals more than anything else.

toccoakid

Came across this little nugget today. I cut it out and placed it under my blotter as a reminder to myself.

Sell what it does, not what it is.

Too often we find ourselves explaining the what instead of the why.

Da Bear

When a customer is returning to purchase again I always check R&R (ADP or whatever system that you're using) to determine what loan arrangements were completed last time. I'm looking for B/E products that are cancellable. I have my assistant calculate the refunds and apply them as a down payment and then explain that the amounts are considered a down payment which in turn will offset the cost of the new VSC, GAP or whatever product they buy. They sign the appropriate cancellation forms and we're off running again. These types are usually the easiest to close in the Finance office.

Marv

Rule one for me is to always start alittle higher than where I think I should on product pricing. Its easy to get comfortable at your $1695, $1895, $2495 for a VSC. Add $300 and then make sure your presentation is thorough. Another good closer for me is to add a "freebee" in...oil changes, tire & wheel pkg, or see the GM or DP and arrange a free gas card throw-in, etc.

I keep some plastic thingamajig, (I think its a blend air door not really sure) next to my calculator that came off a vehicle. When presenting a VSC, I will grab it and tell folks how this part costs about $6, but the labor to get to it replace it and then put the vehicle back together is about $1400...I find that is more effective than grabbing an Evidence Manual and making them look at R.O.'s which I sometimes think customers think are "pretend"...same people think the invoice, the real one we show them, is "pretend".

I also believe customers generally fit into about 10-12 profiles and some basic motivators are Fear, Prestige, Past Experience, Not Being Inconvenienced, Unable to afford a Repair Bill...there are many others, but these are some biggies in my book. I have sold VSC's to many folks who never used one to ever fix a broken vehicle because I recognized their motivator was never wanting to be inconvenienced. When we realized the use of a rental car and road side service, etc. would justify the cost of the VSC to them, the close was easy once they agreed the fact of all the component coverage was just a bonus.

Another example, is a shy, introverted customer would be very uncomfortable with a gregarious, talking with their hands F&I presentation. They want a low key primish and proper fact presentation. They want to give their money to someone who mirrors them, who is like them. A good F&I person can be a Cameleon when it comes to customers and mirroring them is fantastic trust builder. I have link in my profile to this deal called positive results and they have an archive of training articles. Some are relevant to what we do and a great one I got there was on body language. Body language is a biggie for me in sizing people up.

Julieh

$2 transmission seal...12 hours labor.

jimbo67

I always check the comp and collision deductibles. $500/500 doesn't necessarily mean bad, but $100/ACV usually means a customer who is "insurance friendly". It all goes toward having a good picture of the customer before they come into the office.

Mosca

Speaking of Insurance deductibles, I pay attention to those as well. I've used the deductible amount as a positive closing tool many times. If the customer is struggling with their new payment I may suggest to them that a higher deductible ($1000) will lower their insurance premium. I ALWAYS preface my remarks by asking them a few questions such as. "Are you accident prone with your vehicles?" "Can you lay your hands on $1000 if you were in a collision?" I tell them to check with their agent to determine their savings. I usually tell them that my personal insurance deductible is $1000 and it has a significant impact on my premium. This approach has closed many customers on the verge of a decision. The intent here is to discover as many cost saving measures as possible to cause the customer to take the plunge.

I've mentioned this one before on another thread I think. After payment negotiations stall and the customer is having a "doubting" moment as to the affordability of the payment I will ask if them if they would like some privacy to discuss among themselves. Usually they do. I pick up my cell phone and tell them when they are ready for me to return to open my door and that will be my cue to return. Works great. About 95% of the time customers will close themselves while I'm out.

Marv

Another tip which we all probably know but sometimes forget is to break everything down to the ridiculous. If a customer is financing for 60 months nothing costs $1000. It costs about $20/month or 66 cents a day. That's less than 1 trip to McDonalds a month for a family of four. You can easily give up one visit a month to a fast food place right?

dogsled

"Mr Jones, let me ask you this if you dont mind, and think about it for a second before you respond, OK? Here's my deal...I'll sign an agreement to mail to you, on the 1st of every month, for the next 72 months, a check for $40. Now, in return for that, YOU have to sign an agreement that states that during the next 60 months, if my car breaks down, you pay for the tow, you pay for the parts, you pay for the labor and you either rent me a car while mine is being repaired or you let me use yours. Now sir...do you want my $40?"

