Go Back   DealershipForum.com > Domestic Franchises and Independent Dealers > General Motors > Parts

Notices

Old 10-15-2009, 07:34 AM   #1
JoeRocket

Default Parts Manager Blog

A parts manager at a Tennessee GM store has been blogging for a little over a year and it's an interesting read. His situation isn't typical as he's a 'one man band' operation, but he still makes several good observations that you all might find interesting.

Check it out here: http://agmpartsmanager.blogspot.com/
JoeRocket is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2009, 09:08 AM   #2
SHACOS
Super Moderator

Good read! I thought this was interesting:

Cadillac is going farther up market, and will only be sold in metro areas?

Really? That actually seems a good idea and at least places them in the same ballpark as BMW / Mercedes / Lexus.
SHACOS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2009, 11:26 AM   #3
XDCX
Administrator

Thanks for the link - I finally had a chance to check out his blog.

I smiled when I read his comment that he didn't want to post anything that was too critical of GM. If we took that approach here we'd never have anything to talk about.

As I've said countless times, this forum is "not anti-factory, it's just pro-dealer" and that means on occasion we question the actions and motives of the OEMs.

I did sense that he was devoted to his job and the dealer he worked for and he wanted to help others improve their parts departments. I certainly salute that.
XDCX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2010, 02:07 PM   #4
tnpartsguy

Hello, and thank you very much for the comments.

Currently the blog is on hiatus. I've been very busy, plus I've had a few health problems.

I'm about to restart it, though... so stay turned!!
tnpartsguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2010, 03:22 PM   #5
XDCX
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by tnpartsguy View Post
Hello, and thank you very much for the comments.

Currently the blog is on hiatus. I've been very busy, plus I've had a few health problems.

I'm about to restart it, though... so stay turned!!
That's so cool - how did you find us?

I was just thinking of our member JoeRocket the other day. There's a great thread about a Service Advisor adjusting parts prices on repair orders and I figured Joe would have some insight.

Welcome to the forum and I wish you a speedy recovery on your health concerns.
Old 07-23-2010, 04:29 PM   #6
tnpartsguy

Default My Little Blog....

A new feature on Blogger shows you where your traffic came from. I showed 3 hits from this site, so I thought I'd come check it out. Glad I did. I'm a big poster on the DE.com forums, but since they changed to a fee based board system, the post count has dropped to almost nothing.

We had a problem recently with an SA giving out $50 Customer Loyalty Rewards to people that had never earned them. Needless to say the abuse was stopped.

I did make a new post today, and freshened up the look of the blog today. I have a list ot 4 or 5 topics I want to blog about soon, so stay tuned!
Old 07-23-2010, 06:53 PM   #7
XDCX
Administrator

Quote:
A new feature on Blogger shows you where your traffic came from. I showed 3 hits from this site, so I thought I'd come check it out. Glad I did. I'm a big poster on the DE.com forums, but since they changed to a fee based board system, the post count has dropped to almost nothing.
Cool - you've got to love the Internet.

Concerning DE.com, I'm guessing you're referring to DealersEdge.com? I used to read that forum on occasion and didn't realize they recently changed to a fee-based format.
Old 07-23-2010, 10:04 PM   #8
tnpartsguy

They did it about 9 months back I guess.

Oh, and I'm no longer a one-man show. I hired a driver/warehouse person trainee about a year ago, and a few months ago, I rehired the assistant body shop manager/estimater to help train her and to get my service counter under control. Everything was going fine until June 4th, which is the day I woke up at 4 with my right side unmoving. After a few hours the feeling was back, but I had a tingling, and I had to concentrate very hard to move my right side. My Speech wasn't effected. Finally got to the ER about noon...(why yes, I went to work....it WAS payday....) and they finally settled on a possible (probable) TIA... basically a mini-stroke. I'm fine, I'm just on lots of meds now that really slow me down and keep me from doing a lot of things I'd like to be doing.
Old 07-27-2010, 09:47 AM   #9
XDCX
Administrator

Quote:
Everything was going fine until June 4th, which is the day I woke up at 4 with my right side unmoving. After a few hours the feeling was back, but I had a tingling, and I had to concentrate very hard to move my right side. My Speech wasn't effected. Finally got to the ER about noon...(why yes, I went to work....it WAS payday....) and they finally settled on a possible (probable) TIA... basically a mini-stroke. I'm fine, I'm just on lots of meds now that really slow me down and keep me from doing a lot of things I'd like to be doing.
I was just catching up on some posts I missed. Sorry to hear about your mini-stroke and I hope you have a full recovery.

As a side note, I think most doctors would recommend you go to the Emergency Room first when you think you're having a stroke. Going to work first is frowned upon....