Go Back   DealershipForum.com > Dealer Talk > General Discussions

Notices

General Discussions Car People talking about something other than the Car Business – Is there life outside of the Dealership?

Old 11-05-2012, 10:58 AM   #16
birch3x

Quote:
Originally Posted by XDCX View Post
I understand you likely included this criteria so you could keep all of your options open, but I guess I'm old school because I still like it when dealership managers and their employees drive the brand of vehicle they sell or service.

In my opinion it's almost hard to buy a bad car in 2012. Sure there are still a few cars that have known product problems but for the most part I can think of at least one car from each OEM that I'd be happy to drive on a daily basis.
2012 RAM 1500 QC. Now I have 3 trucks and a Wrangler....When I first got into the car biz, just before dirt was invented, the emplyees who bought other brands sort of disappeared...
birch3x is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2012, 12:06 PM   #17
XDCX
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by tnpartsguy View Post
The car I want- Mini Countryman S (2wd- not All4).
I really like the original (BMW era) Minis but I don't like the new Countryman version. In my opinion it's too big to be a Mini and it hurts the brand.

That said, my opinions have proven to be wrong in the past. I never liked the idea of a four door Porsche sports car but it's proven to be very popular in the market.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tnpartsguy View Post
What I'll end up with is probably a Hyundai Sonata Hybrid.
I've noticed quite a few of the Hyundai Hybrids on the road. I like the looks of the vehicle and think it would be a great fit for your needs.
XDCX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2012, 12:42 PM   #18
XDCX
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by birch3x View Post
...When I first got into the car biz, just before dirt was invented, the emplyees who bought other brands sort of disappeared...
That fits with my early experiences too - especially with rural/family stores where everyone in the community knew what the dealership employees were driving.

Granted, times have changed but I'm sure there are still some customers who wonder why a dealership employee doesn't drive the product they represent.
Old 12-27-2012, 02:19 PM   #19
rlnstns

Infinity G35x or G37x. Beautiful styling. Handles well. Fun to drive and AWD for the not so nice days.
rlnstns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2013, 01:06 PM   #20
TheRealMcCoy

I bought my last car two weeks before the Scion FR-S hit the showroom at my dealership but I'm pretty sure that I have my wife convinced that it needs to be her next car... but not until the TRD supercharger is released.
TheRealMcCoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2013, 06:23 AM   #21
lsx only

Quote:
That said, my opinions have proven to be wrong in the past. I never liked the idea of a four door Porsche sports car but it's proven to be very popular in the market.
Our neighbor at the beach, had a 4 door porsche and had so many problems with the car porsche took it back and replaced it with a coupe. This guy takes great care of his cars I was suprised he had so many issues with it.

Last edited by XDCX; 03-12-2013 at 08:44 AM. Reason: Added quote tags to make the post easier to follow
lsx only is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2013, 08:45 AM   #22
XDCX
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheRealMcCoy View Post
I bought my last car two weeks before the Scion FR-S hit the showroom at my dealership but I'm pretty sure that I have my wife convinced that it needs to be her next car... but not until the TRD supercharger is released.
I'm a big fan of the FR-S and I love some of the TV commercials I've seen promoting the car.
Old 03-12-2013, 08:50 AM   #23
XDCX
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by lsx only View Post
Our neighbor at the beach, had a 4 door porsche and had so many problems with the car porsche took it back and replaced it with a coupe. This guy takes great care of his cars I was suprised he had so many issues with it.
Interesting.

I remember VW was having a barrage of quality problems several years ago and I recall reading that problems with Porsche's SUV were pulling down the brands J.D. Powers scores.

Concerning the Porsche Panamera, I still don't like the looks of it but I can't argue with its sales success.
Old 03-12-2013, 08:59 AM   #24
s-works

I would go Toyota Prius. I used to make fun of these cars and their owners but have changed my outlook towards them. Hey I used to make fun of Apple fanboys. The Prius offers plenty of room and while I love v8's I don't dislike the way the Prius drives. The Prius also holds its value well.
s-works is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2013, 07:07 PM   #25
mryan55

Hyundai Genesis 5.0 R-Spec... provided the model hangs around long enough for me to snag one... only 7,000 miles on my current car at this point.
mryan55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2013, 10:44 AM   #26
XDCX
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by s-works View Post
I would go Toyota Prius. I used to make fun of these cars and their owners but have changed my outlook towards them. Hey I used to make fun of Apple fanboys. The Prius offers plenty of room and while I love v8's I don't dislike the way the Prius drives. The Prius also holds its value well.
Wow, those are all good points but I'm not ready to drive a Prius yet....