I have NEVER in 8 1/2 years, had anyone say, "Yes. I'll take your $40."

We've all heard it said before...

Present your products enthusiastically, and your closing ratios will climb. Now, Sat may have been an anomally, and maybe not. *shrug* Just have to wait and see. But here's the story and the back-story.

I get pd 15% of gross. Our Pre-Paid Maint plan, is in-house and we declare 50% of the price as "gross". (A higher price tends to be reflected in higher useage and thus a higher cost. At least, thats the theory.) The plan is supposed to include dealer warranty equal in term to the length of the pre-paid contract. I in the past, have not offered the dealer warranty, but instead have sold the manufaturers VSC. I run around 45% penetration with VSC and around 27-30% penetration on the Pre-Paid.

DP wants to see Pre-Paid in the 50% range, and we have had numerous discussions on this. I have stated, repeatedly, that I sell VSCs because I too have bills to pay and I simply cannot afford not to sell them. Offering the dealer warranty with the Pre-Paid, would slaughter my VSC sales, and thus my income. (A $1500 Pre-Paid generates 750 commissionable dollars. A $1500 VSC OTH, generates 1200 commissionable dollars.) Friday, they put forth a "trial" for the month of June. I get mt 15% across the board, BUT I also get an extra $100 for each Pre-Paid I sell.

Saturday, we did 3 ATVs and a street bike. (Not counting the dirt bike we did since that was an employee deal.) On those 4, I sold 4 Pre-Paid Maintenance Agreements. Yes, my presentation on the product was the strongest yet. The enthusiasm, was far and away the strongest and my efforts to overcome objections to it, were by far the most put forth to date.

So, 100% closed. I know 4 is too small a sample size for drawing absolute conclusions...but I think the proof is in the pudding so to speak. If you want to sell it badly enough, you can make it happen with your presentation.

JimD
Old 01-27-2009, 06:26 PM   #25
Miles

TK asked, so thought I'd try and put together a rough 'outline" of my general process.

Once the SP brings me the deal, signed off by the SM, I try and take a cple minutes WITH the SP to review the papers and get their feedback on the "type" customer being dealt with. I dont want their impression of easy/hard etc. I'm looking for a category...is this the "engineer" type buyer where facts and figures are key? Is this a nervous nellie where consoling and hand-holding will be essential. Is it a know-it-all sharpshooter who will challenge everything I have to say. Those are what I want from the SP. If the paperwork isnt complete, I send the SP back out to complete it. If it is complete, I build the deal (if its cash) after sending the SP out to entertain their customer, or if its in house finance, I submit the apps once I know how much money I need.

In powersports, with very few exceptions, I get immediate responses from my lenders. Once I have the approval, or once the app is pending, I go out and sit with the customer. I'm asking questions to gain insight as to this individuals buying habits and ownership history. Do they plan on full coverage insurance? (Optional with MANY motorcycle lenders.) What deductibles have they been carrying in the past? What claims experience have they had? {These will give me insight as to how "insurance friendly" they are.} How mechanically adept are they? What is their work schedule? Owned a bike before? How long did they have it? What happened to it or do they still ahve it? {These answers will give me ammo for closing the prepaid maintenance.} If they are previous owners of bikes and have been for a long time, I'll ask them to tell me of their best day of riding, and their worst day. {The worst day will almost invariably involve a flat tire. This paves the way for my T/W warranty.} This entire process, I try and limit to 5-6 minutes tops.

Having gained the ammo I need to counter probable objections, I return to my office, check any pending apps, and assuming I have sufficient dollars already approved...I add my B/E to the deal, and page the SP to bring their customer in to me.

