Go Back   DealershipForum.com > Dealer Talk > General Discussions

Notices

General Discussions Car People talking about something other than the Car Business – Is there life outside of the Dealership?

Old 01-20-2011, 08:52 AM   #31
XDCX
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by ohiobuckeyes View Post
RC Auto Corporation in Phoenix, AZ had developed an iPad App. called DealTyper which the company uses to help sell cars and speed up the sales process.
While I love technology and believe the sales process will evolve as a result of new technology, I'm surprised the new DealTyper App for the iPad essentially eliminates the F&I Office.

Here's the quote from the report in the Arizona newspaper that caught my attention: "Camping said that his new DealTyper application might not be so popular with some dealers because the time that it traditionally takes to make the transaction is often used to up-sell customers on warranties and other items that the customer may not need or want."
XDCX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2011, 11:55 AM   #32
birch3x

Quote:
Originally Posted by XDCX View Post
While I love technology and believe the sales process will evolve as a result of new technology, I'm surprised the new DealTyper App for the iPad essentially eliminates the F&I Office.

Here's the quote from the report in the Arizona newspaper that caught my attention: "Camping said that his new DealTyper application might not be so popular with some dealers because the time that it traditionally takes to make the transaction is often used to up-sell customers on warranties and other items that the customer may not need or want."
We're an F$I based store, and to be honest that's the biggest reason we're getting through a difficult time in the car biz. We have almost zero cancellaton of service contracts or bank chargebacks. Maybe we'll look again if they add an app for it.
birch3x is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2011, 01:09 PM   #33
XDCX
Administrator

Default Mass email from Automotive News promoting New iPad App

I'm assuming everyone who subscribes to Automotive News received an email titled - How the iPad Will Transform the Way Cars are Sold

I opened the email and was greeted with the following message in capital letters - "The biggest selling innovation since the test drive" and it included a picture of an iPad with an App highlighting a used VW Jetta.

I was intrigued so I clicked on the iPad and was taken to a webpage that didn't even show an iPad. I may not be a marketing genius, but if you're going to send out an email suggesting you have "The biggest selling innovation since the test drive" it might be a good idea to have a webpage that actually provides information about your new app.

Granted, it's probably meant to be a tease for the NADA Convention, but who goes to NADA anymore?
Old 01-27-2011, 01:29 PM   #34
steve_biegler

Everything new is old. I have a book written in 1929 by 2 guys from Studebaker titled...Marketing Used Cars. It is really fascinating reading. They talk about..One Price....5 Day Like It Or Return It......Certified Used....Seperate salespeople.....Seperate building. And the funniest was in the last chapter. They said there was a new form of communication, "doubtful that this device will ever be used everywhere, but something to keep watching" .....................The TELEPHONE. So when I hear about anything that will change everything I'm very skeptical.
steve_biegler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2011, 02:18 PM   #35
birch3x

Quote:
Originally Posted by steve_biegler View Post
Everything new is old. I have a book written in 1929 by 2 guys from Studebaker titled...Marketing Used Cars. It is really fascinating reading. They talk about..One Price....5 Day Like It Or Return It......Certified Used....Seperate salespeople.....Seperate building. And the funniest was in the last chapter. They said there was a new form of communication, "doubtful that this device will ever be used everywhere, but something to keep watching" .....................The TELEPHONE. So when I hear about anything that will change everything I'm very skeptical.
Wow, are copies available?
birch3x is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2011, 05:40 AM   #36
steve_biegler

Quote:
Originally Posted by birch3x View Post
Wow, are copies available?
I don't know of any other copy. In my 12 years as a 20 group member I do not recall any one ever saying they had seen the book before. I have been thinking of having it reprinted but I'm not sure if there would much demand for it.
steve_biegler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2011, 09:25 AM   #37
XDCX
Administrator

Quote:
Quote:
I don't know of any other copy. In my 12 years as a 20 group member I do not recall any one ever saying they had seen the book before. I have been thinking of having it reprinted but I'm not sure if there would much demand for it.
That's awesome - the more things change the more they stay the same.

You should send that excerpt to Donna Harris at Automotive News. She's always looking for dealer-related topics to add to her Blog and I bet there are a ton of dealers who can relate to your skepticism about the sweeping changes that are going to revolutionize the car business.