Go Back   DealershipForum.com > Dealer Talk > General Discussions

Notices

General Discussions Car People talking about something other than the Car Business – Is there life outside of the Dealership?

Old 08-29-2011, 11:15 PM   #1
XDCX
Administrator

Default College Football - Where's Texas A&M headed

It seems like it's been awhile since we've had a College Football thread and I'm curious if most of our members are convinced Texas A&M is headed to the SEC? Or is there something else in the works?

I read an article that speculated that Fox Sports could cancel their contract with the Big 12 if Texas A&M leaves the conference - that's a $1 Billion threat. It will be interesting to see how this shakes out.

I'm still hoping for four "Super Conferences" with 16 teams each that will pave the way toward a College Football Playoff System. The BCS needs to be killed off.
XDCX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2011, 08:14 AM   #2
XDCX
Administrator

Default Seems almost certain Texas A&M's headed to the SEC

I read another article this morning indicating that Texas A&M wouldn't have sent a letter to the Big 12 unless they already knew exactly how this deal would play-out. That makes sense.

It will be interesting to see if there are any other major changes - I know the Pac 12 is hoping to grow to a 16 team league. Time will tell......
Old 08-30-2011, 08:24 AM   #3
gingersnap

There gone. Texas and Notre Dame will be in the big ten 2 3 yrs from now and that will be it.
gingersnap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2011, 08:48 AM   #4
possum

The new Longhorn Network is the sore spot. Texas A&M is tired of being the "little sister" to Texas.
possum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2011, 08:54 AM   #5
XDCX
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by gingersnap View Post
There gone. Texas and Notre Dame will be in the big ten 2 3 yrs from now and that will be it.
It will be interesting to see what happens with Notre Dame.

While I'm sure they've loved their independent status and all of the TV revenue they've received over the years I don't think they can ride that wave forever. The tough part is from a negotiation standpoint Notre Dame's program isn't as valuable today as it was 10 years ago.
Old 08-30-2011, 05:34 PM   #6
SHACOS
Super Moderator

I think Notre Dame need to get out of the independent boat. I've been a fan as long as I have been able to walk and even I am sick of them being coddled on NBC. It's time for some real competition.

And, of course, the BCS needs to go!
SHACOS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2011, 10:02 AM   #7
XDCX
Administrator

Default It's official - Texas A&M drops out of the Big 12 next June

Today's announcement was hardly a surprise but at least it's finally official - Texas A&M is dropping out of the Big 12 and headed for an un-named conference.

The Big 12 is reportedly hoping to fill the void with Notre Dame but recent statements from Notre Dame's Athletic Director suggest the school plans to retain their independent status. If Notre Dame's not available it's rumored that either BYU or SMU are likely targets.

I'd wager the odds are probably 99% that Texas A&M's headed to the SEC - but stranger things have happened.
Old 08-31-2011, 12:15 PM   #8
Lakeshow

In my opinion the BCS is as big of a scam on the american people as GM and Chrysler's bankruptcy. It's all about greed and politics. It's definitely time to ditch it and get back to crowning a real champion.
Lakeshow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2011, 01:05 PM   #9
XDCX
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lakeshow View Post
In my opinion the BCS is as big of a scam on the american people as GM and Chrysler's bankruptcy. It's all about greed and politics. It's definitely time to ditch it and get back to crowning a real champion.
Now that's an opinion I can agree with.

I remember last year hoping that Boise State would lose early in the season so I wouldn't have to hear the controversy all season regarding where they should be ranked. I really like Boise State but I don't think it's fair that some programs only have to play one or two tough opponents all year and then they prepare for their post-season Bowl Game.

Injuries are such a huge variable in College Football that a team with a powder-puff schedule has a real advantage.

That said, I think it will be hard to kill-off the BCS. There's a lot of money involved and you can bet none of the current top dogs want any changes.
Old 09-01-2011, 08:35 AM   #10
DealerEx

SMU going into the BIG 12 would be a total joke...they already have Baylor...all it does is weaken their credibility as a top conference. When you lose teams like Texas & Nebraska, you don't need to replace them with an SMU. They should have been talking to TCU a year ago...they knew this was coming. I'd much rather see TCU in the Big 12 than the Big East, and they have the record to justify it...Ranked #2 last year and undefeated. They've beaten alot of ranked teams the last 5 years, including several of the BIG 12...OU included. Patterson has never shied away from taking on ANY team they could get to play them, and they've beaten all but 3 teams they've played in the last 3 years. They've tried to schedule additional top teams in the last few years...but found that several had no interest in playing them...they preferred to keep their "soft" non-conference schedule for ranking purposes.
DealerEx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2011, 09:48 AM   #11
XDCX
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by DealerEx View Post
SMU going into the BIG 12 would be a total joke...they already have Baylor...all it does is weaken their credibility as a top conference. When you lose teams like Texas & Nebraska, you don't need to replace them with an SMU.
It will be interesting to see how the Big 12 responds to their latest challenge. There seem to be a growing number of people predicting the conference will get crushed as more teams make their moves. Time will tell....
Old 09-01-2011, 10:32 AM   #12
XDCX
Administrator

Default Will Oklahoma bail out on the Big 12?

I've got to admit, as a long time Pac-10 fan I like the following story from NBC Sports a lot - click here

The NBC Sports story suggests the future of the Big 12 is in the hands of Oklahoma University and if they bail-out there's a strong possibility the current Pac-12 will become the Pac-16.

Here are the teams that could be added to create a Pac-16:
  • Oklahoma
  • Oklahoma State
  • Texas
  • Texas Tech
It will be interesting to watch what happens. If the Pac-16 comes together then you know the other conferences will be hot to bring on new teams and create their own super-conference.
Old 09-01-2011, 11:05 AM   #13
ssdd

what are your thoughts on GA-Boise and LSU-Oregon?
ssdd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2011, 11:52 AM   #14
XDCX
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by ssdd View Post
what are your thoughts on GA-Boise and LSU-Oregon?
I probably have a West Coast bias so I'd favor Boise over Georgia and Oregon over LSU.

That said, the Oregon/LSU game should be very interesting to watch. Oregon's had some controversy over the off-season about possible NCAA recruiting violations and I think it's hard to open your season playing a top-tier opponent as an away game. It wouldn't shock me to see a LSU victory.

Concerning Boise State, they're a tough team to play against. Maybe it's easier since it's the first game of the year and Georgia can study the Boise State films and try to anticipate their play calling. That said, my money would still be on Boise State.
Old 09-01-2011, 12:29 PM   #15
ssdd

well, I think most on here know I am a Tennessee fan, and we are hosting the Montana grizzles at Knoxville. we are all hoping for a better year than the last few, hope Dooley can coach 'em up...

of course being a TN fan in GA is pretty tough... I don't care if we loose them all just beat GA. so I can have a year of peace...
ssdd is offline   Reply With Quote