Once the customer sits down, I turn my monitor to face them, and have them review for me their personal information on screen. I explain that this is the data that will be used by the system, to generate the title application etc, so please make sure everything is correct. {You might be amazed how often they tell me its right, only to point out a typo or something on the title app 10 minutes later.}

Once all personnel data is OK'd, I say;

"OK, now we'll go over the purchase structure and I'll let you know about some options which are available to you today." {I advance my software screen to the deal page, and review line by line the various entries therein. At each optional entry, I explain;

"This is one of the options I was telling you we'd cover, and we'll come back to that in a moment."

Once I've covered everything, I tell them;

"OK, w/o the options, you're minimum payment is XXXX at XXX%. Now, those options I spoke about. Let me start by stating that I have all of them on my own bike. Here's why....." {Begin selling. Once I've covered ALL of the options, I say;

"OK, your minimum payment WITH all of these options is XXXX. Does that work for you?" (Using revolving credit for some 70% of our sales, means that often times a loaded deal is only $30/m more than an empty one. Just for about 3 yrs longer, but since its revolving there is no way for me to know for sure. That same customer could make dble payments for a year, then come in and charge a 4k exhaust-performance upgrade to their card, and they're right back where they began.}

Once I have the customers OK, I ask if they'll be needing a helmet, boots, etc etc and if so, I calculate how much money they have left on their credit limit, and explain to the customer that if they spend more than XXX, then the payment will go up to YYYY. Then I turn them to our accessories dept. While they are there, we prep the title docs and all but the finance ticket and the Bill of Sale. Accessories brings me a pick-ticket (itemized list of what is being sought by the customer, I verify that we have room in the deal for it, confirm the new payment with the customer, and then accessories adds their goods into the transaction by attaching them to the units stock nr. I then execute the finance docs and BOS, get everything signed, make the temp plate and page the SP to come get their customer.

What am I looking for when I question the SP re their customer?

General categorization of this consumer.

What am I looking for when I interview the customer?

History and experiences of this particular consumer. General outlook/attitude toward insurance and protective programs.

What is my preferred method of closing a customer?

Story telling. I've been riding for 30-35 years. If it can happen on a bike, odds are I've done it. I've been run off the road, I've deliberately taken the ditch. I've dumped a bike trying to avoid a 4-wheeler and I've laid bikes down deliberately. I've ridden w/o safety gear and paid dearly for it, to the point that I now INSIST on "gearing up" before I ride. All of these personnel experiences, go a long ways toward closing a prospect.

JimD
Old 01-27-2009, 06:28 PM   #26
Miles

IMPORT VS DOMESTIC

You'd be very surprised at the number of customers who aren't buying it from you, but ARE buying it from Subaru's followup letter. Think of that; you're the professional, but people are buying the product BY MAIL, with no other prompting. Even at my numbers, there were always 10-15 people a year buying through the mail.

1) ALWAYS offer Gold/$0 deductible. Use Classic/$100 as a switch.

2) ALWAYS charge the retail price. Like Jim said in a different thread, if it's too cheap they'll think it has no value. That is especially true of Subaru customers.

3) The less you try to "sell", the more you'll sell. Present the product thoroughly, but impartially. "This is what you get (the factory warranty). This is what Subaru offers. Which do you feel is best for you?"

4) Continually identify the product with the manufacturer, and call it by name. It's not an extended warranty, or a service contract; it's Subaru Added Security.

5) Remember that people will always do what they feel most comfortable doing. Some people are more comfortable with coverage, other people are more comfortable with their $$ in their pocket. This has nothing to do with prudence; cheap people can also want to be covered. Overcome the "these cars don't break" with "True, they are better built than other makes, and thank you for recognizing that. And you might have noticed as you shopped, that the car IS worth the extra cost over a comparable sized car like a Malibu or a Stratus. The advantage for you here is that the lower frequency of repair is reflected in a lower cost for the Added Security, relative to other makes. And one thing is true; Subarus are more reliable, but if you do need a repair it is much costlier." Then close with your favorite close, whatever that is.