I'll concede, however, that if a person only looked at a vehicle as a form of transportation that the Prius is a logical choice - especially when you factor in resale value.
Old 03-20-2013, 10:54 AM   #27
XDCX
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by mryan55 View Post
Hyundai Genesis 5.0 R-Spec... provided the model hangs around long enough for me to snag one... only 7,000 miles on my current car at this point.
Interesting choice.

I've always loved the BMW M5s from 2000 - 2003 and in many ways the Genesis 5.0 R-Spec shares a lot of the same attributes. Who would have guessed back in the 80s that Hyundai would be selling $48K+ vehicles equipped with a 429 HP V8...

While I love the look of the Genesis vehicles, I still think they're held back by the Hyundai branding. If I were running Hyundai's U.S. operations I'd create a new brand/franchise called Genesis and offer it to the top selling Hyundai dealers in a manner similar to Toyota's treatment of Scion.
Old 04-04-2013, 09:47 AM   #28
XDCX
Administrator

Quote:
While I love the look of the Genesis vehicles, I still think they're held back by the Hyundai branding. If I were running Hyundai's U.S. operations I'd create a new brand/franchise called Genesis and offer it to the top selling Hyundai dealers in a manner similar to Toyota's treatment of Scion.
I thought of this post yesterday while I was taking a walk and I stopped to look at a car in a parking lot. The car was a two-door coupe and I was looking at it from the front end and I couldn't figure out what it was. I liked the look of the car (and I loved the color) so I decided to check it out.

It was a Genesis coupe and there wasn't a single Hyundai badge anywhere on the vehicle. (The branding on the hood medallion simply said "Genesis" and "Genesis" and the model were displayed on the trunk.) The only Hyundai badging I saw was on the glass of the vehicle.

I can see a day when Hyundai will create a Genesis brand and it appears they're already headed in that direction.
Old 04-04-2013, 07:47 PM   #29
AR2

Quote:
I understand you likely included this criteria so you could keep all of your options open, but I guess I'm old school because I still like it when dealership managers and their employees drive the brand of vehicle they sell or service.
I've been meaning to comment on this post, so here it goes. This was the way it was at our Chrysler dealership. My dad made sure that everybody in the family drove Chrysler products while the dealership was still in business. He thought that it sent a bad signal to the consumer if an employee/owner drove a competitor's product. Even after my grandpa sold the business, we still pushed the Chrysler support with our Mopars running around town. My first car was a 1986 Dodge Daytona Turbo... and I followed it up with other Chrysler products. That all changed in 2002 when I ordered my first new car... a 2003 Ford Mustang Mach 1. It was a different experience because it was my first non-Mopar. However, I was supporting a business that employed my dad for several years, so I figured I owned them a sale. Plus, they were a great dealership to work with.

As for the original question... what would I get for my next car/daily driver? Here is my list of choices (starting from most likely and going from there):
1) 2014 BMW 435i coupe
2) 2014 Chevrolet Corvette Stingray coupe
3) 2013 BMW 328I sport sedan
4) 2014 or 2015 Ford Mustang GT 5.0 or Shelby GT500 coupe
AR2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2013, 09:39 AM   #30
XDCX
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by AR2 View Post
As for the original question... what would I get for my next car/daily driver? Here is my list of choices (starting from most likely and going from there):
1) 2014 BMW 435i coupe
2) 2014 Chevrolet Corvette Stingray coupe
3) 2013 BMW 328I sport sedan
4) 2014 or 2015 Ford Mustang GT 5.0 or Shelby GT500 coupe
That's a nice list of cars - we have similar tastes.

I really like Ford's 5.0 liter "Coyote" engine in the Mustang. Even though there are engines that produce more power, the high-winding 5.0 liter seems to have more "street-able" power. It reminds me of the days when a well-tuned 340 Mopar would outrun a similar car equipped with a 383 Big Block.