There's a lot you can say, if you know your product and have the answers ready. You'll have many, many repeat customers who've said that their cars have never broken, and if you look through their repair bills you'll see that it's not true; their cars have never LEFT THEM STRANDED, but they've always had things fixed during maintenance intervals. At 65k they may have had front CV joints; the cost didn't register because Subaru customers are big on regular maintenance and are used to a few hundred dollars bill every now and then. Find some of those and use them in your sales pitch, when it's prudent to.

Mosca

Generally, it takes a broader product offering in my experience, to get those nrs from an import store. You have buyers who by nature, are more conservative with their money. They have different "buttons" than most and you have to find a way of pushing those particular buttons. For ex, Honda buyers, will say that their cars will never breakdown. OK, lets assume thats true for the most part. With some 15,000 moving parts, and who knows how many non-moving parts which are still subject to failure (computer control modules anyone?)....a money back if not used VSC makes it much easier to achieve desired penetration levels.

At the same time, these buyers are rather vain for the most part, regarding their vehicles appearance. They will spend HOURS washing, dusting and primping the damn thing. This makes them natural buyers, of Appearance Protection packages. (And depending on your geography...Rust Proofing. With resale value being such a hot button for them....show them a photocopied page from Kelly Blue Book...indicating the difference in trade value between a given model at 4 yrs old in "clean" condition and that exact same model in "average" or "poor" condition. The difference between clean and poor, will almost certainly be more dollars than you are charging for your protection package. It was this discovery, which caused me to raise our protection package from 595 to 1495 for the total package. And you know what? My penetration INCREASED! The lower price, made people doubt its value apparently. But when I added $900 of PURE GROSS, at that price, they deemed it as having value and people were more willing to buy it.)

JimD

I go out to the sales floor and get my customers.
Hi Mr & Mrs X, My name is, and I just want to thank you for your business. We at z, know that today, you could have bought your vehicle anywhere, and I want you to know just how much we appreciate you buying your vehicle from us, and we want to assure that you continue to buy your vehicles from us in the future. So, is it alright if I ask you a couple of questions regarding your experience with the dealership so far? Typical response: Sure

Great, let's go into my office and chat.

Once in my office: As part of my duties, I am responsible for customer satisfaction, and as with the survey you will get in the mail from the manufacturer, we need you to be completely satisfied - not just satisfied, or very satisfied, but completely satisfied. So, need our sales rep greet you promptly, warmly, and professionally? Response: Yes
Did they demonstrate the vehicle and answer all your questions thoroughly and professionally? Response: Yes
Did they show you around the dealership and show you parts and service? Response: Yes
So up to this point, would you say you are satisfied, very satisfied, or completely satisfied? Response: Completely Satisfied.

Great Mr. & Mrs X, let me thank you again. Now, I need you to understand that as part of the manufacturer's survey, they are going to ask you about me, and if I thoroughly and professionally explained to you, your financial benefits. So let me ask you how many miles do you drive a day, how long do you typically keep your vehicles, etc., as I calculate best fit warranty. Then I ask, well Mr. & Mrs X, how would you like to control your vehicle maintenance cost so that it fits perfectly into your monthly budget? response is typically: sure, or what do you mean, and then I explain the product and address objections. I basically do the same thing for life & disability, with a twist of guilt to go along with it. You don't want to leave your family anymore burden than your leaving has already brought them, do you?

CBoyer

Heres one that just worked for me, had a customer that wanted to think about the vsc, tried three approaches none worked then an old new one popped in, I stood up and said follow me, went straight out the back door walked to the edge of the lot with him and stood there looking at the cars in the intersection, he immediately pulled out a smoke and lit up, thank the man for that I wanted one too he was all shaky and nervous I could tell it calmed him a bit anyway, I say look over there at that pickup with his windows down now check out that the car with there windows up, , Its Texas, not to hot today but anyhow, I say who do you thinks more comfortable or would be more comfortable if it was any hotter, he says, the car. I say poor old guy probably wasn't offered an extended warranty with out a smirk, then shut up, he didn't really say anything so I didn't either, changed the subject on me to what a beautiful day, When we got back to my office I didn't have to say anything about the warranty, he asked me to throw it in not even knowing how much it was, just went straight to the menu and pointed to what he wanted.

Gadna50
Old 01-27-2009, 06:31 PM   #27
Miles

GM Warranty penetration --- dlfin

Last month I had 60% penetration on GM financed vehicles. My problem is cash deals, I only had 10% pen. on cash sales. Most cash deals are on Caddy's that have 4yr/50 and now 5/100 pwr train. we sell Pont,Cad,Gmc.
The 5yr/100 has been a problem for me. At this store I up sell any back end products, no payment packing from floor.
Question for anyone having success with GM warranty or any other. What are the top 5 benefits you give a customer when talking about the vsc?

dlfin

your answer is in your question....The upgrade is ONLY a power train coverage increase, NOT the items that most often need repair and actually Mr customer that factory upgrade helps you as since then most service contract companies have lowered the cost of coverage since the manufactures warranty is now longer on the power train...

Put a positive spin on the factory upgrade while at the same time explain that its ONLY power train, not the items that need repair.

jaysamson

Not much help for Caddy buyers as they generally trade before warranty goes out.......

BDC

In which case you laud the transferability aspect.

"John, when you sell this car, lets say 3 years from now with 45,000 on the odometer...you put your ad in the paper:

2007 Cadillac Deville, 45k miles, 3 years/55,000 miles $0 Ded Man Serv Plan still applies.........

Couple boxes down in that same paper, is another '07 Deville. Same miles, same color even. But no mention of the warranty like coverage. Tell me John...whose phone is going to ring first?"

John: "Mine"

"Right. And whose going to get more for their used car?"

John: "I will."

"Right again. SO you can sell it faster, sell it for more and not have to face the costs of repairs yourself in the meantime. Now, did you prefer the 72/75k or the 72/100k plan?"

JimD

THE IVORY CLOSE
Mr Customer would you agree that if your new vehicle were 99.9% trouble free that it would be a wonderful experience.
Do you realize how many parts are on a vehicle?
Research tells me on average it is 15000 parts. That means that 14985 parts will be trouble free leaving 15 for potential problems. I believe in my product and think that 15 is even too many so lets cut it in about half. That leaves us 7 potential parts.
On average our service repair orders are about 2 1/2 hours at $80/hour. That is $200 in labor and parts are generally $2 to $1 of labor so that is a total repair of $600 plus tax. If that happens 7 times throughout your ownership experience that would total out to four thousand two hundred dollars plus tax. Wouldn't you rather protect your budget with this $1995 service contract? Hand them the pen.

lfdcapt

Or there's JimD's variation.....

Now, lets assume (deliberately said with a tinge of sarcasm in your voice), that YOU have the ONE virtually perfect car. So we'll cut by 1/3, that 15 component failure rate. That leaves 10 potential failures. But wait (said like those stupid commercials selling crap for $19.95...order now and....But wait!..) We assumed your vehicle to be nearly perfect! So we'll cut that 10 by half, and go to 5 component failures. One of our most common repairs, is to the A/C, and on average runs approx $1800 for parts and labor. If that or something similar happens 5 times throughout your ownership experience that would total out to NINE THOU-SAND dollars, plus tax. Wouldn't you rather protect your budget with this $2495 service contract? Hand them the pen.

JimD

Another VSC Objection --- Busman

How about this one. I'd love to hear how some of you overcome; "_________ are great cars, I have 200,000 miles on the one I have now and I NEVER had ANY problems with it. I'll just take my chances."
I appreciate any info, thanks!

Busman

LOL...I just had that one. I thought quickly on my feet and made the comment..."So, you've owned the last one for 10 years and no problems. You were very lucky. Statistics show that you will typically have AT LEAST two major repairs in your ownership of the vehicle. You dodged the bullet once. Do you really want to take that chance again...(pregnant pause)...Wouldn't eliminating costly repairs on your vehicle while keeping the same monthly investment in it make sense?

onepounder

And, one of my all time Mosca favorite......

"Yeah, and I heard your old car out in the parking lot talking to your new car and telling it not to break down. Fact is, that was that car, this is this one. You know how they say with investments, 'Past performance is not indicative of future results'? Your old car was built before the transmissions were computer controlled, before OBD3 diagnostics were required by law, before drive by wire throttle, before active computer controlled suspensions, before navigation and in-dash DVD and XM radio. Your new car is better... but it is also more complicated, and it will be more expensive if any of those complicated systems need to be repaired. For the difference of about $10 a week you can make sure that those repairs are covered for the next 7 years 100,000 miles. That's a GREAT deal. All I need is your acceptance right here and we can continue."

Mosca

I always reference that 24000 square foot facility in back known as the service department filled techs who have 5 kids and stay at home wives and live in NICE houses...they don't keep that place afloat on oil changes and tire rotations...but they do pay bills when all these vehicles that never break show up oddly enough, BROKEN!

Julieh

I keep a copy of JD power and associates list of owner reported problems per 100 vehicles delivered. The industry average is 227 problems per 100 vehicles delivered. "Mr Customer, this means that you only have a 227% chance of having a problem with your vehicle. Good thing you are buying a Toyota since they have only a 179% chance of having a problem. That is what is keeping the multi-million dollar facility we operate in the back open longer hours than our sales department. Congratulations on your good fortune with your last vehicle but hoping for the same luck again is like doubling down on the same number on the roulette wheel because you won last time. Chances are that you are going to be paying the house this time."

carguyJD

Believe me Mr. Smith, your choice is well thought out & you hasve selected a great car.

Let me ask you something; If you were to drive your new car for the next ___ years or ___ miles and it was to spend just one day in a service department, would you agree you had a dependable car? (Yes) Well let me share something with you. Currently, labor rates in dealerships are about $___ per hour. Consumer Reports stated that for every dollar in labor, you’d average two dollars in parts. That would equal about $___ per hour in shop charges. If your car was to spend, lets say ___ hours in our shop, that would equal $___. So, what this looks like to me is that if your car was in our shop for just ___ hours over the next ___ miles you would be $___ ahead. And keep in mind, the $___ doesn’t include rental, towing and nationwide service. The biggest factor is inflation protection. Who knows what labor rates will be five years from now. With enrollment, who cares? You won’t pay them anyway.

Can you see how having your car in our shop just ___ hours, you'd be $____ ahead? Not to mention all the other benefits like rental car, towing & nationwide service.

Then doesn't it make sense to go ahead with at least the Service Agreement so just in case something happens, you'd receive all the benefits the program provides?

Dave Sipus

Or...how about answering with..."Sir, you are fortunate indeed to have purchased one of the 10 vehicles in every hundred or so that truly never break...and I'm sure that's one of the reasons you are back here to see us again a decade later...Let me ask you, though, in the past 10 years are you aware of the amount of technological advances made in the manufacture of an automobile? Do you know we don't even have "mechanics" in our service department any more? No, we have "techs"...because they are trained like computer engineers.

Now, at $100 an hour, our "techs" can do much more than turn a wrench...why, at that rate it costs me about $30 just for the time it took me to find the hood latch....So, if you are absolutely positive that you have purchased another perfect vehicle and the moons are in the proper rotation and the planets were all aligned when this vehicle rolled off the technologically enhanced assembly line and became another of those 10 out of a hundred...then I agree with you, an extended service contract isn't a good idea...but if that's true why aren't you paying cash for this vehicle because surely you have also won the lottery!

evpam

Last edited by Miles; 01-27-2009 at 06:34 PM.
Old 01-27-2009, 06:38 PM   #28
Miles

Ok gang.....That was page 1. There are still 2 pages to go, but I am done for tonight. I hope that some of this will be helpful! Please forgive the dedicated motorcycle closes or any typos and such, I just didn't have the patience to edit them out tonight.
Old 01-27-2009, 07:58 PM   #29
Bozone101

It's great to see this stuff here. Thanks Miles
Bozone101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2009, 06:31 PM   #30
Snowrider

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bozone101 View Post
It's great to see this stuff here. Thanks Miles
Bozone!!! Glad to see ya' here, brother!! Welcome to the sane asylum!!

Off topic - you get above zero lately?
Snowrider is offline   Reply With Quote